Lightweight seatpost/skewer advice...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

J-Nice

by J-Nice

I need help with these 2 items. The skewers do not need to be quick release but I am looking for real world reliability and I am not really aware of what is out there besides the Mavic ones. I looked on the Bold Precision website and if I am not mistaken his lightweight seatposts are not to be used for everyday riding, only for race days, which makes me wonder about such a product. Maybe someone who has purchased and used his stuff can better explain this because hisseatposts looks nice and I am looking forward to replacing my USE Alien carbon seatpost with something of similar weight but better ease in adjusting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

J-Nice wrote:I need help with these 2 items. The skewers do not need to be quick release but I am looking for real world reliability and I am not really aware of what is out there besides the Mavic ones. I looked on the Bold Precision website and if I am not mistaken his lightweight seatposts are not to be used for everyday riding, only for race days, which makes me wonder about such a product. Maybe someone who has purchased and used his stuff can better explain this because hisseatposts looks nice and I am looking forward to replacing my USE Alien carbon seatpost with something of similar weight but better ease in adjusting.

I like FRM QR's, they are light and they work properly.

For posts, one of these :?:
Attachments
reggi_2.jpg
reggi_2.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Ride lightly!

jim

by jim

j-nice, for skewers, i recommend the use ti qrs. if you're familiar with the old nukeproof ti qrs, these work in the same way. you twist one side, which ultimately tightens the wheel to the frame / fork. i have considerable miles on these, and they've been great.

for posts, i just obtained an extralite the post ul. in the 360mm x 27.2mm size, the post came in at 158gm, and this is alloy, not carbon. cutting the post down a little will trim futher weight. this post is a work of art. clamp mechanism is almost the same as the one in the pic that the old bald dude posted. quite a few manufacturers are using this clamp design. it works, and it's light.

check it out at http://www.extralite.com

mises

by mises

In case you have budget constraints, the Performance Q-stix Ti are cheap and work well. Mine were within a gram or two of the 79g claimed weight. Can be had on sale for $20 a couple times a year (if you use ebates.com you can get 3% back too).

Eric W.

by Eric W.

For the post there is nothing but the Moots. Comes out at 193g but is indestructable! More comfort is offered by the Lay back model. For skewers consider tune (www.tune.de) light and really good working.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

how about a AX liteness seatpost and (of course) tune skewers.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Superlite

by Superlite

I use the USE Ti Spin Stix, only 56g and personally I prefer the twist design, seems easier to remove and put on.

For a seat post I like the Easton EC 90. Only 152g, all carbon. Supposidly very strong and long lasting, but we'll see in a few years how it's holding up. and in addition to all that it's just pimp. :wink:

KB

by KB

WR Compositi's carbon post is very nice and very easy to adjust and approx 155 grammes. Just about to get a pair of Spin stix TI skewers, so am glad that Superlite gave them a good wrap. Good value for the weight.

Joel

by Joel

What about a Thompson Masterpiece? For the skewers you can look at the FRM and Extralite

cadence90

by cadence90

SpinStix are nice but I don't think they work on Breezer style dropouts, can't spin 'em. Again on Breezer, Tunes, like any outboard lever skewer, can only orient in certain axes.
FRM, Extralite, WR Compositi all seem good to me. I think the WR are beautiful, but very hard to find here (US) and they don't respond to my email requests for foreign sale.

J-Nice wrote:....I looked on the Bold Precision website and if I am not mistaken his lightweight seatposts are not to be used for everyday riding, only for race days, which makes me wonder about such a product....

Has anybody here actually used the Bold skewers? I didn't see on his website that they're race only....he wrote me that they're fine for even a big rider like myself (180#), but I haven't bought them yet, mucho $$$.

The Bold post is a jewel, Moots too, if you're really nuts check out the Schmolke SL, mucho x mucho $$$!
http://www.schmolke-carbon.de/carbon/ca ... _c_uk.html
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

spytech

by spytech

i was considering the schmolke seatpost, how much is it?

cadence90

by cadence90

220,83 Euro + 59,70 Euro shipping, (ouch, same shipping even on one or multiple items) from ShockBike (w/o IVA (tax) since you're in US.
http://www.shockbike.com/
under "reggisella"
maybe contact Shmolke or PoshBikes?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Joel

by Joel

[quote="KB"]WR Compositi's carbon post is very nice and very easy to adjust and approx 155 grammes. Just about to get a pair of Spin stix TI skewers, so am glad that Superlite gave them a good wrap. Good value for the weight.[/quot

The weight for the seatpost is claimed for 25mm. I have the Pinarello seatpost, it looks like it is just the same, but it comes in 31.0mm for the Prince frame and weighs 199gram for 250mm, so I think the post will weigh around 175g for the 27.2mm diameter.

KB

by KB

Joel

On another subject. Can you still get the old hairnet type of helmet? I like cutting edge bikes, but retro clothing. This is the black shiny type that my heroes (Merckx and de Vlaeminck) used to wear.

Also, is the WR Compositi stuff easy to get hold of in Belgium? We have no distributor in the UK anymore.

cadence90

by cadence90

Is WR Compositi available anywhere????
Dave Lloyd's out of that biz and the WR website seems semi-shutdown.
Anybody have any tips?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com