2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 - S-W vs. Pro vs. Expert???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr. Boots

by Mr. Boots

Does anybody know the weight difference between the Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-works, Pro and Expert? I'm trying to figure out what you get for your money besides different paint jobs...

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Weight and prestige.
They are all great frames.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

Whatever you choose will be a lovely bike. I have the expert in the roubaix and sworks in the tarmac.

What i would say is, before you buy anything wait for the new 2013 gear to be displayed, there'll probably be a project black SL5 with discs looming in the classics providing UCI approval is granted, if this is the case, everything you've mentioned will be out dated and as such, you've got more bang for buck!! Generally manufacturers of the larger scale remove the paint from the top end frames and re-paint the outgoing top end models to help clear their losses, the same is probable for speccy with the s-works/pro models?

Anyway, give it time. The spring classics are less than a few months off now!

mec287

by mec287

It's also well worth looking at just the frame and then building up yourself. The S-works SL4 frame is brilliant (I have a complete 2012 bike) but Specialized do insist on putting Roval wheels on their complete bikes and you can do better with your money.
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UphillRage

by UphillRage

I believe expert and pro is the same frame,fact 10r carbon,they are only named differently because the are equiped with more or less expensive gear.
And stay away from roval,they are crappy especially their rims.

js

by js

I haven't ever been able to weigh them apples to apples due to the paint jobs, but based on previous experience with the SL3 frames (SW vs Pro) and the weights of the SW SL4 (matte black) that I've been riding versus the Pro SL4 (white gloss), I'd guess that the bare frame weight difference is around 75-90g.

I also remember seeing that stiffness between the two frames is almost equal, it's just that the SW has greater stiffness to weight ratios, so it gets listed as the stiffest frame.

S-Works might have it on prestige and maybe resale value, but I suppose that depends on how much you need to pay for that difference up front.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

from what I've heard and seen there is typically about 100g difference between the sworks and the pro level frames, due to the difference in the 10r to 11r carbons. I doubt most, if any, would be able to notice a difference, all things equal. Typically, as you go up the range you get better groupsets and nicer components, but if those components aren't necessarily what you want to run or need, then maybe it isn't for you. Also, FWIW, I'm not sure why everyone is hating on the Roval wheels so much, my tarmac came with the fusee sl25's and I've used them for daily training wheels for 3 years without any problems. I've only had to true them once, they are reasonably light for a training clincher at 1550 or whatever grams, and the stifneess seems plenty fine for a training set of wheels (I'm about 140lbs). I've also had teammates that weight 40lbs more than me use them for 2+ years without any issues.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Just one quick point about Roval wheels -- I've been using their inexpensive 'cross wheelset for training and winter riding on the road and they've been relatively bombproof, staying true and round and only requiring one bearing service in two years.

Oh, to keep it WW: they're the _lighter_ 'cross wheels.

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

Pro comes with an alu bb shell vs carbon on s-works.

I have a pro, great frame at half s-works price.

darwinx

by darwinx

Also not a fan of the Roval wheels at all. I'm considering an SL 4 and would replace the wheels immediately. Maybe its because I'm a big guy but they feel soft to me.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The S-Works line uses the 11r carbon while the Pro uses the 10r. I have been told the weight difference is about 150g.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

topflightpro wrote:The S-Works line uses the 11r carbon while the Pro uses the 10r. I have been told the weight difference is about 150g.

I've been told to tell you to pay me a million dollars into my account by the wife... but don't believe everything she says! :D

It's 100g according to Bikerumor when Speccy first launched the 2013 range:

Pictures of frames being digitally weighed here:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/20/201 ... l-weights/

Chris_W

by Chris_W

I work in a Specialized shop, and have weighed a few framesets to make this comparison on different models. I agree that the S-Works vs. Pro difference is always about 100 grams, and so is not worth the extra cost. With the Pro you get a standard BB30 bottom bracket, with the S-Works you get the Specialized design that is a bit narrower and broader, so first needs the delrin cups to be inserted before the BB30 bearings - the system works fine but it means that you can't use certain BB adaptors with the S-Works, so it is slightly less versatile. Personally, I ride a Tarmac SL4 Pro and am very happy with it.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

cllrhodgen wrote:I've been told to tell you to pay me a million dollars into my account by the wife... but don't believe everything she says! :D

It's 100g according to Bikerumor when Speccy first launched the 2013 range:

Pictures of frames being digitally weighed here:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/20/201 ... l-weights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ha ha. That is true. I guess I should have mentioned that I was told 150 grams by Specialized for the 2011 lineup and things could be different now, or Spec. could have been off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com