Which size Colnago C59? 60 or 61?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tigradekat

by tigradekat

I am on the verge of ordering a C59. I am having a bear of a time deciding on the size though: 60 or 61?

I will fit on both I guess. The the way I see it, the reach difference is only 3mm, taking the Scs into account. The biggest difference is in the head tube: 1cm. Based on several threads by Calnago I have gleaned he has about the same inseam as myself, as well as about the same height. He is on a 61. But: I tend to have a bit more drop than he: Around 10 cm, and I like to ride with a more modern, compact bend bar compared to the classic bar he's using. This means I could either slam the stem all the way down on the 61, or have a small spacer on the 60, combined with an 8 degree stem like the Deda 100. Based on the attached measurements, which size would suit me best you think? All constructive comments are appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hi, sounds like you've seen my bike threads, but I'd suggest it's almost a tossup. I am 185cm with a 91cm inseam. On my C59 I have a saddle height of 803cm and a saddle to bar drop of 81mm I believe. That's with a 3mm spacer above the tall top cover over the headset and a -6 degree 130mm stem. You could achieve your 10cm drop (assuming a similar saddle height as me) by the ways you suggest. So, it's likely you'll get a perfect "fit" on either frame (seat tube angles are identical) and both will look good. When splitting hairs trying to choose between incremental sizes of Colnagos I think something very important to consider is weight distribution and riding style. I consider 10+ centimeters of saddle to bar drop to be quite aggressive. Your center of gravity moves forward as you get more aggressive. If you're a heavier rider and carry some extra weight in your torso or just more of a muscular build up top than your average waiflike pro cyclist, then I'd probably opt for the 61. If you are super light with not much weight up top, I think the 60 would work too. You seem to be on the right track in your thinking. Given that your correct fit can likely be achieved on either frame, it comes down to how your weight gets distributed which in turn contributes to how the bike ultimately handles on the road.

The caveat to all this is there are a lot of things to consider besides just height and inseam, etc. And the thing about Colnagos is there are probably 2 or 3 sizes that will work just fine for you. I am very happy on my 61. There is nothing I would change.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Thanks for your comments! My saddle height indeed is about the same as yours: 805mm. You are right, there is a lot more to bikefit than just inseam and top tube/reach measurements. I decided to go with the 61. To me it seems the best fit all things considered. The effective head tube length of 20cm including head set cups is not too tall to give me problems with drop, and the 61cm height of the seat tube is just about small enough not to look "off" as well with the saddle height I need. I will post pictures when I am ready to build her up. It will be quite a different build than yours, a bit more modern, but the color scheme I have selected should work very well with what I have in mind... Cheers!

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Always take the smaller one when in doubt!

I run extremely small frames for my height and use a long stem because my arms are relatively long compared to my torso. That is another thing to consider. If your torso is relatively short your weight distribution will move backward and you might be better off with a smaller frame with a shorter front centre size (A). Moreover, since the 61 would force you to run the stem without any spacers, I'd go for the 60.

That is, unless your stem becomes excessively long (130mm +) because that will limit your choice. Keep the steerer 1-2 cm longer than strictly necessary for a while and put a spacer above the stem.
Last edited by Gazelleer on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Thanks for the comments Gazelleer. I will have no problems with drop on the 61. My current bike has a head tube of 185mm, with a total of 30mm spacers, including head set cap. As there are head set caps as low as 8mm, I will have no trouble getting to the same drop as I have now. And to be honest: I might benefit from a bit less drop anyway.

Actually, after carefully looking at both the 60 and the 61 sizes, the 61 seems as close to a custom fit for me as can be without actually being custom. I expect a 120mm stem to be perfect, or maybe a 130mm. We'll see.

And to be honest (and no offense!): I really dislike the looks of a bike with a spacer tower like the ones on your bike. You might need it with your body proportions, but it seems you could have gone for a frame size larger with a stem a bit shorter?

My body proportions are very average luckily, which in the case of the C59 allows me to pick the size just right for me.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

That's quite alright! For me it is all about the handling and I way prefer the handling of the smaller frame with a long stem. Unfortunately with the brands I buy I don't have the luxury of 1cm increments in size as with the Colnago C59...

I thought you would have no room left for stem adjustment but if that is not the case the 61 may fit. Please be aware though that since the STA is identical for the two sizes the difference in reach will be the 6mm mentioned as the difference in top tube length or at least very close, given that STA and HTA are very similar for frame sizes around 60cm. Since the front-centre difference is only 4mm the HTA of the 61 may be slightly steeper than the 60 (unless the fork rake is different).

c50jim

by c50jim

I ride with saddle about 1 cm lower than you and like a drop in the 9 cm range. 59s work fine for me. I've owned one 60 (me second Colnago and owned two 59s at the same time) but decided that I preferred the handling of the 59. I suspect you'd be OK with either and if you start with the 61, that will seem most natural to you.

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Gazelleer wrote:... Please be aware though that since the STA is identical for the two sizes the difference in reach will be the 6mm mentioned as the difference in top tube length or at least very close, given that STA and HTA are very similar for frame sizes around 60cm. Since the front-centre difference is only 4mm the HTA of the 61 may be slightly steeper than the 60 (unless the fork rake is different).

Of course you're absolutely correct. Somehow I disregarded the head tube angle. A 120mm stem will more than likely be the correct one to use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

John5339

by John5339

Sorry I have come on a bit late to this thread but I found the comments interesting.

I am 1867mm heightwise and I pondered my C 59 size choice long and hard before going for a traditional 59. I'm no spring chicken, but all my bikes to date have been stock 58's in size (thats 58 centre to centre) , with top tubes at 57, or 57.5 in length. I tend to use a 120 or 130mm stem, slammed with no spacers. I have never been professionally fitted but have always favoured this size. I have ridden a few stock 60 frames but always felt a bit stretched and "high up".

My C59 is currently being built up. I will re-post after my first few rides, which could be well into the spring looking at the cr*p weather we are experiencing in the UK at present!!