HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time xpresso pedals
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 pm 

I've been using the X-presso 6 for a little over a month now. I was using the I-clic racer, so I'm able to compare models at the same level. I loved the I-clics. I can honestly say I have zero complaints. When the X-presso's came out I was immediately drawn to their looks and the idea of a larger platform with a metal wear plate.
My impressions of them thus far are mixed. On the upside, the larger platform definitely feels more positive. You can feel the difference in terms of energy transfer. I happen to own every type of time since the impacts. Speedplay zero's and Look keo 2 carbons. The new time pedal feels more powerful than any of them. The steel plate is definitely going to improve the wear you'd get with the RXS or I-clic pedals. Plus,, they look amazing. Not that it matters for anything.
The downside. As previously mentioned by everyone else, the lack of weight means you find yourself trying to clic into the underside an awful lot. An issue I've never had with any other time pedal before. The same metal plate that prevents wear, also squeaks like mad. If you rode Time impacts, you'll be quickly reminded. The impacts had a steel wear plate that made some awful noise when a cleat rubbed against it. Regular cleaning helps,, but doesn't eliminate it. And my bearings have shown significant amounts of play in a very short period of time. No other time pedal I've ever used has ever shown bearing wear. Plus, I've yet to hear anyone else complain about this, so I'll chalk it up as an isolated incident.
Every pedal I've used has had its ups and downs. So, I definitely don't expect anything to be perfect.
Personally, judging by everyone elses responses. I think I got really lucky to find a solid pair of I-clics and unlucky to have a less than solid pair of X-presso's. Take the bearing play out of the equation and I'd say that the X-presso's have improved upon the I-clic, albeit only a little bit. BUt in my opinion, the I-clics were pretty damn good to begin with. Certainly (in my opinion) better than my Looks and my speedplays. And on par with my RXS's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
boolinwall wrote:
IThe same metal plate that prevents wear, also squeaks like mad. If you rode Time impacts, you'll be quickly reminded. The impacts had a steel wear plate that made some awful noise when a cleat rubbed against it. Regular cleaning helps,, but doesn't eliminate it.
Have you tried putting heavy oil (such as Phil's tenacious oil) or grease on the steel wear plate?

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 pm 
  • 15.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 115 components by TIME

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:39 pm 

No. Simply due to the fact that any lubricant would draw dust and cause even more wear on the cleats than the plate was designed to save in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:31 am 

I used a pencil to scribble graphite on where it wears, that shut it up.. put I only got another 100 miles in before tweaking my knee.. so.. not sure how long it holds up.

Also I noticed there's a lot of "wobble" from the bearing/shaft - that doesn't seem right. Not sure if there's a way to tighten it up, or I got a bad batch of 12's.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:45 am 

I've got the 12s and after 400 or 500 hundred miles, no squeaks yet. To solve the squeak problem, I'd probably try a dry lube like Finish-Line Wax or DuPont Chain Saver, on both the pedal and mating cleat surfaces. Speed-play actually recommends that as part of normal maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:51 am 

Wobbly likely best describes the play I have in mine as well. Bearings have never been an issue with Time pedals before. If anything, they've always had the best bearings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 am 

Can anyone advise as to what type of bearings are in the pedals or which models uses bushes? Can't see anything on their website about it...

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

AFAIK they all use one industrial bearing at the crank's end (6(1)801 RS2) and a bushing at the tip of the axle.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm 

rowdysluggins wrote:
I've got the 12s and after 400 or 500 hundred miles, no squeaks yet. To solve the squeak problem, I'd probably try a dry lube like Finish-Line Wax or DuPont Chain Saver, on both the pedal and mating cleat surfaces. Speed-play actually recommends that as part of normal maintenance.

I wonder if a good high polishing would solve the problem without the addition of a lube product that could be messy and/or attract dirt? That's what I'd try first - probably a good metal polish like made for chrome or Brasso or something similar (I've got several versions of this sort of stuff in the "polish" box in the garage), and polish any plastic contact points with rubbing compound or some version of a plastic polish. I could imagine that 2 minutes of rubbing with a fine abrasive high gloss polish would get rid of the squeaks with maybe an occasional touch up. I would think that any lube product might have to be added fairly frequently, where polishing, if it worked, would be touched up every few hundred miles or so.

Anyway, I'm interested in the topic. I just put a second road bike into service and needed a second set of road pedals. I have been riding RXS pedals for several years and have been 100% satisfied (actually one chipped (minor, still functional) when 3 years old and TimeUSA replaced it free. I was interested in trying a set of IClics or Xpresso's on the new bike, but of course was stopped by cleat incompatibility. That to me is a MAJOR error by Time - not making all of their road pedal iterations compatible.

Instead of buying two new sets of pedals, I simply bought another pair of RXS - which again, are great pedals. I just wanted to try something new, but do require to use the same cleats for both. When the RXS cleats wear out (man, these things are great for wear!), I think I'll sell both pair and buy a couple pair of Xpresso. Life's too short not to try new things!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 pm 

Considering how cheap you can get xpresso's online, it might be worthwhile. I may try your polish idea. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:14 am 

Ive finally worn out a pair of my old RXS carbons..the pedals have actually worn down on the sides after about eight years but I'm still not convinced to go with the Xpresso's due to the bearing play I keep hearing about...I still have RXS Ti's on my race bikes that are fine...

Can anyone give a detailed head to head comparison between the RXS & the Xpresso?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 am 

THe xpresso's are easier to engage. That's pretty much the only improvement. And they weigh less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm 

I'm interested in these but my exustar pedals are still going strong. I think I'll wait at least until next year and see how these hold up over a longer period. I loved the rxs pedals I had but one of the ti pedals had developed a clicking after 2 years and it turned out to be the bearing. iclics were just a disaster so I'll wait it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Shop Owner

I tried my Time X-presso 12 this weekend for the 1st time, I like them a lot, easy entry, & solid feel when clipped in :thumbup:

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
  • 15.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 115 components by TIME

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 am 

Ordered a pair of Xpresso 6's so I look forward to see how they compare to my RXS's...

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next