Schwalbe Ultremo ZX blow-up today.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

I recently bought a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires, put on my wheels, filled to about 130 PSI, went for a 30 miles ride "but" for my suprise but still incredibly lucky, my back tire just explode "LOUD" in front of my door with the bike already stopped, putting the key to get into the house.
My tube blow up to 4 inches cut hole

NOTE: I did installed right!

Has anyone ever had the same problem?

Wheels used: Shimano Dura Ace 7801 Clincher or tubeless.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php ... anoduraace

These wheels can be set up for Clincher or tubeless and Supposedly can be used with any Clincher tire.

njleach
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:46 am

by njleach

i had a pair of schwalbe ultremo tubular light's and they lasted <100km before flatting - particularly bad sidewall protection - this was on a normal training ride where i'll get ~2000km out of a pair of conti GP4000's

by Weenie


rambotan
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 am

by rambotan

I had a blowup on a 7900 C24 on the rear but I was on Continental GP4000S. Exploded with tube in a few pieces, tyres came off rim and caught between frame and rim, rim locked and destroyed.

inthedrops
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

by inthedrops

Blowouts happen for various reasons related and unrelated to "tire quality". I'm not sure what direction you want this thread to go.

User avatar
DMF
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 am
Location: Sweden

by DMF

I suppose the 130psi could have something to do with it, and if you're so heavy (like say 110kg+) that you need that pressure, you shouldn't run 23c tires. I was 80-85kg this past season and ran 23c Ultremo ZX right below 100psi without any punctures that could've been avoided with higher pressure. I ride hard and the roads are absolute crap where I live. Hit plenty of potholes...

foofighter
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm
Location: Norcal

by foofighter

You almost certainly pinched the tube when installing. Also, there is no reason to run 130psi, not that it wouldn't have blown at 105psi.

njleach
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:46 am

by njleach

foofighter wrote:Also, there is no reason to run 130psi, not that it wouldn't have blown at 105psi.


Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought running higher pressures with tubulars also assisted with keeping the tire 'pressed' onto the rim (along with the rim tape/glue) - and running lower pressures will mean more tire-flex when cornering hard etc... - the higher tire pressure improves the rigidity of the rim/tire together?

I'm not advocating always running a higher tire pressure but certainly in a crit or similar where there is a lot of tight cornering I will go a few psi higher

HillRPete
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Pedal Square

by HillRPete

njleach wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought running higher pressures with tubulars also assisted with keeping the tire 'pressed' onto the rim (along with the rim tape/glue) - and running lower pressures will mean more tire-flex when cornering hard etc... - the higher tire pressure improves the rigidity of the rim/tire together?

I'm not advocating always running a higher tire pressure but certainly in a crit or similar where there is a lot of tight cornering I will go a few psi higher

Guess it's not that simple -- too much pressure means less grip. Got to find the sweet spot.

User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

I am 146 pounds 5'10.

I did not use any tool when instaling the tire, so it was not caused because of that.

I forgot to mention; before my ride (same day) still in my garage, I blown up the first tube while I was filling the tire ... same thing happened but this time I thought it would have been for my mistake, for not having the tire seated correctly...even making sure I had installed correctly.

So two blowouts in the same day...

I'm thinking here that maybe it was because of the hybrid Clincher/Tubeless rim ?!

Question: is the DA C24 have the same hybrid rim?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5851
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

njleach wrote:
foofighter wrote:Also, there is no reason to run 130psi, not that it wouldn't have blown at 105psi.


Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought running higher pressures with tubulars also assisted with keeping the tire 'pressed' onto the rim (along with the rim tape/glue) - and running lower pressures will mean more tire-flex when cornering hard etc... - the higher tire pressure improves the rigidity of the rim/tire together?

I'm not advocating always running a higher tire pressure but certainly in a crit or similar where there is a lot of tight cornering I will go a few psi higher


Where does this come from?
Higher pressures do not keep tubulars tyres on their rims, if anything it would put more pressure on spokes, rims and hubs but other than that ?....

I can explain all the other "old fashioned" and in this case absolutely wrong ideas about highly inflated tyres and facing reality...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Johnny Rad
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:22 am
Location: Zion

by Johnny Rad

You're describing my experience with lightweight tubes before I exercised the requisite patience during tube / tire installation. The tube gets caught / pinched and explodes whether I was using a tire iron or not. Sometimes it popped right away and sometimes a little while later. It's super frustrating, but here's the best advice I found on this site: finish at the valve stem because you can pull on it to minimize the pinch risk. My success rate significantly improved by heeding this advice.

Tokyo Drifter
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:28 am

by Tokyo Drifter

it was you. you probably put the tube in with a kink or fold.

why this necessitates a thread I do not know.

User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

I'm sure was not me. Long story short, this tire should hold up to 145 PSI (700x23) but could not resist 130 PSI. I change tires for almost 20 years now, taking care of the process step by step and that was the first time that this incident happened to me...So I have all the reasons to blame the tire.

User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

Clarifying, not the tire that exploded into pieces, like rambotan said, my tire also came off the rim on both sides and this caused the tube to explode in a 4 inches hole. So this shows that the tire could not stand the pressure.

by Weenie


User avatar
btompkins0112
Posts: 2693
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:04 am
Location: Mississippi

by btompkins0112

andreszucs wrote:Clarifying, not the tire that exploded into pieces, like rambotan said, my tire also came off the rim on both sides and this caused the tube to explode in a 4 inches hole. So this shows that the tire could not stand the pressure.


Sounds like the rim to me......either the tire wasn't seated in the rim, or there is some bend or dent in the rim. :noidea:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post