Best clincher for gravel roads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whoopsie

by whoopsie

I am setting up my spare/travel Ritchey Breakaway road bike for using mostly on gravel roads. Am limited to tyres up to 700X26, 28's won't fit. So far have looked into Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech and Conty Gatorskin (Hardshell Duuraskins?) both 700X25 and Kenda L3R 700X26. Would run at lower end of recommended psi. Any ideas out there? Thanx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Some gravel roads kill tyres and some aren't so bad.

If not so bad I'd look at the 25mm PR3. I have a pair and they come in at around 225g. Not bad.

Also the Vittoria CG Pave II ... about 240g and 24mm
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Courant

by Courant

I'd look at a pair of Paselas (TG folding version) for gravel riding - enough tread to provide a little bite but still a decent ride on tarmac. They run very narrow so you might get away with their 28mm, but they also do a 25mm.

munchydoan

by munchydoan

I second the Paselas. The 28's fit both my older Felt F35 frame with Ultegra brakes and newer Kuota Kebel with ZG brakes. Rode them out in the dirt in Arizona in the spring and they didn't suffer a single nick. Not the best road feel but they are tough.

Road Runner

by Road Runner

I use Michelin Krylions 25mm in my Felt AR4 for training in horrible roads, and
they are great because the rubber is very resistant to cuts.
I prefer to ride a $3,000 bicycle instead of a $3,000 car!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

go with vittorias pave. they're probably as close to tubulars ridden in classics as you can get, both in looks (green :mrgreen:) and performance
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I ride alot of gravel / dirt roads on my road bikes. Mich PR3s are a the WRONG choice for sure, if you can find PR2's in 25 that would be a good choice. Vittoria Paves 24s are great tires but will be cut up pretty bad after a hundred miles or so on gravel, but I have never flatted on them.
I use the Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x25, they have held up better than any other tire I have tried. Cant even find a single cut yet on them.

I have not used the Kenda L3R tires recently (last 4 years I guess) but the side walls seemed to be tough as nails. The only problem back then was that the rubber seemed to hard and were very slick on the wet pavement. Mine were 23's also.

I run between 85-95 psi and weigh 160lbs (73kg)

Rosso Corsa

by Rosso Corsa

Krylions are good as new after lots of gravel in my experience.
Progress stops where satisfaction begins.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you want a tire that you can beat to crap and back.... get some Specialized Armidillos in 25mm. They ride stiff, but you basically can't flat them. One came into our local shop where the whole tread had separated from the casing underneath. That was after 16000 miles on the tire.... and the guy rode it 10 miles home with no tread.

Estelja

by Estelja

My brother in law is riding the Armadillo 25c and that tire is FAT! It is much closer to 28c, so much that he has to let air out to remove it from Tektro R750 calipers. Also, it was a complete bitch to mount on an Am Classic 420 rim. Took two big guys and two tire levers. The tire seems tough as nails though.

SLAKKIE

by SLAKKIE

Michelin pro3.

whoopsie wrote:I am setting up my spare/travel Ritchey Breakaway road bike for using mostly on gravel roads. Am limited to tyres up to 700X26, 28's won't fit. So far have looked into Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech and Conty Gatorskin (Hardshell Duuraskins?) both 700X25 and Kenda L3R 700X26. Would run at lower end of recommended psi. Any ideas out there? Thanx

pharding

by pharding

2010 Vittoria Pavé EVO CG Tire in 700x27
09 Pinarello Prince
09 Cervelo P3
10 Stevens Team Carbon

MARLON

by MARLON

My setup for bad Frenchy roads in the Vosges du nord..
Pave open 24m an the one and only bullet proof neutron wheelset
paveneutron.jpg
BACK IN BLACK

Irish

by Irish

Would have to agree with most posters so far, if your going Michelin, PR3 are a no no(thread is to soft & would cut up badly), Krylions in 25 or 28(if you can get them) are pretty good & PR2 are better than PR3 but still a no no. I am using a Conti Gatorskin at present on the rear & it appears pretty robust, fitting it was a nightmare(didnt sit on rim well) and grip on tarmac is suspect espically when wet.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Looking for supple as-wide-as-they-fit tyres. Front limited to 26mm, rear 29-ish. Need not be super puncture resistant here, pinch flat is more of a concern. Will be used about 70% road, 30% gravel, so rides when my CX bike is not the first choice.

Grand Bois Cerf Blue front / Green rear? (easily available in the EU?)
Vittoria Pave Open 25 front / 27 rear?
Challenge Strada front / PR rear (maybe even Eroica)?
others?

PS: I've been riding 4 Seasons 28mm and they are great for dark freezing winter runs, when the last thing you want to do is fix a flat, but looking for something more supple.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com