Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

metanoize

by metanoize

Feeling exactly like @pritchet74. I think I'm going to wait another six months of other people usage before I jump back to Time. The RXS were great, but had iClic for a month before the pedals and cleats fell apart.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RC856

by RC856

For those that have gone from the RSX to Expresso 12, is there a height difference with the pedal/cleat between the two?

Thanks

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Xpresso have a stack height of 13.5mm. RXS are 12.5mm IIRC.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

lannes

by lannes

I just crashed on my Xpresso 12's, the pedal and leg bore the brunt of the impact, pedal is fine except for scrapes, the edge of aluminium platform plate had to be bent back down into place, other than that pedal is fine still

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I've also been on the Xpresso 12s for a while now. A lot easier engagement than iclic 2, lighter and better looks. No durability issues whatsoever. A must have.

dem

by dem

100 miles on a set of Xpresso12s.. my left knee is a bit creative in its tracking, causing a creaking/rubbing noise and wearing down the alu plate under load (long climbs at high effort.)

Anyone else had this? I'm concerned I'm going to burn right through the pedal or cleat. Never noticed it on the RXS, but maybe the material is just harder. It's already rubbed through much of the graphics on that corner.

Paniagua

by Paniagua

So much hype, doubt, and conjecture at the start of this thread. Someone cross threaded a pedal and blames the pedal for not having wrench flats? others just say they're fragile 'cuz they look "plastic" (although "fragility" is the real concern)....Wow

So far the scariest thing about these pedals (the 12's) was waiting for them to show up from PBK, I have under 1000mi. on 'em and love the pedal.

Easiest click in of any pedal, it's open waiting for your cleat to snap shut. Much Kudos to Time for changing the "click-in" paradigm, from now on all pedals should "close" on your cleat with a spring action like these Expresso's, thanks Time.

No wrench flats is an obvious improvement to me, maybe 'cuz I can use an Allen wrench safely? but really, I like the abscence of flats, most pedals have had an Allen "option" but still include flats, thanks for losing the flats.

Float! thanks again Time, actually it's my knees giving that thanks.

Weight! are you kidding!?!?

Now.......I have seen one break in a crash (much like the broken one earlier in this thread) where the back end broke off from an impact (I was right behind him and it wasn't that big of an impact) So...I can honestly say I'm a little worried about the "fragility" but after 2 crashes for me and no problems I can see the one valid issue/problem is/will be strength over time.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Aero frames bordering on the ridiculous, pedals still using bushing type bearings, wheels using ceramic hybrids bearings where free hubs are left in paleolitic state.....

No comment, :)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

@fdegrove: Dude. Adhere to your last line and don't comment when it adds nothing to the discourse. :)

I've ridden a few WW pedals (Aerolights, Sampson Stratics, Time and Speedplay).
I settled on Speedplay X1s and have ridden them for many years on all of my bikes.

I bought the Xpresso 12s as an experiment to replace old X1s, and I've only done 2 rides on them so far.
One was about 60 miles just testing them out, but today I gave them (and me) the torture test with a 131 mile ride with 10,500 feet of climbing.
I think this ride would have exposed any problems with ergonomics going from X1's to Xpresso 12s, and I had none.

Here are a few of my observations.
Pros:
weight: the weight is no more than the X1s, and the cleats are significantly lighter.
ease of entry: the click in is easy and immediate. At least as good as X1s (unless the pedal is not right side up - see cons).
float: even though the float is not as great as the X1s, it seems to be adequate for my riding needs (so far).
cost: wow! pbk makes it easy to own these when you have a coupon code.
cleats: Low cost, light weight, less slippery than X1s, and pontoons for protection of important parts.

Cons:
Due to the light weight, they don't always hang toe up, ready to clip in.
Potential durability issues (based on previous posts) ???

So far I'm very happy with these pedals (happy enough to have order a second pair).

natiedean24

by natiedean24

rowdysluggins wrote:Cons:
Due to the light weight, they don't always hang toe up, ready to clip in.

This issue will probably get better as the bearings wear in a bit.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I've been using the X-presso 6 for a little over a month now. I was using the I-clic racer, so I'm able to compare models at the same level. I loved the I-clics. I can honestly say I have zero complaints. When the X-presso's came out I was immediately drawn to their looks and the idea of a larger platform with a metal wear plate.
My impressions of them thus far are mixed. On the upside, the larger platform definitely feels more positive. You can feel the difference in terms of energy transfer. I happen to own every type of time since the impacts. Speedplay zero's and Look keo 2 carbons. The new time pedal feels more powerful than any of them. The steel plate is definitely going to improve the wear you'd get with the RXS or I-clic pedals. Plus,, they look amazing. Not that it matters for anything.
The downside. As previously mentioned by everyone else, the lack of weight means you find yourself trying to clic into the underside an awful lot. An issue I've never had with any other time pedal before. The same metal plate that prevents wear, also squeaks like mad. If you rode Time impacts, you'll be quickly reminded. The impacts had a steel wear plate that made some awful noise when a cleat rubbed against it. Regular cleaning helps,, but doesn't eliminate it. And my bearings have shown significant amounts of play in a very short period of time. No other time pedal I've ever used has ever shown bearing wear. Plus, I've yet to hear anyone else complain about this, so I'll chalk it up as an isolated incident.
Every pedal I've used has had its ups and downs. So, I definitely don't expect anything to be perfect.
Personally, judging by everyone elses responses. I think I got really lucky to find a solid pair of I-clics and unlucky to have a less than solid pair of X-presso's. Take the bearing play out of the equation and I'd say that the X-presso's have improved upon the I-clic, albeit only a little bit. BUt in my opinion, the I-clics were pretty damn good to begin with. Certainly (in my opinion) better than my Looks and my speedplays. And on par with my RXS's.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

boolinwall wrote:IThe same metal plate that prevents wear, also squeaks like mad. If you rode Time impacts, you'll be quickly reminded. The impacts had a steel wear plate that made some awful noise when a cleat rubbed against it. Regular cleaning helps,, but doesn't eliminate it.
Have you tried putting heavy oil (such as Phil's tenacious oil) or grease on the steel wear plate?

boolinwall

by boolinwall

No. Simply due to the fact that any lubricant would draw dust and cause even more wear on the cleats than the plate was designed to save in the first place.

dem

by dem

I used a pencil to scribble graphite on where it wears, that shut it up.. put I only got another 100 miles in before tweaking my knee.. so.. not sure how long it holds up.

Also I noticed there's a lot of "wobble" from the bearing/shaft - that doesn't seem right. Not sure if there's a way to tighten it up, or I got a bad batch of 12's.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've got the 12s and after 400 or 500 hundred miles, no squeaks yet. To solve the squeak problem, I'd probably try a dry lube like Finish-Line Wax or DuPont Chain Saver, on both the pedal and mating cleat surfaces. Speed-play actually recommends that as part of normal maintenance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com