New frame...light the blue touch paper

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Ok , I am gonna drop the 'what new frame?' bomb.

The current stable is Cervelo S1 which is the summer ( good weather bike for the northern hemisphere anyway ) and a Ribble Evo Pro carbon with sks raceblades for the winter. Both Campag Centaur setups.

I am 200lbs, ride 100-150 miles a week for fun ave 17mph average, small group and solo rides. Rolling topography in the main, no Alpe D'Huez in my back yard. So what do I like about my current bikes?

Cervelo is Stiff, quick ( if garmin is to be believed ) and comfortable, under my weight anyway.
Ribble, cheap, comfy, carbon - so relatively light compared to S1.

The Ribble frame is gonna go, Cervelo to be winter bike and In simple terms I am gonna spend £1000 on a new frame just to scratch a new frame itch, I don't want to consider second hand.
I don't really know where to start, anyone bought a £1k frame recently in a similar boat?! Old Cervelo 2011-12 S2 frames can be had in the UK for £1k but that doesn't feel like a change.

Anyone care to chip in?!

ticou

by ticou

Better than Cervelo for a grand? Hmmmm.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Spend the money on wheels instead.

Berg

by Berg

Good deals to be had on 2012 Simplon frames at the moment. At 999 euro, the Pride looks like an excellent buy:
http://jedi-sports.de/Framesets/Road/Simplon-Pride-Frameset-2012::1033.html

In case you are not familiar with Simplon, they are world class frames. Seems to hit a sweetspot of stiffness, comfort and weight - and they aren't overpriced like eg. Cervelo and Cannondale.

NGMN

by NGMN

glorycycles has been closing out some Neil Pryde frames. The Alize seems to have a few aero characteristics but would be lighter than your S1.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

thanks for the responses thusfar, both the Simplon and Pryde look interesting, Nice to have something more unusual too. I will do some research on both...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

slightOT, but what does "light the blue touch paper" mean or refer to?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

If you like both frames, why not spend the money on a groupset upgrade or wheels instead? Rather than shell out on a frame that you may not even end up liking, unless you are able to get a test ride first.

@prendrefeu -it refers to lighting the blue touch paper on fireworks, so to set something off.

Routier

by Routier

I agree that the S1 will be hard to match, I love mine.

Have you thought about a Canyon Ultimate CF? £1159 right now or £2309 with Chorus and Ksyrium Elites http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3087

Or what about trying to get hold of a Spec Allez Race?

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

bmxbandit wrote:If you like both frames, why not spend the money on a groupset upgrade or wheels instead? Rather than shell out on a frame that you may not even end up liking, unless you are able to get a test ride first.

@prendrefeu -it refers to lighting the blue touch paper on fireworks, so to set something off.

Yep British Standard fireworks were the first to use it on their fireworks I think....

I guess I like to have something new, often for all the wrong reasons. I love the look and positive reviews of the Canyon and have considered before. Lusting after something new keeps me motivated to get fitter and keep focused at work. Daft really ....

Pantani

by Pantani

I think you need to up the budget if you want a better frame. Otherwise, as has already been suggested, a set of fast wheels would be a better bet for the available funds.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

lechat

by lechat

Berg wrote:Good deals to be had on 2012 Simplon frames at the moment. At 999 euro, the Pride looks like an excellent buy:
http://jedi-sports.de/Framesets/Road/Simplon-Pride-Frameset-2012::1033.html

In case you are not familiar with Simplon, they are world class frames. Seems to hit a sweetspot of stiffness, comfort and weight - and they aren't overpriced like eg. Cervelo and Cannondale.

That Pride looks suspiciously like the ubiquitous Pedal Force / Ritte etc. frame. In which case it too is overpriced, unless you really fancy red.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

lechat - Simplon don't do 'open mold' frames. Maybe you've never heard of them (?) because they don't sell to North America.
However they are highly sought after for those 'in the know'

The Pride is their lower end and no longer in their line up - but still really great.
Here's a really large picture of one: http://bikes.onbikex.de/bikTifID-17204-2000-2000.jpg
You can see that the seattube has a slight curve to it, following the wheel radius just a little bit. Detailing along headtube also shows that it is not the Ritte/Pedal Force frame you are thinking of. You may also take note of the lower-side of the chainstays, which have a convex curve to their under side.
http://www.light-bikes.de/website/new/w ... pstick.jpg

Finally, test results:
http://www.testberichte.de/test/produkt ... 53603.html

It's a damn good frame, and Simplon produce really fantastic quality products.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

A new in box CAAD 10 like the one I have for sale
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: