Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bullet

by Bullet

has anyone tuned their Time iclic cleat hardware with titanium parts? chasing bolts shouldnt be too hard (toronto cycles sells M5 x 8.5mm shallow head black titanium bolts with 10.5mm diameter head) but im wondering about the spacer for the front bolt, it appears to have a slight curve to its profile so its sort of like a spring washer, anyone sourced some of these in titanium?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

csf

by csf

I have Xpresso 12TI for almost one year now and really like +/- 5 space, ok maybe strange feeling from beginning as I have before Dura Ace but after 3-4 rides feeling was perfect again- no complains so far

Bullet

by Bullet

Well I decided to do a bit of a craft project and make my own titanium washers, I ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm thick titanium plate and set to work cutting it to size, routing it and rolling a curve into it. The end result was a 3.8 gram saving.

Total savings for me including the titanium bolts was 9.4 grams

Marin

by Marin

Awesome project! =0

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Bullet wrote:Well I decided to do a bit of a craft project and make my own titanium washers, I ordered a small sheet of 1.5mm thick titanium plate and set to work cutting it to size, routing it and rolling a curve into it. The end result was a 3.8 gram saving.

Total savings for me including the titanium bolts was 9.4 grams

Nice work. How tricky is it working titanium?

Bullet

by Bullet

Surprisingly it was quite easy to work with, not too different to steel and definitely softer than stainless steel

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Bullet wrote:Surprisingly it was quite easy to work with, not too different to steel and definitely softer than stainless steel

Thanks for the info. Would titanium bolts work for the cleats?

Bullet

by Bullet

yes they certainly do, toronto cycles sells M5 x 8.5mm shallow head black titanium bolts with 10.5mm diameter head which will do the trick

apctjb

by apctjb

I have owned 2 pairs of Xpresso Xpro 12 pedals. As others have reported developed a clicking noise after just a couple of rides. Intermittent at first, primarily when climbing and progressively loader and more regular with time. Switching to new cleats made no difference. Switching to other brand pedals and the clicking goes away so I know its the pedal.

Has anyone figured out a fix for the clicking noise. Love the weight of these pedals but the clicking noise is annoying, especially after paying so much $$$

cerro

by cerro

Don't know if it's been up before. But is it possible to change axles from a Iclic2 to Xpresso? Got a old set of worn out Iclics and a new set of cheap Xpresso.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I got washer integrated m5 titanium bolts that you cant pull a cleat through like the original bolts.

Also regular round titanium washers can be bought and squared with a grinder.

tri4autism

by tri4autism

Has anyone managed to get the bearing on the inner part of the pedal off? I believe the bearing is a 6801.

Anyway I removed the snap ring in front of it and it isn't budging. With the plastic threaded part behind it, applying force to the rear to coax it off isn't that easy.

TIA and borrowing a pic from another thread..

mag

by mag

Yes I did that several times. It isn't that hard. The hardest part for me was to remove the lock ring which still wanted to pop back... :-D Then I used a large and long hex socket (size around 21-24 if I remember - I brought the pedal to a hobby shop and found the best matching one), put a piece of cloth between the socket and that plastic cover and hammered it out. No damage on the plastic.

Similarly I pushed it back in - just used a smaller hex socket (ideally it should touch the inner ring only). It was rather some special one for some car part AFAIK - but generally anything I found suitable in the shop.
Last edited by mag on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipaul

by ipaul

I did something similar. Just laid the straddled the cap between a vice jaw opening and tapped on the end of the axle to move the bearing, washer and cap off.
:P

KCookie

by KCookie

The hardest part for me was removing the split ring. What a nightmare.
Once removed i used a small piece of plastic pipe and then a slight tap with a hammer to release the bearing.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com