Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tokyoturtle

by tokyoturtle

Just my cr*ppy technique then perhaps; on my ride this morning the clip-ins were much better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I was originally worried about false clip-ins, so before I installed them, I actually figure out how to 'unclip' a false clip in in case it happened (not hard to do, but you would probably have to get off your bike). Coming off speedplays (and still switching between pedal systems for about 50% of my rides). I've stepped into the xpresso's in a lot of "not right" ways. I've never had a false clip in.
I do have one complaint, and it was something I worried about early on. I got on the bike from a different position than usual, and cut my leg on the sharp protrusion on the outside edge. I think I learned my lesson, but if it happens again I'm getting the file out!

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I have put 2800km on my 8's now and with a few adjustments in the cleat / and locking in I have found mine have far exceeded the LOOK TI Blades I had that squeaked and the carbon body breaking .
I brought the 8's to test out prior to throwing cash at a 12 only to be disappointed.
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

natiedean24

by natiedean24

rowdysluggins wrote:I do have one complaint, and it was something I worried about early on. I got on the bike from a different position than usual, and cut my leg on the sharp protrusion on the outside edge. I think I learned my lesson, but if it happens again I'm getting the file out!

Sounds like the folks at Time spent too much time designing behind a computer and not enough time riding their new design. The sharp edge issue has been mentioned many times - seems like they could have figured out that was not in the best interest for a rider.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Oddly enough, I think the pedals were designed to be ridden. sharp edges aren't an issue when you're riding.
Despite the issues I've had with mine, I'd still rather ride any Time pedal than anything else from anyone else.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

boolinwall wrote:Oddly enough, I think the pedals were designed to be ridden. sharp edges aren't an issue when you're riding.
Despite the issues I've had with mine, I'd still rather ride any Time pedal than anything else from anyone else.

You still have to get on and off your bike. If you haven't scratched your leg with the sharp edges yet, I applaud you. I have, and I think it is a weak point in the design (until I can figure out a way of getting on my bike that doesn't involve standing somewhere near the pedals first).

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Had you considered dropping on it from above.lol And no,, I haven't been cut by mine yet, but I'm looking forward to my first opportunity. Which will be quickly followed by me filing off the edges and cursing under my breath as to how poor a design it is.lol

tokyoturtle

by tokyoturtle

Sharp edges - YES.
I got a nasty scratch on my calf from the pedal. Didn't even feel it until getting home and into the shower. Had monster-sized bandaids on it for a week.

If you haven't had a time xpresso scratch you then you're next :)

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Fitted my new Xpresso pedals on my training bike tonight and the cleats...haven't ridden them properly yet but the first thing I noticed is the cleats are a lot stiffer, the pontoons don't flex when walking. Clip in is definitely easier than the RXS's and there's more stability...also had to raise my saddle...

I don't foresee any issues with the pedals being sharp unless I crash and the bike falls on me... :roll:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Went for my first ride yesterday with the Xpresso's and I'm impressed! My RXS's must have been way past their used by date as the increase in stability in the cleats/pedal interface is quite significant. I think the beefier cleat is better, there's less flex in the front of the cleat and clicking in is so easy...

The Xpresso's actually remind me of the original TIME Equipe pedals, I'm sure this is due to the metal plate on the top, they have that 'slippery' feel that many either loved or hated back in the late 1980's...I remember when TIME's first came out some said it was like walking on ice.

Unless the long term durability on these proves to be bad I'm sticking with them. These crap all over Speedplay in so many ways and the restrictive lack of float in Shimano/LOOK's means I'll never go back to them too...and I have no issues with sharp edges either. :wink:
Last edited by Wingnut on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

by Rick

tokyoturtle wrote:Sharp edges - YES.
I got a nasty scratch on my calf from the pedal. Didn't even feel it until getting home and into the shower. Had monster-sized bandaids on it for a week.

If you haven't had a time xpresso scratch you then you're next :)

On one level: It is just a minor design flaw.

But on another level, it is such an obvious and easily changed flaw that it really makes you wonder if Time's designers ever actually ride bikes. They obviously included a lot of gratuitous curves and sharp edges purely for "space-age styling".

I don't own these and they are getting good reviews so I am still on the fence, just following the reviews.

pje0713

by pje0713

My longer-term review (of the 12):

Pedals are awesome. Great engagement. Seem to return to the same position if you clip out pretty consistently. Incredibly light weight. Look great. Feel is good. Big platform.

Pedals do attempt to gorge holes in the back of your calf if you aren't careful. Ruined two socks with the blood that has run down to them from the two times I've cut myself with them. No big deal as it's a freak thing that only happens if you push off without thinking of getting your clipped-out leg out of the way of the pedal.

Cleats suck. They get completely destroyed after like a month of riding. There is just no excuse for this. I'm living with it for the time being, but if someone else can make an equally light pedal I'm jumping ship in hope of more durable cleats.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ok...I've been training quite regularly on these pedals now and and can say I've had quite a few mis clip-ins, the V section at the front of the pedal isn't quite as pronounced as with the RXS's so the cleat doesn't connect as instantaneous. Also the pedals are sharp...thought I cut my knee yesterday but it was just a graze...I concede there is the potential to do some damage there.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

pje0713 wrote:Cleats suck. They get completely destroyed after like a month of riding. There is just no excuse for this. I'm living with it for the time being, but if someone else can make an equally light pedal I'm jumping ship in hope of more durable cleats.

Just a... ummm... general question: is there a patent on Time's cleat design?
For example, we have Look Pedals out there and their cleats. Then along comes a company (off the top of my head) like Exustar that produces light Look-compatible pedals that also come with cleats... which, with compatibility, fit into Look pedals as well.

I know that the market for Time pedals is much smaller than Look-compatible pedals, which is the lionshare of road pedals (or maybe it's Shimano?), but anyway, aside from market feasibility, is there anything stopping a company from producing Time compatible pedals that are better than Time's rendition of their own pedal?

This ties in, slightly, with Wingnut's comments above regarding the cleat design and missed-clip-ins.

Sorry for the slight OT, just thinking/posting out loud. It's been a long day. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

There was a patent on Look's pedal/cleat design. The copies only arrived once this patent expired.

I know that the market for Time pedals is much smaller than Look-compatible pedals

Time pedals have adopted the same industrial standard (viewed from the shoe side of things anyway) as Look since they abandoned their own four point TBT standard and opted for the three point delta cleat instead many years ago.
I don't know how big the market is for Time pedals but I'd say it's about the same size as it would be for Look.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.