Fizik Antares 00

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ckc527

by ckc527

Guys,

I'm trying to install a Fizik Antares 00 saddle on a 3T Palladio seatpost with oval rails support. The carbon rails on the Antares is just a bit too big so it's preventing the end caps (clamps) on the seatpost to be fully tighten down at the displayed max torque of 5nm. The result is a loose saddle. I tried to torque slightly over 5nm and can feel the saddle moving less. According to the saddle manual, it says max clamping force is 18nm. So is it safe for me to torque the end caps over the displayed max torque of 5nm since the carbon rails can handle it?

Also, there's a mesh wrap that goes around the carbon rails which I hear suppose to prevent slips. If I can remove this wrap, I think the clamps may close easier around the carbon rails. Do all carbon rails have this wrap? Can the wrap be replaced if I mess it up?

Thanks,
ckc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsinclair

by jsinclair

You need the oval rail endcaps to fit that saddle. Either contact the place you bought the seat post or speak to 3T.

Don't remove the protective wrap.

ckc527

by ckc527

jsinclair wrote:You need the oval rail endcaps to fit that saddle. Either contact the place you bought the seat post or speak to 3T.

Don't remove the protective wrap.

This is the part I got ... http://www.3tcycling.com/small-parts/palladio-difflock-oval
It comes with the inner spline that holds oval rails and matching end caps.
The protective wrap on the carbon rails is making it hard for the palladio end caps to be properly tighten. If I stop the torque at 5nm, the saddle still moves. So is it okay to go pass 5nm ?

ckc527

by ckc527

So anyone here have experience using Fizik Antares 00 on a 3T Palladio seatpost w/ oval rails support?

Thanks,
ckc

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I thought I remember hearing the Palladio wasn't compatible with oversized carbon rails. This new adapter piece may have tried to solve the earlier issue. Can always try calling QBP +1 952 941 9391 www.qbp.com - it's listed on http://3tcycling.com/contact-us.

ckc527

by ckc527

Wcl4 wrote:I thought I remember hearing the Palladio wasn't compatible with oversized carbon rails. This new adapter piece may have tried to solve the earlier issue. Can always try calling QBP +1 952 941 9391 http://www.qbp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it's listed on http://3tcycling.com/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Hi Wcl4,

I emailed 3T and RoadBikeBitz (where I purchased the Palladio difflock mechanism w/ oval rails) but have not heard back. I'll try calling QBP tomorrow. Hopefully someone there can tell me why even with the aforementioned part I still can't fit a saddle with 7x9mm oval rails.

Thanks,
ckc

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Although the saddle torque spec is higher than 5nm, 3t uses ti bolts - at least they do on their stems. I've ruined a couple of stems because the bolt head snapped using the Ritchey torque key to a full 5nm. I would be careful with the 3t bolts. I have some Antares saddles, and they have a considerably meatier rail than my Selle Italia SLR.

ckc527

by ckc527

Wcl4 wrote:Although the saddle torque spec is higher than 5nm, 3t uses ti bolts - at least they do on their stems. I've ruined a couple of stems because the bolt head snapped using the Ritchey torque key to a full 5nm. I would be careful with the 3t bolts. I have some Antares saddles, and they have a considerably meatier rail than my Selle Italia SLR.

I don't have a tool to do a precise measurement of the Antares 00 saddle rails but I suspect it is bigger than 7x9mm especially with the protective wrap that goes around the rails. I think this is why my Palladio oval end caps can't fit properly over the rails, assuming 3T's oval end caps were designed for 7x9mm.

ckc

ckc527

by ckc527

Issue resolved. I wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the oval rails section where it contacts with the end caps. At 5nm torque, the saddle is now secured with no movement.

Thanks,
ckc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com