Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mydgspot

by mydgspot

I have used the time expresso for about 2 years I have used them on some 7 day rides without the use of cleat covers and have beat the crap out of them if you wear the front of the cleat off they will not work you won't be able to clip in, so if you do these kind of rides bring extras or covers, I was tempted to switch pedals and tried some of the others recently but these pedals are the only ones my knee's get along with, so hopefully they come out with some cleat covers that are made specifcally for xpresso not a hybrid fit all.

apotekar

by apotekar

Hello!

I have managed to break the pedal body on my xpresso 4 today after roughly 8Kkm. Offcourse I am not happy about it but I am very fond of the i-clic system and now I am not sure if I should give them another try or go to the speedplay zero instead. I have been looking at the Mavic zxellium SLR (which I guess is the same as Time xpresso 10) so what do you guys think, is the carbon body of SLR/10 stronger/more durable than the composite body of the 4 I just broken??? I really would`t like to be stuck on the road 50km form home again. ;)

And I am not that heavy about +/-80kg

Thanks for your thoughts guys

Aleksander

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

mydgspot wrote:I have used the time expresso for about 2 years I have used them on some 7 day rides without the use of cleat covers and have beat the crap out of them if you wear the front of the cleat off they will not work you won't be able to clip in, so if you do these kind of rides bring extras or covers, I was tempted to switch pedals and tried some of the others recently but these pedals are the only ones my knee's get along with, so hopefully they come out with some cleat covers that are made specifcally for xpresso not a hybrid fit all.

Cleat Grips For Time ICLIC
http://store.cleatskins.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TI-PBS-Grips

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

Many people state that these pedals are very good for the knees. What is it about them that protect the knees? Is the float with very little resistance or is it none-centered like Speedplay?

kenmical

by kenmical

My xpresso6 pedals are goner. The spindle bent and there is play when I shook it with my hand. Lasted 6 months. Good pedal but it did not last as long as many say nor I hoped. :(

Big Mig

by Big Mig

I think ive used more than 10 TIME pedals already on my different bikes. Tried speedplays inbetween but went back to TIME.

Some lasted a few months (TIME USA refurbished 2 of my pedals ) but my latest ones (mavic xpressos) are still on my bike after close to 2 years of usage. they have been pretty beat up but still working well.

Theres always a bad egg in the production line. Luckily my new ones were good eggs ;) i always change my cleats regularly though...

TonyM

by TonyM

Just bought a set of Xpresso 2 (winter bike) and a set of Xpresso 15 (summer bike)
The Xpresso 2 showed a bearing play after only 500 km :unbelievable:
I hope that the Xpresso 15 will not have this also .... :evil:

apotekar

by apotekar

apotekar wrote:Hello!

I have managed to break the pedal body on my xpresso 4 today after roughly 8Kkm. Offcourse I am not happy about it but I am very fond of the i-clic system and now I am not sure if I should give them another try or go to the speedplay zero instead. I have been looking at the Mavic zxellium SLR (which I guess is the same as Time xpresso 10) so what do you guys think, is the carbon body of SLR/10 stronger/more durable than the composite body of the 4 I just broken??? I really would`t like to be stuck on the road 50km form home again. ;)

And I am not that heavy about +/-80kg

Thanks for your thoughts guys

Aleksander

follow up...
first a picture of broken pedal...
as I mentioned before I really liked them very much so I did buy a pair of Xpresso 10... and they are great... so far... :lol: but I am kinda surprised how much firmer they hold my foot, before the xpresso4 broke there was a lot of angular float during pedal stroke, could it be that the cleats were calling for replacement?

btw - I just recieved replacement Xpresso 4 after warranty claim at planet-x-bikes... so now I have a spare xpresso4 if I brake them 10s ... :D

Cheers, A.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Big Mig wrote:...Some lasted a few months (TIME USA refurbished 2 of my pedals ) but my latest ones (mavic xpressos) are still on my bike after close to 2 years of usage. they have been pretty beat up but still working well...

I've suffered with bearing issues on both the earlier I-Clic and now the Xpresso pedals, do you think the Mavic versions might have better bearings?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Use Xpresso 10 wich works great. Though, i admit i am curious to test SP Pavé on my other bike. Anyone that has used Pavé or maybe Zero line?
I looked at Coombe Millennium 2, but it seems a very limited floay on these...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Rick

by Rick

apotekar: When you broke the pedal body, how did that happen ? Normal riding or some sort of impact incident ?
Anyone else who has broken an xpresso, please state how it happens. Thanks.

apotekar

by apotekar

Rick wrote:apotekar: When you broke the pedal body, how did that happen ? Normal riding or some sort of impact incident ?

I think it was normal riding, but then again couple of days earlier (before I broke the pedal) I did run into a huge "hole" on the road at high speed (>40km/h) and Berk saddle got "unglued" from the rails at the front of the saddle from the impact, so it could be, the pedal sustained some damage at that point too?!?

cheers, A.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

apotekar wrote:
Rick wrote:apotekar: When you broke the pedal body, how did that happen ? Normal riding or some sort of impact incident ?

I think it was normal riding, but then again couple of days earlier (before I broke the pedal) I did run into a huge "hole" on the road at high speed (>40km/h) and Berk saddle got "unglued" from the rails at the front of the saddle from the impact, so it could be, the pedal sustained some damage at that point too?!?

cheers, A.

Unless your pedal hit the ground or sustained its own direct impact, running through a pothole should not break a pedal. A wheel perhaps but a pedal? Not a chance.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

On another site someone posted that he takes his Xpressos apart to change the bearings. So I thought I'd have a go, but with a set of Iclic 2s sitting in my garage, a sort of earlier version of the Xpresso. Using a vice and molewrench it took about a minute to unscrew the black bearing cover with the notches on it, and the whole pedal came apart. The bearing is held on the axle with a small circlip, after some messing about (I don't have a circlip tool) I was able to remove it. Using the vice I carefully tapped the axle and the cartridge was freed. The bearing has Time and 61003213 written on it, and it measures 12 x 21 x 5, based on the measurements it looks like this is a readily available bearing. Enduro make this size with different levels of seals. The axle was in clean condition with no rust, it didn't look as if there had ever been much grease in the pedal. I try the same with my Xpresso pedals where one of the bearings is on the way out.

Has anyone else tried the above procedure, and if so what bearings did you use?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Some one who knows for sure, is Mavic Zxellium exactly same as Time Xpresso?
To me it seems they are same pedals with different prints?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com