New Dolan Seta - 5kg build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dovitsky

by Dovitsky

Hi everyone, I'm trying to build up a fairly light track bike, here's where I'm at so far. Current weight is 5.1kg, hoping to get under 5kg in the next few months. Possible changes down the road include some form of road crank, sram red, super record, clavicula...does anyone have experience with using road crank on a track frame?

Spec list so far:

Frame: Dolan Seta 58cm
Fork: Custom painted Enve 2.0 40mm
Crankset: Rotor with fiberlyte 55t chainring
Pedals: Look Keo Blade 2
Handlebars/Stem: Zipp Sl V2 SS/Loaded Ti 100mm
Saddle/Seatpost: Berk Motika Integrated seatpost/saddle (3k saddle, UD post)-129g
Wheelset: Corima 32mm S+, Tufo Elite Jet <160g Tubular, AM Classic rear track hub

A Berk integrated bar/stem combo is currently being built, and should arrive in the next few weeks. The final part is a custom carbon crank spider, starting that project this weekend.
Attachments
dolan-seta-51kg-30440_33 copy.jpg
dolan-seta-51kg-30440_30 copy.jpg
dolan-seta-30440_22 copy.jpg

liam7020

by liam7020

Really do like that!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

What kinds of rides do you do on this bike?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

wtf is wrong with your ratio? This is too tarck for me. :anger react:

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The problem with road cranks on a track bike is the chain line. The pros that have done it used custom made cogs that extend out further. The other choice is the use the inner chainring, but that looks awful.

Dovitsky

by Dovitsky

dudemanppl wrote:wtf is wrong with your ratio? This is too tarck for me. :anger react:

Haha yeah you're right. There's a 49t chainring being made at the moment, hoping to get in the next few weeks.

Dovitsky

by Dovitsky

joeyb1000 wrote:The problem with road cranks on a track bike is the chain line. The pros that have done it used custom made cogs that extend out further. The other choice is the use the inner chainring, but that looks awful.

Thanks, yeah that's been my main concern. Might be a fun experiment down the road.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I think a Red crankset with a custom machined alloy chainring would still be lighter than this.

Dovitsky

by Dovitsky

dudemanppl wrote:I think a Red crankset with a custom machined alloy chainring would still be lighter than this.

Oh for sure, that's why I'm in inquiring about using a Red crank on track frame. I've seen it done a few times, but I'm looking to hear some success stories before pulling the trigger on a set.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

take a look here, this guy from sram built a custom chainring adapter to use with a road quarq crank, something like this is possible, but I don't know if the adapter + crank will weight less than a lightweight track crank...

http://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=770

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com