HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which would you buy and why?
Poll ended at Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:01 am
2014 DeRosa 888 Super King 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Colnago C60 71%  71%  [ 34 ]
2014 Wilier Zero 7 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 48
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:01 am 

I'm helping my mate narrow down his new bike search after crashing his Cinelli Strato and needs some help whittling down the choices. the above bikes are all top quality, but assuming fit is equal on all, which would you buy and why.

He loves Italian bikes (for no real reason) and intends to build it up with Campag, Mech or elcect (depending on final cost) The use is for all round riding and racing, and he also has a Colnago Dream HP, which is the wet weather bike.

He is more of a hills rider than a sprinter and is pretty light weight and is probably more interested in overall ride quality than weight. Given the cost of the C60 and DeRosa, there is plenty to choose from, so any other suggestions are welcome (although Trek, Giant, Specialized need not apply, again no real reason but he likes the Italian or at least European).

cheers

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 am 
in the industry

For a true Italophile the Wilier is a non starter, IMO. Only the paint is possibly Italian. Of the remaining two, I think the C60 edges it simply because in 20 years I have never seen or heard of a Colnago c-series warranty but have seen plenty of issues with De Rosa Kings. But the deciding factor would be fit, so if a C60 is in the mix, why not check out Legend? Definitely hand built in Italy and very very nice indeed.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 am 

Just started building a C60. The finish and level of detail is beautiful. Knowing how my C59 rides I have no doubt it will ride beautifully. I'am building with EPS but only ride for fun. If you race go mechanical unless you've got loads of cash. If you dump it the cost of replacement parts is too high. Legend looks lovely but price is in another league for their top models.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:04 am 

Basso Diamante, available in many Bikeforce stores across Australia. Awesome bike; super stiff and great climber. Gorgeous looks too. Some really good deals on the 2014 models now. Oh, and it's made in Italy.

My baby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:09 pm 

The C60 is the only real Italian bike out of the ones listed...although I'm sure they are all great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 pm 

Availability in Oz might be difficult but for a really exclusive ride the Olympia 849 might be worth considering. The quality of the finish is fantastic for such a light bike and the weight is competitive with the Zero.7.

Otherwise the choice has got to be a personal one. If you want a C-60 there's not really anything else around that's the same, if you want a truly lightweight frame the Zero.7 works really well etc. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:45 pm 

@tbrix
What size is your Basso Diamante? Did you get a chance to weigh the frame and fork?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:54 pm 

Before contributing to this thread I want to explain my username "Calnago". I have no affiliation with Colnago, my first name is Cal (Calvin), and I do a fair bit of work on or building of high end bikes. Hence one day, some tri guy whose bike I happened to be working on looked at my Colnagos and started calling me Calnago as a play on words using the two names. When I joined Weightweenies I was at a loss for a username so just used that and I happened to be building a really nice bike (C59) of my own that I thought I'd post up here. I like a lot of bikes, but I do have a special fondness for Colnagos for sure. They are just well thought out and made bicycles. I am limiting my comments to their highest end bikes and quite frankly, don't really care about their models below that level. I have been around long enough to know some history and can appreciate your friend's affinity towards a nice Italian bike. I get his "reasons", valid or not. I still believe Colnago makes some of the best bicycles in the world. The geometry is right, and over the years when new manufacturers come on board, I've seen many geometries gradually change and get modified to the point of being very similar to a Colnago. And the fact that Colnago makes so many incremental sizes is no small thing, although with the introduction of sloping sizes that feature is less prominent today. Whereas with many other manufacturers you may fit well on one of their sizes, you could probably fit well on several sizes of Colnagos. And if you like straight clean lines on a bicycle, a lugged colnago is a really nice option.

Having said all that, you say your friend is racing. I love my Colnagos and while I don't baby them in any sense while riding, I think I'd choose something else for racing unless I was sponsored and not paying for my frames. I could easily fit very well on a Specilaized Tarmac or a Trek for example. And they'd be lighter too if that matters to you. I still haven't seen a C60 up close or built one yet, but I'm not sure it will go down in history as storied as say, the C59, C50 or C40. That's not to say it won't, but I haven't warmed up to the huge tubes on the C60 quite yet; maybe it's partly due to what I found beautiful in bikes from a very early age. I still have my first high end road bike, a steel 1990-91 Basso Loto with SLX tubing. And its geometry is very close to the geometry of my size 61Traditional colnagos today. In between I've had several custom frames, thinking a frame made be a great builder just for me might be better. They weren't. There is no bicycle I like to ride, work on, or just admire more than a nice Colnago. Times are changing for sure. But what your friend wants is hard to describe, yet understood, at least by me.

I also like Rapha commercials, but feel I was of that mindset long before Rapha even existed. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:22 pm 

I'd take a look at sarto. Custom choices galore. Classy bikes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:39 pm 

Rippin wrote:
@tbrix
What size is your Basso Diamante? Did you get a chance to weigh the frame and fork?

Size 48. Sorry, no, don't have weights for frame and fork.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:08 pm 

Legend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:46 am 

Thanks for all the comments guys, keep them coming. Any thoughts on Look 695 or Lapiere?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:25 am 

Ive never had a Colnago but they are known to last forever and they hold their value over time. I cant say the same about the others. Have fun choosing a new bike!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:25 am 

How about a Casati, custom made in italy... or a Carbon Tommasini?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 am 

The look is definitely not Italian , though it is made in a LOOK factory (not Taiwanese factory that builds for look, bit a look factory in Algir).

I have tided look 381, 585 and now the 595.
Have only praises for the ride quality of all these. The new ones are different (no lugs) but supposedly have the same ride qualities.
If he is a lightweight climber, maybe a NOS look586 will fit... Basically climbers bike (there's a review on ww for it - many praises. I will try to find it).
587 could be found quite cheap in the us (2700 for an ultegra - mavic elite build).

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next