Is buying mechanical grouppo in 2013 wise...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

DMF, you want analog? Go to friction shifting. Then you can feel your way onto each cog, not cheat with indexing.

DMF

by DMF

I have friction shifting on the FD of my CycloCross (Sram bar end shifters), and it's freakin' great! Much prefer the feel to index-shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

In 3 years of Di2 ownership, not once have I missed arsing about with rear mech cable tensions and indexing that is ok on the top sprocket but not on the bottom (or vice versa), I've also never missed a cable that was so gummed up with sticky sugary deposits from the drink drips to the point that it would never reach the bottom sprocket because the friction of the sugar was greater than the tension of the cable. I fit it 3 years ago and its works exactly the same to this day.

So for me, once Di2 was proven (in 2009/10) it was never a wise choice anymore.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

DMF wrote:I have friction shifting on the FD of my CycloCross (Sram bar end shifters), and it's freakin' great! Much prefer the feel to index-shifting.
Ha, it barely matters in the front, although it's easy to see merits of friction shifting there. If you're serious about liking analog, then use friction rear shifting.

DMF

by DMF

weightySteve. If you're having problems shifting mechanical gears, I bet it's not the gears that are to blame, it's no doubt the mechanic. And as for sugar on cables, there are plastic sleeves that thread over the exposed cable, Avid amongst others make these.

HammerTime2. Great idea, will you make me a latest generation Shimano STI-shaped brake/shifter control where I can reach the friction shifter from both the hoods and drops with similar ergonomics as an STI?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

DMF, if you want full part in the experience, then you should be prepared to give up some of the luxuries of STI to which you have become accustomed.

But anyhow, you can get Retroshift.
Bike Rumor article on Retroshift with video demonstration
Weight Weenies thread on Retroshift

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Friction shifting is the way forward as you can run what ever componetry (with in some limits) you like. I currently have a friction shifter operating a 9 speed cassette and have a 10 speed waiting for then that wear outs. With a free hub change I could run 11 speed campag with a ultegra mech I might try that. I really like fricton shifting it is easy, quick (when you get used to it), cheap and very reliable.

Thats the main restriction I don't like with electronic groups is the restriction of compatible components which is how obselance will creep in. If you have the funds though that is not a problem as you can always move to the next system and why not if you can.

DMF

by DMF

I know about retroshift, but it seems like poor ergonomics to me. Anyhow, in all seriousness I think 10spd friction shifting suffers in lack of accuracy. And as I said, the tactile feeling of the mechanical shifting is just one of the million little things, and it really doesn't even just boil down to something as basic as the simpler the better. The sensation of the shifter, cable and derailleur being joined is still there, with or without a ratchet mechanism.

I like the feeling of fixed hubs, but I also like the feeling of a freewheels engagement. They are both tactile connections with your body, just in different ways. Sort of the same with friction vs indexing.

What I mean here, is that feeling the actual mechanics of the shifter itself, is just as much part of the experience as feeling the derailleur move thru the cogs. That's taking it ALL in.

But with electronics, that link is broken, all you sense is a plastic button connected to nothing.

"To change gears, press any key..."

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Friction shifters are for "control freaks"...... like me. :lol:

@DMF: I suppose you do not run a car with an automatic gearbox either?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

DMF

by DMF

Well I do, but it's a van and it's for work. If I could ever (God willing) afford a Ferrari it would not have electronic paddles behind the steering wheel though, that's for certain :)

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

If you're having problems shifting mechanical gears,

I am not, and never will again, that was the point of my post :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I had an auto car once. I like the car so much I had a perfectly good autobox pulled out and a manual put in its place. It was somuch better to drive after that. So friction shifting 9 speed seems accurate enough. I have yet to try ten speed on firction shifters but I think it just a matter of getting used to it.

Next there will automatic electronic shifting. There will a power meter somewhere and bike will know your current gear, speed, cadance and power output and it will shift for you. That's a scary prospect but I am sure some will like it.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Automatic shifting on bikes has been available for several years.
The LandRider with AutoShift. There simply is no finer bicycle available, at any price.
http://www.landriderbikes.com/

michel2

by michel2

Landridde, 399 for the top of the range deluxe autoshift, looks very promissing !

Now ..for elec shifting.
I havent ridding any of them so, have riddin mainly campy in the last 10 years, record and curremtly sr 11 speed.

I was lurcking on ww a couple of weeks ago and some fell had touble with a ultegra rear derailleur( electric) stuck in the middle of the cassette and would not kive any were, people suggested he was to go to the local bikeshop, they could check the derailleur with a computer to see if the component was faulty.

Reading this made me look at the prices for a single rear derailleur, there always been great offers on groupsets but single parts parst are often not tbat cheap, i think i found 300$ front drerailleurs !

I dont see the value of electric shifting, its heavy, expensive and ugly besides that i think it taks the simplicity out of cycling.

Im a diesel mechanic, computers didn't excist in my work 15 years a go.
I resently sold my 1968 holden van, it did not had a single ecm, it had a carburettor and that was it.
I know drive a 07 saab instead its engine is computer controlled i can see more gas but u will only put as much diesel in as the computer allows it to.
As a result i do 5 liters to a100 km on long drives, its quite its comfortable ,if there is something wrong the obd will tell me.

This new car the computer has made for lots of improvement ( as well as being disconected from the drive) its better for the envoirment, it cheaper to run. So on so fort.ill pay premium for maintenance but get that back out of fuel cost.

Back to bikes: i cant not see how ( and maybee i should ride an elec group first) how an electric groupset can benefit me the same way as computer engine management, although they can cock up the same way and put me in limb mode and make me stuck in one gear, they can also charge me premium for parts and tools.

So to me: i hope one day all elec groupsets do the same as the mavic's groupsets and disappear !(;

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Like I said in my earlier post... "Psssft"...and it's gone. Like magic. Don't rule it out. Bikes are different than a lot of things where computers and electronics have changed things dramatically for the better. Much of that has been touched on in this thread. I know the arguments for and against. I've ridden both. The bottom line is, electric shifting does not add a single advantage to the experience of riding a bike, either at the most elite level of racing (maybe with the exception of time trialing solely due to having shifters in both positions). And arguably, it actually detracts from it as a lot of posters here have already said. I suspect this will be the year that manufacturers really try hard to increase market acceptance. And I suspect if it doesn't really start flying off the shelves in the next couple of years they just might shelve the whole experiment and be happy continuing to sell mechanical groups as their premier group sets. The pros ride largely what the sponsors tell them to ride in the vast majority of cases. Sometimes a rider may have a say but generally the sponsor dictates what will be used. It'll be interesting to watch who's having problems over the cobbles of Roubaix this year due to ghost shifting etc. But we likely wont be hearing much about it if they are. And of course the pros will publicly say they love the stuff that they're using, whatever that may be. That's what they're paid for. The SRAM commercials a few years back were laughable... "I'm so and so, and I choose SRAM". Those commercials were an insult to all but the most gullible of marketing targets. Then they switch teams and voila, they "choose" something else. And so it goes. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, for sure. In the meantime I don't really care one way or another if someone wants to go electric. But I know I'm very happy to choose mechanical for the time being. Anyway, have fun, regardless of what you ride. Shimano has definitely got all bases covered with what seems to be a phenomenal new mechanical group and an updated Di2 group. Either way they will be happy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com