Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

i have one pair of mavic zx sl ti pedal. 4000 km. no issues. once the bearings break in. silky smooth.
bought another pair of time xpresso 12 for a new build. they were 5 gm lighter. have not used them yet.

only major issue is cleat wear...as bad a looks
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TonyMM

by TonyMM

The Time Xpresso 15 are now available (at least in Germany).
RSP: 483€ :shock: The ceramic upgrade is expensive... :lol:
Online: 350€-400€

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I am considering a pair of Xpresso pedals.
I am wondering if the float allows for a slightly different foot position than pedals like Shimano and Look.
I have a chronic bad left foot with pain at ball of the foot.
I am wondering if the float in an Xpresso pedal might allow me to move my foot in a way that would put less pressure on the ball of my foot?

bungis

by bungis

Metal polish fixed my squeaking.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

boots2000 wrote:I am considering a pair of Xpresso pedals.
I am wondering if the float allows for a slightly different foot position than pedals like Shimano and Look.
I am wondering if the float in an Xpresso pedal might allow me to move my foot in a way that would put less pressure on the ball of my foot?

I've had Look pedals (years ago), but I felt too locked in even with the 6 degrees of float, so I went to speedplay X series (float up the wazoo) and used those for many years. No knee problems, but I just felt like I wanted a more solid platform underfoot. I switched to xpressos and I love the float, even though it isn't as much as speed-play X, it feels really free and kind of elasticy (and there is some lateral float too, which speedplay, time and DA don't have).
Also, it just feels like a really nice solid platform. I've had no issues at all,
As far as cleats go, I've got cleats with > 3000 miles on them that the soft rubber parts have completely warn off of, but they still work, so I haven't replaced them (and they are pretty cheap anyway).

eric01

by eric01

Sounds like you have a very specific knee condition. Best bet is to get the cheapest xpresso and try for yourself. Slight weight / durability penalty compared to higher models but the float will be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

BRM

by BRM

Not clear what you have on your left foot and what causes the pain at the ball of foot?
Is it because you have medical problems, wrong shoes, wrong bikefit? Not clear.

People with foot problems mostimes are best of with Speedplay.

Speedplay Zero gives you the option to adjust the float from 0-15 as well heel out as heel in,
AND the possibility to buy longer aftermarket/thirdparty spindles too.
AND easy shim system to adjust heigth and angle
(I dont say you need longer spindles but try to examine the effect in your situation)

boots2000

by boots2000

BRM- Speedplay are not an option. The free float and cleat wobble feel terrible to me. I have used Speedplay- they are not good for me.
eric01- I have a foot condition, my knees are fine. Yes, I am also exploring different shoe and insole
options, but wondering if a pedal that allows for centering float might help.
I also do not like the way that floating Look or Shimano cleats feel.
I may give a go to some cheap time Xpresso pedals as mentioned.

Starter

by Starter

I've been on a set of 12s for a little while now. I went 12's over 15's purely because of cost... I was able to pick up the 12's via a price match at Competitive Cyclist for $170 shipped. Cheapest I found the 15s was for $340.52. Paying literally twice as much to save 20g didn't seem very smart.

So far I like the 12s fine. I've maybe 500-600 miles on them. No issues in terms of durability as far as the cleats are concerned. The pair that came with the pedals are still going strong.

Only complaint I have is the weighting... I'd played around with a set of the 8's and the 10's in a shop, and both those pedals were weighted insomuch as they returned to a nose-up/rear-down orientation when disengaged, making clicking-in from a stop light a simple affair with no looking down. The 12's (and I'd assume the 15s) aren't weighted at the rear... So sometimes you're looking down to click in. I'd actually been on some Keo Blade 2s which I gotten rid of for this very reason... It was the entire point of going to the Xpressos for me. That said, these aren't as bad as the Blade 2s... Most of the time, my 12s will orient themselves horizontally, top up, bottom down. So it's pretty easy to just step in without looking down. Occasionally, they'll wander up or down by 90 degrees, and I'll end up stabbing with my foot and glancing down, but that's rare. With the Blade 2s, it was always a total crapshoot... The pedals would end up in wildly differing orientations every time you disengaged... I almost always had to look down.

Overall, I like the 12s better than the Blade 2s... Really, what's not to like? A similarly giant platform in a much lighter package with better auto-orientation off the disengage, and less expensive to boot... The graphics are a bit loud compared to the Looks, I guess... (Mondrian colored Proteam versions aside)
Oof.

TonyMM

by TonyMM

I choose the Xpresso 15 because of their ceramic bearings.
But yes in terms of pricing, this ceramic upgrade is quite expensive :P

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Just had my first ride on my xpresso 2 pedals (I have a set of zxellium slr ti pedals but why put those on to ride through the winter on crappy roads). Platform feels much more solid and stable than the exustar/look pedals I was using before.
Speedplay is the devil!

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

After the last several years on 89g Exustar pedals, followed by years on DA, I am gonna give Time Xpresso a try - thanks to this enormous thread! Just debating between the 12 and 15 and not sure the big price premium is worth the ~20g savings at $8-9 per gram. Outside of color, is the wt saving due to the ceramic speeds the only difference between the 12 and 15? Anyone tried both yet and can comment? Also, looks like Starter found better pricing than I can find sourcing to the USA. Anyone got a pricing hookup better than wiggle or xxcycle they can point me to?

Happy New Year!!!

TonyMM

by TonyMM

The main difference are the ceramic bearings I think. Comparing the regular and the ceramic shows that the ceramic bearings are much smoother !
I paid 330€ for my Xpeesso 15 in Germany.

Happy new year !!

Marin

by Marin

How much do the 15 weigh? I paid 99€ for my 10 in Germany and they are 189g.

(Edit - had the weight wrong!)
Last edited by Marin on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyMM

by TonyMM

Xpresso 15 = approx. 140 g