Zipp or Gigantex?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

bm0p700f and BobDopolina. What more do you need to know?

I have already narrowed my choice down to a 50mm'ish wide tubular rim. Take it as a given that my needs are therefore identified. The only choice is between a Zipp and a Gigantex/King build. I have already excluded other components, other rim depths, clinchers, etc etc.

I intend to clamp both wheels between the frame and fork dropouts and go for a ride. These will be every day riding wheels, not raceday specials. I have never run clinchers and don't intend to start now, so I won't consider clincher rims. Both wheels fulfil the same purpose, both are roughly the same price.

I do consider the Kings to be superior to the Zipps in finish, bearing quality (and yes, in fact King do make their own bearings), design (j bend) and free hub system. I do consider Zipps to be superior to Gigantex in terms of aerodynamics, finish, quality and 'feel good' factor.

The question ultimately is between great hubs/OK rims (Gigantex/King), or OK hubs/great rims (Zipp).

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

@solarider your intended use was the missing piece which you've now filled in. It does matter. Knowing that the wheels will be everyday wheels and not race wheels means aero matters less and durability more. This means more weight should be given to hub choice.

Since we are talking tubulars there will be no delamination issues which takes some of the advantage away from the Zipps.

If budget really is a consideration then I would go with the Gigantex handbuilts. If budget isn't an issue and you're after bling go Zipp.

Both will serve you equally well.

If none of this makes any sense to you then clearly you were more after affirmation than information.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Considering only what you will very obviously feel when riding, Zipps will likely have better braking and handle side winds slightly better. The difference in feel on CK rear hubs is ofcourse extremely obvious to anyone who has used them. Some slight bearing play in the Zipp hubs is to be expected, nothing wrong with that but it will drive some people crazy while others don't care... Which one are you?

On a personal notice, I feel the CK hubs (old ones, haven't tried R45j have alot of freewheel drag, and I don't care much for super fast engagement on a road bike, but find it superior on MTB's/CX's... On the other hand even the slightest bearing play drives me mad, and I don't mind be pushed around a bit by side winds... And where I ride brake performance isn't key.

Optimal wheels in the end, Zipp rims on another hub, failing that - Gigantex rims but not on CK hubs... Unless R45's would be better regarding freewheel drag, but as I don't value the quick engagement for road use, I think there are better options... Maybe you are different, but I feel that hub drag (both freewheel and bearing/axle seals) make a huge difference. Bigger than the Zipp vs Gigantex rim.

1415chris

by 1415chris

solarider wrote: I do consider Zipps to be superior to Gigantex in terms of aerodynamics, finish, quality and 'feel good' factor

Regarding the quality of these mentioned 2 rims, I'm curious what the finishing quality difference between these rims is.
I can only compare Zipps to X-Bike light rims. Frankly the word compare shouldn't be used in that respect. Both rims represent completely different worlds.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

owed zipp hubs and worked on loads of them, will never have them again.
Zipp rims are ok but not as amazing as most think
King hubs are awesome, might not spin so freely in your hand but thats because they have desent seals
gigantex rims i have no experience with but i cant see them being bad

If was building a wheel it would be either DA, King or DT hubs. DT spokes either comps if your big/strond or revolutions if you smaller.

50mm rims is a tricky one, xentis if you can just buy the rim ??

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

None of the much much cheaper hubs that I use have any bearing play. I like CK hubs but they are too expensive for you get. They make DT Swiss hubs look good value.

Personally I think DA hubs are a better choice dimesnons of that hub are better than the DT 240's but as the gigantex rims a 20 and 24H drillings that rule Dura ace hubs out. So that means the CK hubs are actually one of the better hubs to use as they come in the drillings you need.

However you may be suprised at how nice a cheaper pair of Novatec's feel, they also come in the drillings you need.

DMF

by DMF

+1 on the Novatecs, they may not have the reliability-record of CK, but my pair on the spare wheels (laced w/ Revs to EC70SL's) are the best rolling hubs I've ever had. Used them for CX and whatnot, never touched them.

It's no minimal difference either, if you clamp the bike to a work stand, set the wheels spinning and go out to do your weekend grocery shopping, they'll be spinning when you get back home... (well almost, you get the picture), with CK's you won't even get your shoes on before they stop...

Dimitri

by Dimitri

setting aside the price difference, if the Zipps are within your budget, i'd say go Zipp.

I am a mechanic and i dont think the Zipp hubs are any worse/better than most other high end hubs.

this is coming from someone who is currently building a pair of gigantex tub's to race on. this is only down to the fact that even though i can buy Zipps at discounted wholesale, the Gigantex wheels im building will cost well under half (with Tune hubs) of what the zipps would.

solarider

by solarider

Well, decision made and the wheels are now built and fitted.

Chris King R45 hubs
Sapim CXRay Spokes
Brass nipples
Gigantex 23mm/50mm tubular rim
27mm Vittoria Pave tubulars

The idea was to use these as everyday wheels and keep my Zipps fresh for nicer days and race days. I wanted a wider rim to take a wider tub, and so that I didn't need to constantly adjust the brake pads. Plus, given the knocks of everyday riding, I wanted something with a rim that would be relatively cheap to replace.

Unfortunately these are just too nice! In many ways they put the Zipps to shame in terms of weight, hubs (side-by-side, the Kings spin for more than twice as long as the Zipps) and trueness (partly because of the build, and partly because the braking surface is actually more parallel on the Gigantex than the Zipps).

Great wheels, great build (thanks Derek at Wheelsmith.com!). And the decals even match the tubs!

Dimitri

by Dimitri

is the rim just a V shape but wider? any chance of grabbing a shot that shows the shape?

Berg

by Berg

Excellent choice of wheels I think!
Zipp are good no doubt, but so overpriced.

And a very nice bike there :)

solarider

by solarider

Yes, wide V. Can't quite capture it on film.

23mm wide at the brake track, vs the Zipp at 25mm, but I still don't need to adjust my brakes when I swap wheels. It is however much wider than a 'normal' rim, so the tubular bed is wide and supportive, and quite a bit more robust. Fits the 27mm Pave tubs nicely. Just wish they made these tubs all black. They ride nicely, but do they really have to be green?!

It then tapers to a normal V shape. No bulging and whilst it is slightly wider at the nipple bed, it nowhere near as wide as a Zipp.

Aerodynamically, probably not as good as the Zipp, but better than a box section, probably better than a narrow V, and for the money and the intended use, a very nicely made, inexpensive to replace and decent all round rim.

I like the wheels alot.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Solarider, great wheels! Curious about how you decided you wanted 50mm vs 38mm as I'm going through a similar decision process. Currently have a set of Nemesis rims on Campy Chorus silver hubs as well as a set of Hed C2 clinchers on C-4 hubs. Looking for a set of group ride/event wheels and looking to build up a wider carbon tubular set, but wrestling with rim depth. Looks like good options in both 38 and 50mm, as well as a new FarSports 50x24 U shaped rim. Wrestling with how to think about a 38 vs 50 rim...

I'd welcome input from all.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

How is gigantex within $300 of a zip 404 firecrest? This seems like a no brainer for zipp. I don't think I'd pay more than $600 for a Rando china wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

Zipp 404 FC rear wheels were £599 in the Sigma Sport sale and front wheels were £639 in the Chainreaction sale, making £1,238 in total vs £1,050 for King/CXRay/Gigantex. A difference of £188 or approximately $300. I already have a set of 404 FC wheels and wanted something cheaper to repair as an everyday wheel set.

In terms of the rim depth, the weight difference between 30mm and 50mm is minimal, but in terms of aerodynamics, looks and stiffness, the 50mm wins.