MC053 Carbon Seat Post Conversion - Saved 111g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hiro11

by hiro11

I have the same frame and also noticed that the seat post is very heavy. I'm not willing to go to the lengths you went to, though, especially considering that this is hardly a featherweight frame in the first place. I do like the frame though. Very stiff and handles well. Also, it looks cool.

lo5707

by lo5707

maxxevv wrote:You need to shorten that front bolt another 5-7mm else its going to poke the saddle when you get on.

Looking at it again, seems that you should swap the 2 bolts. The longer one should be at the back and the shorter one in front. :wink:

Think i will just swap them around, cutting Ti bolts is easier said than done. The reason it looks like that is because the bar/rod is meant to be angled down a little more at the front, but then it wouldn't have fit my post.

bura wrote:Very nice job lo5707. :thumbup:
BTW,happy with your Chinese saddle on longer rides? I bought the same saddle but have not done enough long rides to judge.

I find i slip around quite a bit on the smooth carbon compared to leather covered. Not quite as much flex as i had hoped for. But for £40 from ebay (China) i cant really complain too much.

lyot wrote:Great job ! That's also a great looking saddle. Where did you get that one ?

£60 from ebay (China). 109g
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-carbon-R ... 3f21d41e68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hiro11 wrote:I have the same frame and also noticed that the seat post is very heavy. I'm not willing to go to the lengths you went to, though, especially considering that this is hardly a featherweight frame in the first place. I do like the frame though. Very stiff and handles well. Also, it looks cool.

The frame is not feather weight i agree (about 1900g for frame/fork/seatpost i recall), but for £350 you can't complain too much.....hence why i bought the second seat post as it was cheap enough to give this idea a go. BUT mu build currently stands at 6.27Kg (13.8lbs) and that is before i cut the post head - Not bad i would say?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamr1

by jamr1

Great weight savings

LouisN

by LouisN

Great work !!!

Best part is you got rid of the worst clamp system, first thing :beerchug: AND saved a lot of weight. .

Louis :)

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Bro, Awesome job. However, you could trim the front bolt as it has a few to many threads sticking out :)
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

lo5707

by lo5707

teufelhunden222 wrote:Bro, Awesome job. However, you could trim the front bolt as it has a few to many threads sticking out :)

Easier said than done with Ti bolts. I will give it a go with the diamond cutting disc on the dremel.

PSM

by PSM

Great job but it does not loook straight?!

lo5707

by lo5707

PSM wrote:Great job but it does not loook straight?!

You are right the edge of hole to left side is 5.6mm, edge of hole to right side is 6.3mm (0.7mm difference).
Ho-Hum never mind. It doesn't affect the lay of the saddle anyway.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Offset to one side is a small deal, but it also looks like the saddle is tilted to the right. you may need to file the cradle part of the post a little to level it out.

lo5707

by lo5707

It may just be an optical illusion from the photo as i did do a lot of the fine tuning with a file to get the saddle level. Although i will now go and check again with a spirit level :wink:

1spd

by 1spd

Kick @$$! Came out really nice. Looks like the rear hole is off a little but obviously it works just fine! Looks so much better w/ your design!
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

QuinnTO

by QuinnTO

I have been thinking of doing this to a heavy carbon post I have laying around. Does anyone know where to source the necessary clamping parts (yokes and bolts).

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi QuinnTO, refer to one of lo5707 previous/above post. The details are indicated in that post ... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lo5707

by lo5707

QuinnTO wrote:I have been thinking of doing this to a heavy carbon post I have laying around. Does anyone know where to source the necessary clamping parts (yokes and bolts).

QuinnTO, you can buy all the separate parts of the clamp from various places and costs, although the carbon cradles are harder to come buy. I found i could buy one of these (eXotic Carbon Titanium Seatpost http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=797&) off of ebay with all the bits i needed new for around £40/€50/$60 and just discard the post. Comes in cheaper than buying all the parts separately.