Going electronic on a budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

billstr

by billstr

I recently put together a Campagnolo EPS bike using mostly used components and documented the research that went into the build/buy decision and assembly process into this site: https://sites.google.com/site/di2epsbuybuildguide/

I thought this might be useful for anyone who is considering a switch to electronic shifting, but is wary of the high prices associated with new Di2 and EPS bikes.

During the build, I made extensive use of information on this forum. It was instrumental in helping me figure out if UT cranks would work with a certain specialized OSBB frameset and also quite helpful at various stages during the EPS installation and assembly. So, thanks for everything and I'll do my best to stick around for a while and answer questions in other threads that relate to EPS or general bike assembly.

Washdogg

by Washdogg

Thanks - that was an interesting read. Still expensive over-all compared to a mechanical shifting bike though!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

Only here could $6000 qualify as a budget build.

billstr

by billstr

Yeah, $3k for a campagnolo groupset is expensive, no matter which way you slice it. They sell upgrade kits for Shimano and Campagnolo riders which take the price down to $2k for Record EPS. Both Di2 and EPS can be fitted onto an existing frame, via copious quantities of wire ties. I was in a position where I wanted to sell two existing bikes in exchange for a clean slate on one, but most riders can make the jump to electronic without that drastic of a change.