Can a custom wheelset outperform Ksyrium sl wheels for less?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

brettmess24 wrote:Do you have the time or desire to build your own wheels? You would probably save a small fortune down the line but your initial cost would be high for tools and such......

Hmmm... I built a lot of wheels with nothing but a spoke wrench as a tool...

You should have one of those anyway, so the investment in tools is really zero.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

JKS wrote:If anyone rates any wheelbuilders in Aus (Qld)

Tristan in NZ... but I don't know anyone in Oz that does it.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

JKS wrote:Does anyone with experience on zen's suggested velocity rims want to dispute this (I don't have much idea)?

I'd rate them as about average. Prices have gone up since they moved to the US, and it seems they still don't have all their "moving issues" figured out, but I'm sure they'll get there.

Kinlin rims are cheap and generally very good for strength/weight but QC is spotty.

DT rims are better than average for QC, but not very interesting otherwise.

Stan's 340s are light and now strong enough and pretty straight.

Hed C2s are the straightest and roundest, but expensive and only >24h.

The HPS Archetypes are almost clones of the Heds but are cheaper, and seem good so far.

The Pacenti SL23 looks like a promising new rim.
formerly rruff...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Tokyo Drifter wrote:
What do you mean by this and is it a bad thing?

And yet still more likely to be in stock at a local bike shop than your earlier suggestion of sapim cx-rays.

Has anyone done any testing on box section wheels to quantify aerodynamic qualities?

Well, it may not be a terrible thing, but it really takes the soul out of the wheelset IMO.

A broken Cxray doesn't need to be replaced with a Cxray. You can use any spoke to replace it while you wait for your Cxray replacement to arrive. That sure as hell ain't gonna happen with a Ksyrium.

Yes I believe Rouse Artisinales did testing on the Ksyriums.

EDIT: Looks like someone already posted it. And I did lie. Ksyriums aren't the least aero wheel out there. Just the second least aero behind the R Sys.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

To the OP - give Dan Hale at Shifter Bikes in South Yarra a call - brilliant wheelbuilder and can access most components being discussed. The A23's are getting a bit harder to get as production has left Australia.

Ksyriums have a real hold here in Australia - just about every second bike has them and they have very high kudos and acceptance. Conversely handbuilts are quite rare - rarity of good wheelbuilders is certainly a factor.

I presently have some Kysrium SLR's (love the black rims and braking performance) and also Fulcrum Zeros. The Fulcrums are a MUCH nicer wheel - beautiful hubs, compliant vertically but stiff laterally. Conversely the Mavics are harsh vertically and softer laterally and the hubs are not in the same class.

Shipping from US is a killer unless you deal with someone who gets bulk discount - a wheelbox exceeds USPS dimensional limits which means international shipping company - which means $200+. Bulk discount rates get down to around $70.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I prefer custom wheels to Ksyriums.

That said, I think the concerns over Ksyrium spokes is overblown. I trashed a spoke in my Ksyriums a couple years ago. I went to my LBS expecting to have to wait a few weeks and pay $25 based on what I read online.

I was wrong.

My LBS had a whole bag of Ksyrium and Crossmax Spokes in stock. They cost about $6. My wheel was repaired in a couple of hours.

I mentioned how online everyone complains about how hard it is to get Kysrium spokes. The LBS owner's response was that Ksyriums are some of the most common wheels out there and any good LBS should really keep the spokes in stock. And this is a very small shop that mostly does repairs and sells used bikes to college kids.

sawyer

by sawyer

Is there anyone on this forum who hasn't owned a pair of Ksyriums?

It seems to be a rite of passage for all cyclists until they know better?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rijndael

by rijndael

sawyer wrote:Is there anyone on this forum who hasn't owned a pair of Ksyriums?

I went straight from RS10s to White/Kinlins :)

The sickness has kicked in and I want another custom set....

-Sent using Tapatalk.

sawyer

by sawyer

rijndael wrote:

I went straight from RS10s to White/Kinlins :)

The sickness has kicked in and I want another custom set....

-Sent using Tapatalk.

ah ... you clearly (wisely!) came to cycling a bit late to be part of the obligatory Ksyrium sheep-dip

Full disclosure ... I had:

- a pair of silver SLs ... the ones with black spokes from about 2002

- a pair of ESs ... from 2006 ... (I obviously couldn't help myself and loved the harsh ride!)

rijndael

by rijndael

sawyer wrote:ah ... you clearly (wisely!) came to cycling a bit late to be part of the obligatory Ksyrium sheep-dip
I am late to the party, mid 2011. For a very short period of time, I eyed some Fulcrum Racing Zeros ... but that passed.

Now it's R45 or DT240 ... and a wheel building class. I want to do it myself this time.

rico

by rico

They've often had a bit of a trashing here, but yes, they are a bit of a rite of passage for many of us. I've owned (ie raced and trained) on:

Original 2000 vanilla versions (which I still use as turbo or winter wheels incidentally)
2001 SLs (the first scalloped rim versions. Sold with my C40)
2004 SLs (the silver ones - provided by LBS when an experimental pair of old 404s literally fell to bits. Sold with my 585)
2006 ESs (still my regular training wheels).

Yes they are a bit harsh, but I've never had (and have never known anyone else to have) a problem with them. The only things I've found in preference (as a 65kg climber) are the 7850 CL 24s that are my more regular ride now - and I broke two spokes on my first set of those.

That said, you probably could put something better together - at least in terms of lightness and aero. If you go for it, I'd suggest avoiding the alu bodied Tune rear hubs though.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It seems to be a rite of passage for all cyclists until they know better?

Well, yes, me. I had the good fortune to pick a pair of Eurus Carbon as my everyday wheels back in 2005 (or thereabouts) and the only thing I regret is that I was stupid enough to sell the things.

Yet, years later, I did get lured into the Ksyrium marketing and bought a set of second hand current Eurus Tubular with the infamous aluminium spokes which turned out to so harsh that I decided to sell them asap.
Thought Campa would know better than copy a commercially successfull design like this and whilst they actually improved it, it was still not my kind of wheel though....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

I'm going to put it out there that wheelbuilding is not an art and that there are, in fact, hundreds, if not thousands of perfectly capable bike mechanics in Australia who can perform this basic mechanical task.

I am completely baffled by this strange 'mystique' that wheel builders try to build around themselves and the consumers who think that wheel building is actually difficult to do. It is a basic mechanical task. My 16 year old brother rebuilds the wheels on his jump bike atleast twice a year due to dented rims. The people who think it is a difficult thing to do tend to be the kind of anoraks who don't actually know how to work on a bike. I printed off the sheldon brown page on wheelbuilding, told him to read it and gave him a 20 minute lesson. I fixed his mistakes the first time and now he can replace a rim in 45 minutes, perfectly, every time.

No idea as far as brisbane, but I can recommend atleast a dozen 'wheel builders' in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Canberra if you'd like to PM me. Alternatively you could buy $150-200 worth of tools, an old, shitty 32h wheel to build and rebuild a few times. Then you'll have the process down and be able to do it yourself. Easy as pie.

I would honestly just ask around, but generally stores with a bit of a focus on MTBs have the better mechanics when it comes to wheel building, as an aggressive rider will generally need to replace rims a few times a season.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

[/quote]
soul ... of the wheelset.

[/quote]

hahahahahahaha. Okay then.

sawyer

by sawyer

@rico - good to hear of your back catalogue there. 10 years ago the only cyclists worth their salt in Richmond Park were all on Ks ... loud and proud!

I do agree that they always gave good service ... can't remember a single maintenance task on mine.

@fdegrove - i rode the Eurus on smooth french roads and quite liked them as they were at least stiff and had the campagnolo hubs. silly spokes for mountains though. was almost similarly suckered into a pair of tubular shamals a couple of years back.

we should start a "Ksyrium amnesty" thread where everyone owns up to mis-deeds and can hand in their hoops without fear of reprisals

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com