Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

Just want to follow up, it wasn't actually the pedals making the clicking sound. I'm having some UT bearing issue on the non drive side. For once the "bb creak" is coming from the bb!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latman

by latman

deleted
Last edited by latman on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brighenne

by brighenne

brighenne wrote:The 10s have a carbon rather than composite body, which saves a claimed 5 grams.

I was the next post after the last time you asked.

latman

by latman

ok thanks brighenne , i started to look back through this thread but there were too many pages , I was sure they both have carbon (reinforced plastic) bodies but i have have snooped around online tonight and saw the mavic zxellium slr's have an alloy top plate instead of Stainless steel and wondered if that was the difference between #8 carbon and #10 ?

edited to say. i notice the new white #8 pro have no mention of carbon , neither do the #6 plasma or the regular white #6
Attachments
xpresso 8 - Copy.jpg

jmcat7

by jmcat7

The Time Sport USA catalog runs through all of the differences. timesportusa dot com

There is a link for the catalog if you scroll to the bottom.

I believe #6 and #8 have hollow steel axles and composite (not carbon) bodies. #6 has a stainless steel plate, and #8 has an aluminum plate. The #10 upgrades to a carbon body and the #12 gets a titanium axle.

I picked up the #6. Easier to clip-in and out than SPD-SL in my opinion. However, I started developing right knee pain after 30 miles. I haven't been able to get it to go away after adjusting the cleat position. I'm going to switch back to SPD-SL and see what happens. Pretty bummed, as I really liked the pedals. Great weights too. I think mine came in at 210 for the set, instead of the advertised 204. Still pretty light for the $.

latman

by latman

a tried a strong magnet on carbon#8's top plate and sure enough it is stainless steel (mildly magnetic)

SkippyMcJimmelstein

by SkippyMcJimmelstein

Anyone with the high-end models able to comment on the added performance of the low weight and/or fancy bearings? I'm not much of a WW or dentist but I'm very tempted to the get the 15 and pedal air...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

SkippyMcJimmelstein wrote:Anyone with the high-end models able to comment on the added performance of the low weight and/or fancy bearings? I'm not much of a WW or dentist but I'm very tempted to the get the 15 and pedal air...
I have both the two top models from Mavic, the SLR & SLR Ti (10&12). I'm toying with the idea of getting the Mavic version of the 15 but not sure the 70% extra is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkippyMcJimmelstein

by SkippyMcJimmelstein

Are you glad you went with the high-end models?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Yep. No complaints at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Got a set of #10s this week, couple of rides, like them so far. Had MTB-type SPDs before. Walking is much better now, SPD cleats on road shoes are hell.

The xpresso 10 are 192g, cleats and hardware 84g.

TonyMM

by TonyMM

What are the differences between the Mavic and the time pedales (cannot find any :x ....except the color and the brand/ logo...) ?

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

There are conflicting opinions on whether or not the Times and Mavics are different.
No one has shown any actual proof that the quality and/or parts (other than color) are different.

BTW: I own 3 sets of the Time 12s, with over 8000 miles between them (mainly on two of the sets), and they have been great.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TonyMM wrote:What are the differences between the Mavic and the time pedales (cannot find any :x ....except the color and the brand/ logo...) ?
On March 4, 2014 in this thread. Mavic USA Communications Guy MavicZack wrote:the Mavic pedals are identical to the Time Xpresso series. The Zxellium SLR Ti corresponds to Xpresso 12.

Mavic and Time signed an agreement to co-develop pedal systems. It's a win for Mavic because the Time pedals are fantastic on their own, but even better (we would say) with our shoes. In particular the low weight pairs well with our shoes (very light), as do the biomechanics and low stack height (Mavic soles are super thin which can result in the lowest ball of foot to spindle distance available).
don't hesitate to hit me with PM for specific questions, only because I get email notification and can respond more promptly.
-zack
I think this was prior to the introduction of the Xpresso 15, nevertheless, I suspect the claim is that the corresponding Mavic pedal is (claimed to be) identiical as well.

TonyMM

by TonyMM

how does the time Xpresso 15 perform against the Dura Ace 9000 in terms of power transmission and smoothness?

(for example the Dura Ace 9000 have 3 bearing axle: 2-ball and 1-wide roller bearing and the Xpresso 15 have these new ceramic speed bearings)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com