Vittoria Rubino Pro (3?) Folding tyre and grip in wet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Honestly, you get what you paid for. They are inexpensive and passable tires, but spend good money for rubber during the more extreme months. Contis mentioned are all good. I had great success with Michelin 25mms in recent winters as well. The Conti 4 Seasons are perhaps overkill, but still ride very well and are surprisingly light. If you are having flatting issues, the extra peace of mind may justify that overkill...

legs 11

by legs 11

Agreed, you get what you pay for. I had no illusion these weren't cheap and cheerful tyres, but was shocked just how bad they are in the wet.
I just don't want to drop £50-£70 on some rubber and make the wrong choice. I'm paying retail for everything now and I'm a poor student too. Just paid my study fees last week so wasting cash is a bad move. :(
I used to like the Michelin Pro 3 Grip as they always seemed a good compromise between performance and robustness. Can't find them any more. Is the Pro 4 Endurance a similar type of construction?
What's the way to go in the Michelin range?
Other than that it'll have to be the Conti's I suppose.
Thanks for the suggestions dudes......It's only been 2-3 years off the scene, but everything has moved on and I'm still stuck in the past..lol.
Pedalling Law Student.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lechat

by lechat

I've had good luck with them puncture wise, and the ride seems supple for an inexpensive tire. But as said, they're terrifying in the wet. Sphincter tightening time.

Valy

by Valy

OP - 4000s are very good all rounders, winter or summer.

I've recently got Open Pave CGs 25mm and daum... sure they are not the cheapest hah, but my god are they good. The rubber seems grippy but the suppleness of the tyre also feels like it's adding a lot to the grip! I don't even have a job right now, but these tyres are worth saving up for as they are Open Corsa Evos but without the *thouchwood* fragility issues!

Completely superb.

counterkulture

by counterkulture

Trained on the treaded Pro3 tires the last two winters in Portland, so you know it was wet every single time from about Sep-May.

Actually didn't have that many problems with them sliding out or fishtailing, and aside from running over a battery and then a pile of broken beer bottle glass, they didn't cut up once.

Then I had a pair of Pro Slicks that i kept on my bike into the beginning of last fall when it started to get wet, and holy crap was that a suicide mission. Might as well have sprayed them down with silicone or something. And any sort of climbing above a 2% grade with any power and you were spinning out and throwing yourself sideways.

Cheap tires, pretty light... so maybe recommended for people who live where it's infrequently wet and who are getting into riding and don't want to drop $130 for a pair of GP4000s.

Valy

by Valy

130 USD or Australian?

euan

by euan

You can get a pair of GP4000S 25mm for £45(plus 4% cashback) right now on PBK no real excuse to buy good tyres expensively