HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:05 am 

I have been riding a Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3 for about the last 4 years. Over time it has become evident that the Tarmac is a pretty harsh ride. Even with 85 psi in the tires I still feel everything (I weigh 140 lbs).
In considering a new bike I came upon the EVO after reading about how the frame is designed for a smoother ride. Today I test rode a EVO with Shimano 105, of course it was the lower end frame. Still I liked it very much, the ride was much smoother than my Tarmac. The smoother ride gave the illusion of having a lighter feel and it also felt more balanced while standing, but it still had a direct feel when pushing it. The whole bike costs $2,000 but I was told a frameset would be $3500. I am assuming the higher end frame would save weight and possible have a better ride. If the only difference between the low and high end is just weight, I could buy the bike for $2000, sell the parts and put the parts I want on it. The bike I test rode probably weighed 2 to 3 lbs more than my Tarmac, I think most of that is due to the components rather than the frame. So I am wondering if there is a way to get a frameset for less than $3500. There are not a lot of dealers here and I had a hard time just finding one to test ride. I found some framesets on Ebay being sold by somebody in Taiwan but I think it would pretty risky since the frame could be counterfeit and the warranty may not be valid.
I read a new EVO could be coming out later this year, maybe I should wait for that? I was kind of pissed when Specialized came out with the SL4 shortly after I bought the SL3. Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 am 

What you've ridden, and the frameset you have been quoted for are 2 different beasts.
What Cannondale have done is to trickle down the name Evo to a lower level, without the hi mod carbon, but use the design features of the upper one to influence how the bike will ride.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am 

Have both frames, tarmac sl3 sworks 58 and evo hi mod 58. The hi mod has better damping and I like the geo a lot better for my body and fit. It's got the snap and stiffness of the s-works as well. The benefits of more comfort and better handling, especially downhill, make the Evo a nice upgrade imo. For me it was a great transition, and I really loved the Sl3 as well, so I was super skeptical of changing frames. First thing i did was go and hit rough roads that I know well and enjoyed the damping.

I have also heard the regular layup evo is great. You can get the hi mod for about 2k on ebay brand new boxed, there are some legit shops that turn around overstock on there. There were like 5 of those in a variety of sizes early winter at least. I've seen the regular evo frame going for like $1200 new or slightly used. There is also the caad10 which is amazing as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm 

Is this one legit?
If I order from Taiwan is the warranty still valid, the seller told me yes?
Would the Hi-Mod ride even better than the standard or is it just a difference in weight?
The weight difference seems to be 350g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-2013- ... 4d2fb631db

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:39 pm 

It looks right, and the price is right. Fakes are usually from mainland China or local resellers and are at genuinely too good to be true prices, i.e. hundreds of dollars not thousands.

May be best off asking Cannondale if the warranty is valid worldwide or regional.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:36 pm 

I found this on Cannondale's web site. So if I bought the frameset off Ebay from Taiwan I don't think the warranty would be valid:

For any warranty claim to be considered, the bicycle must be brought in to an Authorized Cannondale Bicycle Retailer on the same continent on which the bicycle was purchased.

I am also finding it difficult to find a dealer selling framesets for less than the $3500 retail, one said they could do $3,200.
I would save maybe $550 buying from Taiwan but likely without a warranty.

I also found that I can buy a whole bike for a better deal. The HiMod Dura Ace is on sale for $4300 and the regular Ultegra is $2600. They also come with a Garmin Edge 510 which I could sell for about $250. I would have to give up my Ultegra Di2 as the Di2 only comes on framesets or the very expensive bikes. If weight is the only advantage of HiMod then I really don't need to have it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:07 pm 

There is something fishy going on with the listing you posted. That color scheme in the himod is/was the electronic only, but the first pic has cable stops for mechanical. Then the rest of the pics are of the electronic only. The same year that frame was new, '13 I believe, there was a mech frame/bike that had a similar color scheme that was not a himod. So don't know exactly what is going on there...

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm 

hornedfrog wrote:
There is something fishy going on with the listing you posted. That color scheme in the himod is/was the electronic only, but the first pic has cable stops for mechanical. Then the rest of the pics are of the electronic only. The same year that frame was new, '13 I believe, there was a mech frame/bike that had a similar color scheme that was not a himod. So don't know exactly what is going on there...

The seller told me that frame was modified to be either mech or electronic.
I am not sure if the mod was done by the factory or somebody else.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:30 pm 

I don't think there is any appreciable difference between the Hi-Mod frame and the cheaper version other than 150g or so. The ride and handling are the same.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:04 am 

Cannondale Evo's are either mechanic or electronic.. period. I would not trust someone else drilling a few holes in the tubing. That alone will void any warranty.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:58 am 

double post

Last edited by superdx on Mon May 04, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 am 

superdx wrote:
DeLuz wrote:
hornedfrog wrote:

The seller told me that frame was modified to be either mech or electronic.
I am not sure if the mod was done by the factory or somebody else.

Warning bells. For that year, framesets from Cannondale are either mech or electric. You can't modify them without drilling, and drilling carbon is asking for random failure when you least expect it.

For that color scheme, it does come in mechanical but it was sold as a full bike (SRAM RED) and not a frameset. The frameset is electronic for that color. There's also something metallic on the left chanstay, I have a Di2 frame for the same model year and there's nothing like it on mine.

I'd stay away, it looks fake, or maybe a factory reject. For that price, you could get a 2014/2015 new frame from a Cannondale LBS.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:06 am 

I wouldn't trust that listing either. I have bought legit new frames through ebay though, from usa dealers. It's wise to have phone coversation regarding honoring warranty, etc. Same for wheels. Some bike shops just tend to off load stuff on the bay but will treat it as in store purchase.

Some cannondale LBS do have season end sales. I think even REI does that at times.

Are you more concerned with the price of what you get or the change from tarmac to evo?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 am 

I called some Cannondale shops in the area (So Cal). Most of them were surprisingly not very knowledgeable or had any bikes in stock my size, they just quoted me the retail price. But I did find one shop that has an Ultegra model for a good price. They told me they have had more warranty issues with the HiMod and that it might in fact ride harsher due to the stiffer carbon. The small weight difference doesn't bother me so it looks like I will getting that bike and selling my Tarmac as a whole bike which should be easier than swapping and selling framesets and I may end up not having to loose much money. The Taiwan thing just seems too sketchy too me. Thanks for all the help with my decision.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 am 

You will enjoy it. Fyi I saw REI has the evo ultegra for 2999.

Go to page 1, 2  Next