Campy Veloce vs. Centaur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Veloce or Centaur or Other?

Veloce
24%
Centaur
46%
Other
30%

Total votes: 37

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey Everyone,

So I'm wondering if any of those very familiar with Campy could give me some insight on this decision. Basically, I'm thinking of building a maximum bang for your buck road bike. I have always loved the standard geometry/straight tubes of Cannondale so I'm thinking of using a used Caad9 or 10 frame and then building it up as cheaply as possible. At the same time however, I don't want to sacrifice quality too much.

I have done a bit of thinking and after riding SRAM for a few years I would like to give something new a try so why not Campy? I don't have any extra wheelsets aside from the ones currently on my bike so that is not a consideration. Also, I have ridden Shimano before and just wasn't a huge fan, it worked fine but didn't like the feel of the hoods or level throw. The new Campy hoods on the other hand fit my smallish hands wonderfully, they really felt awesome on a few bikes I got to feel/examine at my local shop.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what/how big the difference in performance is between Veloce and Centaur for 2013. The weight really isn't a big concern and neither are looks or names. I simply want the best bang for my buck. I'm looking at the group sets online and it looks like Centaur is about ~$120-$150 more than Veloce.

So what do you guys think? Veloce fit my idea for a build better or is Centaur really worth the extra coin?

Any other groupset suggestions are welcome as well, please feel free! Thanks!

*Edit* Forgot to say I ride SRAM Apex and have absolutely no qualms with that, Shim 105, Apex and Campy Equiv are all just fine by me. I wouldn't want to go to Tiagra for example but anything above that is fine by me :D
Last edited by SolidSnake03 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Functionally there is no difference between the two I know of. Technically Centaur would use higher quality parts and of course it has the label of that better quality that comes with it.
Veloce is fine but has entry level written all over it. At least that's how I think it is perceived by most people.

At the end of the day it will always be your choice to make. Personally I'd opt for a Centaur Carbon but that's just me: pride of ownership is part of human nature, right?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

you really answered your own question.

Most bang - Veloce
Difference in performance - nil.

But if you want to spend more, Mr Campy will be happy to take your money.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But if you want to spend more, Mr Campy will be happy to take your money.

Money wel spent, either way I'd say. :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Assuming for a minute that OP is in the USA, and since I can say from experience that they hardly ever see Campy components, then you'd be wasting your money on Centaur. If it says "Campagnolo" somewhere, then that's all you need. Just buy it from the UK. (I'm biased).

One.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

What about weight? How do those group compare weight wise to similar level (105, Rival) groups?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I run both Centaur and Veloce on my road and cx bikes. I prefer the feel of Centaur over Veloce anyday. If you can go for the carbon finish Centaur

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Weight doesn't matter in this situation since I'm going to max bang for your buck performance wise. I know it's a heresy since I'm on weight weenies but in this case the decision won't be made upon that in the slightest.

Seems to be a bunch of votes for Centaur, will have to look into that one a bit more, seems promising. Thanks
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

UphillRage

by UphillRage

Veloce for the price.I know im a cheapo... :oops:

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Veloce for value. But ditch the Power Torque crank - it's a rubbish design.

sawyer

by sawyer

I am with fdegrove ... I've slightly lost track of the slew of changes over the past couple of years ... but Centaur Carbon has for a while been where the fun begins. Carbon cranks and ergos make the whole thing a lot more sumptuous.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

c50jim

by c50jim

I've used Campy exclusively since 1995, all groups from Mirage (remember that one?) to Super Record EPS. They all work pretty well. Personally, I don't like either new Centaur or Veloce because the ability to trim the front derailleur is no longer there and I'd prefer the ability to shift more than one rear cog at a time. Given that, I'd go Veloce with NOS Chorus 10 shifters. They aren't the new shape you seem to like but they work like high end Campy has for years. If you're concerned about money, there's nothing that I can see other than a few grams weight reduction to choose Centaur over Veloce.

RussellS

by RussellS

I have a few Centaur and Veloce from the 2000s. Veloce rear derailleur, and lots of Centaur parts. Also Record and Chorus shifters and derailleurs and cranks. All back from the 9 and 10 speed days. Four bikes with Campagnolo. I cannot tell the difference between any of them when riding. They are all aluminum except for the Record shifters so they all look about the same. If the difference is only $120-150 between Veloce and Centaur as you state. Then go Centaur. Don't know about the newer shifters and cranks. Shifters have the limited numder of cogs now. Might want to upgrade those parts.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If anyone wants to check on component weights, Campy lists them here http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Tec-Spec_componenti_ENG1.pdf

I'm seeing a difference of 51g between Veloce and Centaur groups.

Price difference is $135 at Ribble.

I too have reservations about the powertorque crankset design. IMO I'd rather have a NOS Ultratorque Centaur crankset, or even square taper, over PT.

One.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Go for veloce. Same weight/function as centaur yet cheaper.

The carbon version of centaur is not carbon and looks cheap.

If going for caad9/10, forget the campagnolo crankset. At this level not great and heavy.
Go for bb30 crankset for stiffness and weight. Second hand hollowgram would be good.

Total groupset weight would be competitive at a good price. Function excellent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com