how to start internal nipples

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

broncr

by broncr

Hi.

I'm about to build a set of Enve 4.5 rims with Enve specific brass internal nipples (suggested by Enve) and I had a question about starting the nipples. Normally I use the a tool with my drill to start external nipples and it ensures that all nipples are initially threaded on the same amount. That method depends on the nipples having a screwdriver slot on the back side so the tool can engage and turn the nipple. In the case of the Enve brass internal nipples there is no slot so is there a way to ensure that all of the internal nipples are threaded on the same amount initially?

thanks for the help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Most people do it with a tool which you can buy or make yourself. To make it, cut off the last two or three inches of any basic round spoke and chuck it in a small hand pin vise (just to use as a handle) with the threaded end sticking out. Then make a nick in the threading about four or so turns from the end of the spoke. Now you can thread the nipple from the outer end onto the tool. It'll slow down or encounter resistance at the nick. At that point, just use the tool to spin it down onto the end of the spoke inside the rim. If you have something like Spoke Prep or linseed oil or the like on the wheel spokes, the nipple will stick enough once it's on 5-6 turns that you can reverse the tool out. The nipple will be stuck to the wheel spoke with enough resistance that the tool can withdraw. At that point you can stick one of the narrow hex sockets made for this purpose onto the end of the nipple and thread it rest of the way down. Hope that makes sense.

RussellS

by RussellS

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/park-tool-3 ... sw-15.html

Couldn't you put the nipple in the driver, link above, stick it through the rim bed, put the spoke threads in contact with the nipple, then turn the tool 5 times around. Should be pretty close to uniform threading on all spokes.

by 11.4

The nipple tends to fall out and it's a pain getting them out of the rim. That approach can work for the first few spokes, but the last ones are hard to manipulate that way. I suppose you could keep dabbing grease or something into the socket so it would hold a nipple, but this tool is what I've seen out people use.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I use these if I'm using internal nipples -

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Spokes%20and%20Nipples-Internal%20Alloy%20Nipple%20with%20Nyloc.asp

With an appropriate tool -

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Tools-Internal%20Spoke%20Wrench.asp

Still interesting if you're trying to use washers but a dab of something sticky can attach a washer to the nipple if you need to.

RussellS

by RussellS

11.4 wrote:The nipple tends to fall out

How does the nipple fall out? The tool is a socket wrench more or less. It captures the nipple on all 5 sides and the bottom. Its encased in the tool. It can only fall up through the hole in the end of the socket. If you are pushing the tool and nipple from the bottom onto the spoke threads, you can easily turn the tool and thread the nipple onto the spoke threads. The nipple is secured inside the tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com