Putting mechanical groupset on a 'Di2 only' frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

Hi all- I have a Canyon Endurace Disc that is supposedly Di2 only. I have a new Giant TCR frameset arriving soon and wanted to put my Di2 on that and put a lower spec mechanical groupset like 105 on the Canyon and use it as a winter bike with mudguards/fenders. Would this be possible?
Pic of my Canyon attached.
Attachments
IMG_1221 2.PNG

RECAR77

by RECAR77

only option that doesn't involve drilling the frame is to run full length external housing. for that you need a current gen shimano 11s FD that has the integrated cable stop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlieDG

by CharlieDG

RECAR77 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm
only option that doesn't involve drilling the frame is to run full length external housing. for that you need a current gen shimano 11s FD that has the integrated cable stop.
Hi- thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was a way to do it internally. The holes on the downtube, toptube and chainstays definitely look big enough. I guess external cabling might not look terrible, particularly as it would be a winter bike. If I was to do it external would this do any damage to the frame?

RECAR77

by RECAR77

zip ties will probably leave an imprint in the paint after some time. masking with helicopter tape would be wise if resale value is a concern.

if you stalk ebay for a bit I assume you could manage to get a mix of 6870 derailleur (RD-6870, FD-6870, ST-R785) parts and 5800 drivetrain parts (FC-5800for not much more than a new r7000 hydro groupset.

you can also combine new hydro di2 shifters with 10s 6770 di2 IF you were to get a great deal for FD/RD there. just remember that FD and RD have to match in speed (can't combine RD-6770 with FD-6870)

LewisK

by LewisK

External wouldn't be ideal if you're using it as a winter bike. The cables/wires will be exposed to water, salt, grit e.t.c

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RECAR77

by RECAR77

LewisK wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:09 am
External wouldn't be ideal if you're using it as a winter bike. The cables/wires will be exposed to water, salt, grit e.t.c
exposed how? having full length housing is the best way to have a mechanical groupset on a winter bike. if it's full length it doesn't matter if it's internal or external