My first post!!!! Wheel question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pego

by Pego

Hi,
This is my first post so thanks everyone in advance. I am about to get a new set of racing wheels. This is part of a team/club discount so I am limited to Campagnolo/fulcrum or Mavic. I want to hear your opinions before I make my mind. My choices are Bora/Racing Speed or Cosmic carbone PRO. All have full carbon rims but I have heard the new cosmics are stiffer/tougher than the bora/R.Speed. Any feed back would be great!!! I am located in Costa Rica so durability is important since our roads are anything but smooth. :twisted: . I am not getting the wheels for free but I think the discout is really good since it is below the dealer's import price. R.Speed $1350; Bora $1780: Cosmics PRO $1800. Let me know what you think!!!
Thanks
Pego.

PNuT

by PNuT

ive never seen the cosmic pros... does anyone have pictures?
21 for road 27 for mtb :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

The Cosmic Pro are the news Cosmic full carbon rim for 2006.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-466184.html

If you are really forced to choose between these brands I'd go for the Boras.
You can get something much stiffer, much lighter and much cheaper for this price is you choose customs wheels though.

Pego

by Pego

Take a look.
Attachments
pro4.jpg
pro3.jpg
pro2.jpg
por.jpg

Ridley

by Ridley

They look pretty cool!

PNuT

by PNuT

the rims look very corima????

roleur21

by roleur21

I saw the Mavics at Interbike and was 100% positive that the rims are corima. Mavic says they are not, but every detail from the way the angled holes are drilled from the outside of the rim (so the outer holes are way off-center) to the color of the foam inside so the way the valve comes out of the rim scream Corima.

Of course people also say Corima make the Bora, but that is an entirely different rim, hollow, different drilling method, no goofy flat spot at the valve, etc.

Having said all that I would get the one that looks best on your bike. The mavic could be difficult with some paint schemes and I personally don't like the fact that 'mavic' is repeated like 30 something times per side of the rim. I much prefer the large white decals of the Bora.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

roleur21 wrote:I saw the Mavics at Interbike and was 100% positive that the rims are corima. Mavic says they are not, but every detail from the way the angled holes are drilled from the outside of the rim (so the outer holes are way off-center) to the color of the foam inside so the way the valve comes out of the rim scream Corima.

Of course people also say Corima make the Bora, but that is an entirely different rim, hollow, different drilling method, no goofy flat spot at the valve, etc.

Having said all that I would get the one that looks best on your bike. The mavic could be difficult with some paint schemes and I personally don't like the fact that 'mavic' is repeated like 30 something times per side of the rim. I much prefer the large white decals of the Bora.

The Cosmic Carbone Pro rim is definitely NOT a Corima aero rim.

The corima aero rims are 45mm deep while the Mavic's are 51,8mm.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1192805.html

Perhaps they are made by Corima, who knows. But anyway they aren't the Aero you can buy as consumer.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

And the weight/price for wheel set was? Nice set anyway. But so are Bora's too.

Pego

by Pego

Samu Ilonen wrote:And the weight/price for wheel set was? Nice set anyway. But so are Bora's too.

Racing speed 1300grs/$1350
Bora ULTRA 1305grs/$1780
Cosmic PRO 1450grs/$1800

the only weight that I know for a fact is the cosmic one. thats how much the set that I could buy weights. the other two are from their websites. The Bora ULTRA and the Racing speed are basically the same wheel. Same rim, same spokes. Diferent lacing pattern in the rear one and diferent hubs. Again , durability/stiffness is more important to me than 150grs, but if all the wheels perfrom the same in that department, why not get the lightest one? Any thoughts?

Pego

drjones96

by drjones96

I vote for the BORA's! Soooo Sexy. :oops:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi

I am not getting the wheels for free but I think the discout is really good since it is below the dealer's import price. R.Speed $1350; Bora $1780: Cosmics PRO $1800. Let me know what you think!!!

Those are retail prices or are those wheels at discount price already?

Either way, my vote goes to the Boras because:

a) I love them.

b) They're excellent and we all know it.

c) They're about as easy to service as it gets. Living in Costa Rica probably means it's hard to get spares so I think that counts for something.

The Mavic should be O.K. if the distributor knows his job.

Racing Speed, I don't know jack about them.....

I suppose shipping Corima Aeros across the pond will end up as expensive as a set of bora-boras but may be worth a try nonetheless.
Corima has been in business for ages, have superlative customer service and let you buy everything you need to build your own set of carbon frisbees at democratic prices.
Witnesss the various sets built by our forum members to get an idea about what you can do using their rims and your imagination.

Perhaps they are made by Corima, who knows.

With Corima's own wheels and rims in direct competion and Duqeine just next door I seriously doubt it.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

PNuT

by PNuT

i would have the mavics but probably remove all the stickers :shock:

CCCP

by CCCP

Yes, in regards to the supplier to Mavic for the production of the Cosmic rim, the producer is Duqueine Composites.

http://www.duqueine.fr/production_serie_1.html

I think that the wheels would look twice as good with only the red, "SSC" sticker at 0° & 180°...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com