Mother of God. What happened to my bike [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

So I got an indoor trainer. Never had one before, but seemed simple enough. Take wheel off. Stick it on trainer cassette.

Next day I noticed this when trying to get wheel on.

I don't even know what this part is called. Can it be replaced? I bent off the offending silver piece so I could get the wheel on. Is it safe to ride until I learn how to fix it?

Bonus: how can this even happen :shock:

mattr

by mattr

It looks like a reinforcing plate for the carbon (?) dropout. Stop the axle end eating the dropout.

Unfortunately the material was too thin where the hole was drilled. And it wasn't well stuck down.

I doubt you'll be able to get it as a spare. You could try gluing the piece back down with some epoxy. (Don't get any on the screw)

Other than that, not a very good design!

And I'd not want to ride far with it like that. The axle end won't be loaded up against the drop out properly. Might damage the frame. Or the wheel might pop out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

bent hanger. look up at a few places, but try here....

http://derailleurhanger.com/

edit...oh, i just noticed it was on the inside. probably bend it back in and epoxy...clamp down.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Shrike

by Shrike

Crap. Have to go bin hoking for it!

BRM

by BRM

What bikeframe is that?

AJS914

by AJS914

It doesn't look like the trainer had anything to do with that.

spud

by spud

Don't agree. Clamping the frame to a trainer introduces a constraint to the system, i.e. a significant amount of torque is now applied through the dropouts, for example when climbing onto the bike. If the design is marginal, it can be exposed by mounting on a trainer.

In any case, I think the area which has been torn away needs to be built up again with a similarly hard material in order to ensure equal clamping forces around the dropout. I think you can apply epoxy, move that bent material back into place. Coat your axle end with wax, then clamp it lightly back in the dropouts to squeeze out the excess epoxy.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Help us to help you. What frame and what trainer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

F45

by F45

I hate that design with the super small allen bolts. I got a bike with them so I filled them with silicone so they wouldn't get filled with road goo and corroded.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, frame is my Workswell FM066. Got it in September for a winter build. Got just 500 miles on it according to Strava. The trainer is a Tacx Neo. Done about 80 miles on it since Monday.

Haven't been going hardcore or anything :x

Too tired last night to search the link for a part, will try today. Emailed Workswell to see if they had a spare part..

Also going to try and find that spare piece in the rubbish tonight and see about having a go gluing it as above :|

mattr

by mattr

Problem with getting a part is that you'll have to peel the rest of the part off, and it might be glued properly........ (might damage the dropout, but unlikely if you are careful)

Time for a good rumamge in the bin!

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:Too tired last night to search the link for a part, will try today. Emailed Workswell to see if they had a spare part..

On any major brand that would be a warranty frame replacement.

Shrike

by Shrike

Argh nightmare, so I have to decide then.. Workswell said they'd send a new part for 15USD. If I can't find the broken bit I'll have to go for that I guess :x

spud

by spud

if you can't locate the damaged piece, just cut some similar gauge stainless (assuming that's what the original material is) and bond it in. Doesn't need to fit perfectly, it only has to allow the clamping load to cross the gap and extend down to the bottom of the dropout. Your frame will be fine.

martinko

by martinko

wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Too tired last night to search the link for a part, will try today. Emailed Workswell to see if they had a spare part..

On any major brand that would be a warranty frame replacement.

It might not be, because carbon frames tend to have it forbidden to use them with indoor trainer.
This might be one of the reasons why. I have never thought why should there be a such problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com