DT Swiss Hub - 36 Step Star Rachet Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

18t hollow ratchets first started when they came out with 190 hubs, I think. An early one I opened a long time ago, long before there were 36t ratchets, had hollow 18t ones.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I installed the 36 tooth ratchet in my gf's 190 hub. Thought it would make the sound a little more buzz like instead of clack like if that makes any sense, and a little more "light" sounding, as the DT hubs can be quite loud. Well, it's still loud, and indeed more buzz like, but I think we both might prefer the 18 tooth for the road bike. I've heard that the "instant" engagement thing is more apt to be sought after by the mountain bike crowd, but for the road it really doesn't make much of a difference. Before I switch it back I may reinstall it with a little more grease on the star ratchet to see if it quiets the sound a bit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Calnago wrote:I installed the 36 tooth ratchet in my gf's 190 hub. Thought it would make the sound a little more buzz like instead of clack like if that makes any sense, and a little more "light" sounding, as the DT hubs can be quite loud. Well, it's still loud, and indeed more buzz like, but I think we both might prefer the 18 tooth for the road bike. I've heard that the "instant" engagement thing is more apt to be sought after by the mountain bike crowd, but for the road it really doesn't make much of a difference. Before I switch it back I may reinstall it with a little more grease on the star ratchet to see if it quiets the sound a bit.

Applying a light coat of grease on the ratchet "teeth" will definitely quiet down the hub. I just wiped off the old grease and reapplied using DT Swiss grease and it certainly silenced my 190 hub. Just make sure you don't apply too much -- i've read somewhere that this may have caused incidents where the ratchets were "sticking."