HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time xpresso pedals
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am 

Went for my first ride yesterday with the Xpresso's and I'm impressed! My RXS's must have been way past their used by date as the increase in stability in the cleats/pedal interface is quite significant. I think the beefier cleat is better, there's less flex in the front of the cleat and clicking in is so easy...

The Xpresso's actually remind me of the original TIME Equipe pedals, I'm sure this is due to the metal plate on the top, they have that 'slippery' feel that many either loved or hated back in the late 1980's...I remember when TIME's first came out some said it was like walking on ice.

Unless the long term durability on these proves to be bad I'm sticking with them. These crap all over Speedplay in so many ways and the restrictive lack of float in Shimano/LOOK's means I'll never go back to them too...and I have no issues with sharp edges either. :wink:

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Last edited by Wingnut on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 pm 

tokyoturtle wrote:
Sharp edges - YES.
I got a nasty scratch on my calf from the pedal. Didn't even feel it until getting home and into the shower. Had monster-sized bandaids on it for a week.

If you haven't had a time xpresso scratch you then you're next :)

On one level: It is just a minor design flaw.

But on another level, it is such an obvious and easily changed flaw that it really makes you wonder if Time's designers ever actually ride bikes. They obviously included a lot of gratuitous curves and sharp edges purely for "space-age styling".

I don't own these and they are getting good reviews so I am still on the fence, just following the reviews.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 pm 
  • 17.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 38 components by TIME

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 am 

My longer-term review (of the 12):

Pedals are awesome. Great engagement. Seem to return to the same position if you clip out pretty consistently. Incredibly light weight. Look great. Feel is good. Big platform.

Pedals do attempt to gorge holes in the back of your calf if you aren't careful. Ruined two socks with the blood that has run down to them from the two times I've cut myself with them. No big deal as it's a freak thing that only happens if you push off without thinking of getting your clipped-out leg out of the way of the pedal.

Cleats suck. They get completely destroyed after like a month of riding. There is just no excuse for this. I'm living with it for the time being, but if someone else can make an equally light pedal I'm jumping ship in hope of more durable cleats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 am 

Ok...I've been training quite regularly on these pedals now and and can say I've had quite a few mis clip-ins, the V section at the front of the pedal isn't quite as pronounced as with the RXS's so the cleat doesn't connect as instantaneous. Also the pedals are sharp...thought I cut my knee yesterday but it was just a graze...I concede there is the potential to do some damage there.

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 am 

pje0713 wrote:
Cleats suck. They get completely destroyed after like a month of riding. There is just no excuse for this. I'm living with it for the time being, but if someone else can make an equally light pedal I'm jumping ship in hope of more durable cleats.

Just a... ummm... general question: is there a patent on Time's cleat design?
For example, we have Look Pedals out there and their cleats. Then along comes a company (off the top of my head) like Exustar that produces light Look-compatible pedals that also come with cleats... which, with compatibility, fit into Look pedals as well.

I know that the market for Time pedals is much smaller than Look-compatible pedals, which is the lionshare of road pedals (or maybe it's Shimano?), but anyway, aside from market feasibility, is there anything stopping a company from producing Time compatible pedals that are better than Time's rendition of their own pedal?

This ties in, slightly, with Wingnut's comments above regarding the cleat design and missed-clip-ins.

Sorry for the slight OT, just thinking/posting out loud. It's been a long day. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:20 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

There was a patent on Look's pedal/cleat design. The copies only arrived once this patent expired.

Quote:
I know that the market for Time pedals is much smaller than Look-compatible pedals

Time pedals have adopted the same industrial standard (viewed from the shoe side of things anyway) as Look since they abandoned their own four point TBT standard and opted for the three point delta cleat instead many years ago.
I don't know how big the market is for Time pedals but I'd say it's about the same size as it would be for Look.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:47 am 

Received mine time xpresso 12 pedals (2 sets) this week and did two rides till now. They replaced my dura ace 7900 carbon pedals and the difference in weight for a set was almost 100 grams. Riding was fine, stable and easy to clip in and out. Also have to mentione the sharp edges and all pedals had some play before the first ride. Did you all get your pedals with some play? My dura ace pedals did not have play, even after a few years of riding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:53 am 

Have to say I've been a Time user for a decade or more but the Expresso cleats really do wear out quickly. Best used if your ride does not involve any walking. Someone should come up with a durable cleat cover. The RXS cleat is sturdier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 pm 
Administrator

I must be doing something wrong. My cleats are 4 months old and they are prefecy fine. When I ride my road bike I ride it and don't walk around much. I would use my fixie if I want to be bouncing around doing errands and needed a shoe to walk in.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 pm 

airwise wrote:
Have to say I've been a Time user for a decade or more but the Expresso cleats really do wear out quickly. Best used if your ride does not involve any walking. Someone should come up with a durable cleat cover. The RXS cleat is sturdier.
'

isn´t the RXS cleat compatible with expresso? thought i had read it somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 pm 

no , expresso cleats are compatible with iclics but not RXS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

Time Xpresso 4 user here. Been using it for about one month for commuting so lots of right-foot clip/unclipping.

I've used speedplays, shimanos, and time impacts in the past.

The lightness of the body makes pedaling feel more effortless and I feel more in tune with my cadence. The wider body feels better than speedplay. I've been a fan of the float with the time impacts in the past so it's natural for me.

The clip-in is easy if the body is rotated corrected. I ride in a busy city so I sometimes have to just pedal without being clipped in due to cars/traffic behind me. Speedplay wins here for traffic.

The cleat wear is most important to me. The cleat seems to be composed of two types of plastic, one softer, one harder. The front tip's softer plastic has worn off. The harder plastic looks like it's still holding. The rest of the cleat still looks fine, including the important engagement piece.

The body has sharp edges and it pissed me off when I got scratched on them. WTF Time??! Basic safety and usability here! I filed down the sharp edges and the cuts have been minimized.

How's everyone else's cleat holding up? I'm still waiting for more feedback from other users before I swap my other bike for Xpresso. Or I might just go with the RXS if cleat wear sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 am 

Even though I love my Xpresso 12's (3 sets), I hate having a knife down there with the potential to slice open the calf muscle, cut my self twice so far, time should round off the platform on the outer edge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 am 

You could DIY and take a fine grade file and some sandpaper to round off the edges ? ( Since you like the pedals so much ?? )

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 am 
  • 17.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 38 components by TIME

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 am 

Juanmoretime wrote:
When I ride my road bike I ride it and don't walk around much. I would use my fixie if I want to be bouncing around doing errands and needed a shoe to walk in.

Riding a fixie on 10 hour randonees in the high Alps might be a bit impractical.

Still finding the wear on these cleats is ridiculous. My RXS's wore quite quickly but acceptably so. I've converted one bike back to those.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next