One shot left. Rounded disc brake mount screw

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Bigger of a time dealing with these screws, reckon guy who did the install overtorqued them.

Last one to come off moved a touch then the hex slipped. That one slip was enough to ruin any chance of another proper shot.

Sawed across the bolt but again the screw chipped a little under force so now you can’t get any purchase on it with the flathead.

Just sawed another channel into it again. Last shot.

Any tips?

Currently it’s not wide enough to take the flathead anyway. Thinking it over first.
2BFC8E5A-A038-4E5B-AF25-E8689075BCBD.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RECAR77

by RECAR77

last resort is flexing the head completely off. once the tension is gone (and the threads aren't damaged) it should be able to unscrew relatively easily by gripping the rest of the threads with pliers

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

If you have the other bolt off, try and rotate the whole assembly counterclockwise if possible. That should loosen the bolt enough hopefully.

R0CKETMAN

by R0CKETMAN

Ez out with a bit of heat

tinozee

by tinozee

Have you tried an extractor bit? Usually the hack saw to make a deep groove for a flat head works.

Shrike

by Shrike

Tension is gone now... you can move the mount side to side under it, just about. Still an absolute bugger.

Does that mean if the head is taken off, it won't be removable with pliers and the fork is written off? :shock:

Didn't use an extractor bit.. screwdriver couldn't get enough torque, so had to buy this weird thing which worked for a tiny turn until the bowl chipped again: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Facom-AGT-ISOR ... 809&sr=8-2

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Would second the suggestion to use an extraction bit.

It's gentle compared to banging and heating. You want to keep your fork intact after all.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Maddie

by Maddie

Definitely bolt extractor. Get a high quality one since you are running out of options quickly.
A bit of heat can be helpful in case loctite was used. But be careful, paint doesn't like heat a lot.

RECAR77

by RECAR77

Shrike wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:39 pm
Tension is gone now... you can move the mount side to side under it, just about. Still an absolute bugger.

Does that mean if the head is taken off, it won't be removable with pliers and the fork is written off? :shock:
if the brake adapter moves without much force then I assume the thread is galled. since I assume the insert in the fork is alu and the bolt is steel, the fork might be destroyed no matter if you remove the bolt or not. but there is no way of telling until you manage to remove the bolt. definitely try a screw extractor before removing the head.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah looks like
Loctite comes on these SRAM bolts. Other screws were a bugger too, and I think the Loctite is partly the blame. The blue stuff though, not supposed to be that strong. I use it myself on other parts and it’s fine.

Checking out this easy out thing. Never heard of it before today. You guys would give the flat head one more shot (after widening it) then if not use the bolt extractor thing? Guess a I’ll need one that’s super small..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RECAR77 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:01 pm

if the brake adapter moves without much force then I assume the thread is galled. since I assume the insert in the fork is alu and the bolt is steel, the fork might be destroyed no matter if you remove the bolt or not. but there is no way of telling until you manage to remove the bolt. definitely try a screw extractor before removing the head.

I doubt it’s galled. What’s more likely is someone cross-threaded the bolt and kept on going.

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

One option is to file both sides of the head and use a small adjustable wrench, worked for me on similar screw.
IMG_5051.jpg
IMG_5052.jpg

Shrike

by Shrike

Daniel that’s really clever! Will try the second channel with a flathead tomorrow ( need find a way to widen it just a touch) and then if that fails I’ll make it wrenchable!

Bought replacement bolts too, SRAM ones. Remove the loctite they come with from them?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Get yourself a lefthand drillbit of the proper diameter along with the extractor bit. You will have to drill a hole to install the extractor bit anyway but with the lefthand drillbit you might just get it to come out if the threads are not to damaged. As you drill into it and if lucky the lefthand bit will pick up and the bolt will back right out. If not then your drilling a hole to place the extractor into anyway so no loss there. Try to get that bit centered on the head as best you can typically with a smaller drillbit after you have centerpunched it.
Good luck.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I have an excellent team mate to whom I always send such parts. Even though he has moved away, I send him parts that have been brought to me. As well as the solutions you have highlighted, his solutions include spot welding a hex bolt into place for larger seized parts, and ultimately to drilling out the centre of the offending bolt at which point threads often fall away, and then retapping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com