HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 am 

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any hard data or information regarding the stack heights of different road shoes. In particular I'm interested in how big the difference in stack heights can really be between shoes with a low stack *Bont* vs. high stack *Fizik/Sidi*.

I have heard a bit about different shoes stack heights however aside from Bont and Giro I haven't really seen anything published with actual numbers on the matter. As a result, it seems that all the information I have been able to find is merely opinion or relative in the sense that people say or claim Fizik and Sidi have high stack heights but I don't see any numerical evidence.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this since it's one of the few things in cycling I actually have not found any reliable numbers or stats for.

Figured it could be an interesting topic of discussion as well, thanks

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 am 

SolidSnake03 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any hard data or information regarding the stack heights of different road shoes. In particular I'm interested in how big the difference in stack heights can really be between shoes with a low stack *Bont* vs. high stack *Fizik/Sidi*.

I have heard a bit about different shoes stack heights however aside from Bont and Giro I haven't really seen anything published with actual numbers on the matter. As a result, it seems that all the information I have been able to find is merely opinion or relative in the sense that people say or claim Fizik and Sidi have high stack heights but I don't see any numerical evidence.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this since it's one of the few things in cycling I actually have not found any reliable numbers or stats for.

Figured it could be an interesting topic of discussion as well, thanks

look here: http://www.bikefitting.com/English/Serv ... lShoe.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:58 pm 

Hey thanks for the link however I'm a bit unsure about it because in terms of pedals at least it lists the Shimano SPD-SL 105's as having a ~.8cm lower stack than the ultegra's for the same model/year. I understand the Dura-Ace version do but that seems like a huge difference with 105 actually having the much lower stack.

Thanks though, I will at least use it for consideration

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 am 

Perhaps this is as simple as taking a calipers into a store and measuring?

Giro claims their EC90 sole is "thin" (6.5mm)...that has to be less than my sidi ergo 2 which is why at my last fitting it was noted that my saddle height, which was correct with ergo 2, was a shade high with Giro....note both using DA-7810

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:36 am 

True calipers would be a choice however unless I only want to measure Specialized or Sidi shoes *Genius 5.5 is highest level* than I'm stuck in regards to local stores at least. There is a decent assortment of mountain bike shoes but thats not really what I'm after. Nobody around me stocks Northwave, Vittoria, Fizik, Mavik *except cheapest model* Giro *except mountain or lower models* etc...