Exogram with campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

I am putting together a team CAAD10 with campagnolo and don't want to venture down the blind alley that is campagnolo on a BB30 set-up so have an Exogram ready to go in. Anyone using this combination, or with Shimano for that matter. Assuming it should work ok and teeth profiling etc. won't create any issues?

All 10spd.

Purists - don't worry, it will be de-badged.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Hollowgram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

wasabi1 wrote:Hollowgram.

I thought about it and discounted it. The standard Hollowgram is heavier, and the SiSL spiderrings is IMO ugly. It's also literally more than twice the price of the Exogram, which from what I've read, is about the best groupset crank on the market right now.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

It'll be fine. I've been riding a Rival crankset on my CAAD5 hack for many miles with old Veloce 10s. Damn, it even has a tiagra front mech. Works great.

bricky21

by bricky21

Not exactly what you're asking about, but just an fyi. Praxis have an awesome BB30 adapter that would allow you to screw in the standard Campagnolo cups.
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion

neeb

by neeb

Personally I've had no problems at all running a SR crank on a BB30 frame with the appropriate Campagnolo adaptor cups. They're well stuck in with red loctite. Not convinced by the whole BB30 / oversize bearing thing, any flex is in the frame and wheels IMO. Just a way for the manufacturers to save money by not having to thread the BB and then marketing it as a "feature"...

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

bricky21 wrote:Not exactly what you're asking about, but just an fyi. Praxis have an awesome BB30 adapter that would allow you to screw in the standard Campagnolo cups.
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That adapter steps the ID down to 24mm. It doesn't allow any threaded cups to go in. Unless they are making a new adapter that I'm not seeing on your link.

bricky21

by bricky21

Yep, you're right. I always just assumed it worked for Campagnolo since they specifically picture the Ultra Torque adaptors on their site
Image If you read the product notes it does say not compatible with Ultra Torque.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You do realize "they" may burn you at the stake for the thread title alone, don't you?

sawyer

by sawyer

thanks a lot for all the replies chaps.

@imaking ... yes, that is a worry :wink: It will be de-badged and have some green Cannondale decals on with clearcoat. Should look sweet.

neeb -- I agree with you re. oversized bbs. My canyon slx has standard outboard bb and seemed stiff enough for griepel. I had a TCR advanced with bb86 and the campagnolo crank creaked away. also bb30 with exogram is far lighter even than super record with Ti axle.

neeb

by neeb

sawyer wrote:neeb -- I agree with you re. oversized bbs. My canyon slx has standard outboard bb and seemed stiff enough for griepel. I had a TCR advanced with bb86 and the campagnolo crank creaked away. also bb30 with exogram is far lighter even than super record with Ti axle.

I think it's just luck whether the tolerances of the particular BB30 frame work well with the Campagnolo press fit cups or not, I guess I've been fortunate.

Are you sure about the weight though? I thought both cranksets were about 585g? The Campagnolo cups are about 30g. Does the exogram weight include the bearings?

frohrider

by frohrider

I run Campa SR on my Caad10 and a Red Exogram with Ultegra on my CaadX. The Road setup is flawless - stiff, no creaking or other noise comming from the BB area.

The Exogram works well too.. mine is 479.5gr (46t/34t - 110mm, 177.5 arms) so it is quite a bit lighter than a Campa setup even considering the ring weight differences. I had to add a 1mm shim below the hidden bolt, because I run a different outer ring. I you keep the stiff (but a little heavy - my 50t was 123gr. if I remember correctly) factory rings you don't have to do that.

Caad10 [6.5kg/14.5lbs]
CaadX [8.1kg/18.0lbs]
Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

sawyer

by sawyer

neeb wrote:
sawyer wrote:neeb -- I agree with you re. oversized bbs. My canyon slx has standard outboard bb and seemed stiff enough for griepel. I had a TCR advanced with bb86 and the campagnolo crank creaked away. also bb30 with exogram is far lighter even than super record with Ti axle.

I think it's just luck whether the tolerances of the particular BB30 frame work well with the Campagnolo press fit cups or not, I guess I've been fortunate.

Are you sure about the weight though? I thought both cranksets were about 585g? The Campagnolo cups are about 30g. Does the exogram weight include the bearings?

My exogram is 523g (without bearings). I have the bearings but haven't weighed them ... they aren't all that heavy though.

UT Ti is 585g plus 29g for the cups.

In reality if I was going Campagnolo I would use the existing Super Record crankset I have, which is non-TI version, and therefore another 50g to add to the above.

The SRAM crank is WW alright.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com