Bearing pressing into hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hi

I wanted to ask you all what you are using to press bearings into hubs...

I need to press a 6803 into a hub, but don't have specific drifts for this bearing size; the only one I seem to be able to find online is a ridiculously priced Wheel Manufacturing bearing drift set, which while including a range of sizes for all the common high end bicycle wheel hub bearings, is extremely expensive for what it is...

So, do any of you have any hints of techniques you use to accurately press cartridge bearings into hub shells?

Cheers

mattr

by mattr

Sockets. From a socket set.

A set of metric sockets has (to date) covered all my bearing pressing needs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

+1. Large washers too [may need a few to add thickness]

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks a lot.

Well yeah, I have sockets and have used them in the past, but I was wondering if there was anything a bit more elegant; that Wheels Manufacturing set does look nice, and I am sorely tempted to buy it, but 350USD is a bit vertical... First world problems, eh.

I suppose that shows that there is an at least one customer sized hole it the market for some cheap bearing drift, of the size that are common in bike hubs; 6902, 6802, etc.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Just spends the $30 or so for the few various size bearing drifts you need from Wheels Mfg...then get yourself a long threaded bolt, nuts and washers that you can then put through the middle and apply the pressure while using wrenches to make your own press to evenly get the bearings back into the hub.

To remove, wheels mfg also has bearing removal drifts that will fit the inner diameter to punch them out.

I think I have about a total of $60 into all the drifts/removal pieces and spare hardware to do the job on my hubs.

eric

by eric

I've used sockets for years but finally sprung for the Wheels wheel bearing drift kit and the "economy" press last month. That is SO MUCH better than sockets. The combo was under $100 on amazon.

Using a real press and drifts ensures the bearings go in straight, have no force on the inner race which will damage the bearing, and allows you to get the bearings fully seated. With no hammers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The wheels manufacturing toolset is expensive but worth every penny or cent........ Good tools are worth it as Eric said the bearings go in with ease with no damage to the bores.

I use the large bearing press kit for workshop use and I am so glad I have it. Why risk ruining a hub with sockets. If you don't have the right tools take it to a shop that does. If they don't have this kit go somewhere else or run a cup and cone hub instead.

eric

by eric

After using the economy press a couple times I kind of wish I had sprung for the expensive shop version- it's got nice wide low friction areas for the adaptors to butt against. The economy works fine but the shop one just looks more effective.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks guys.

I am going to order just the drifts and do as Zigmeister said.

Cool.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

...right, just put in an order with them. Looking forward to getting it, and going on bearing pressing mental, taking bearings out, just so I can press them back in again, for days on end.

Sick.

ergott

by ergott

Considering the cost of many other cycling related items, the WM pro kit is awesome. It will outlast any bike you ride. If you have a couple of buddies you can talk into splitting the cost then consider it. It's the only one that will put the bearings in straight without the chance of warping the bearing bore. No point in spending the money on super light hubs only to trash them using crappy tools. The lightweight hubs are the ones that require the most careful attention when servicing.

The WM bearing remover is another indispensable tool kit. You can really kill a hub by trying to remove the bearings with the wrong tools.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

its a must for any wheel set whore. saves the cost and anguish of going to the LBS to get serviced, let alone wait to get done.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc