Lightweight Meilenstein Gen 4 Clincher vs Mad Fibers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dozer

by Dozer

@NiFTY,

Thanks for that info. I might pop my tires off to give the rims a close inspection for burrs. It should be pretty easy to find and correct any burrs or sharp point that might cause a puncture. Shame your friend gave up on the wheels. Did he not find the problem on the wheels themselves? Again, clinchers, right?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah clinchers. He found them stiff enough and light but i think after the serial blowouts, having to take them back to grease the freehub bearings he just lost confidence, understandably. You would hate to discover another engineering error at 80kph coming downhill.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

Regarding the problems with these types of wheels and in clincher form, I don't know why manufacturers don't tests their products more thoroughly before going to market, or is there a different problem as to the cause of these failures? I would love a pair of Lightweights but these kinds of failures do put me off I must admit. Customer service is one thing, but lack of reliability is another.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Re: Lightweight and people being concerned re: breaking spokes. I have ridden 2 carbon wheelsets - meilensteins and CC SLRs and never broken a spoke. Everyone who is breaking spokes and getting them replaced, ask yourself, would you prefer to be able to easily replace a spoke or not break them? Carbon spokes seem pretty resilient.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sungod

by sungod

giant man wrote:Regarding the problems with these types of wheels and in clincher form, I don't know why manufacturers don't tests their products more thoroughly before going to market, or is there a different problem as to the cause of these failures? I would love a pair of Lightweights but these kinds of failures do put me off I must admit. Customer service is one thing, but lack of reliability is another.

the failures above seem to be mf ones, maybe early production issues? i can't recall hearing of any particular lw clincher problems

i wouldn't worry about service quality, you're in uk, me too, i've always had fast and efficient responses from both the lw retailer i used (a german one) and lw themselves (but for usa i've seen posts saying the local contacts are not so responsive)

having said that, whether mf or lw, i just don't think i'd get carbon clinchers, the tubs are so much lighter and lovelier!