Convert a shimano front brake caliper to a rear?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I wrongly order a front shimano caliper for my TT rig and actually need a rear. Anyone know where I'd get a pivot bolt shown in shimano tech doc's?

Key:
Front (highlighted blue)
Rear (highlighted yellow)
Attachments
6700-Brake-Caliper-Tech-Doc.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

Probably easier to cut the bolt down and put a thread on it.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

surely someone sells a Ti version and then I can save weight at the same time (this is WW after all!) :thumbup:

eric

by eric

Toronto Cycles sells Ti bolts for Shimano calipers. I have a set of 7800s tuned with them.

If you are not mechanically inclined you will find disassembing and reassembing the calipers less than enjoyable. Especially if you like working brakes. If you're a reasonably good mechanic they're not difficult.

I use small locking pliers to unhook the return spring without scratching the calipers.

ms6073

by ms6073

eric wrote:If you are not mechanically inclined you will find disassembling and reassembling the calipers less than enjoyable.
For the OP, also take note of item 7 as that is a very small bearing race with micro sized bearings. I took apart a set of DA 7900 to try and find a way to make them expand a tad wider for Zipp Firecrests and was surprised when a bunch of sub ~1mm diameter ball bearings suddenly spilled out and rolled across the workbench.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"