Cracked AX Lightness Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Hit a bump on the road yesterday -- a gap on the pavement transitioning from smooth asphalt to a concrete overpass section. The impact resulted in a crack on my AX Lightness stem. Luckily, the stem still held the bar in place and did not cause an accident. It was an older model -- not the latest version of the Zeus.

A new AX stem will realistically take a couple of months to obtain (door to door from Germany to the U.S.). Can anyone recommend an alternative lightweight stem? I was thinking the Extralite Road UL3 stem -- it's not carbon but is only a few grams heavier than the AX and Fairwheel has them in stock. It also has a fully detachable clamp on the front so I won't have to remove the shifters in order to install the bar. Need one with a 26mm clamping diameter.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thx.
Last edited by audiophilitis on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Syntace F99 with Ti bolt upgrade? Depends what size you need but should be in mid 90g range. Plus will spend <$90 for the whole thing.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Go for the extralite

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Definitely go for the Extralite. Only a few grams more and they can really take a beating! I have them on all my bikes. Never had a problem.

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Yep....i would definitely go for the Extralite. I've had my share of problems with the older Zeus stem both road and MTB version and it took 2 months if not more to get a replacement from AX.

kac

by kac

Another vote for Extralite. Zero problems but be alert to torque specs: they differed (not sure about present status) between printed instructions and information direct from company.

konky

by konky

My Zeus cracked as well and I replaced it with an Extralite. 3g heavier and no slippage problems like I had with my Zeus. I agree Extralite is definitely the best alternative. It's a beautiful looking bit of kit too.

serbelo

by serbelo

Just wondering if the stem cracked in the body or at the head where you connect the handlebar?

If it's just the head you could probably have a bar stem combo done by a qualified maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Thanks for all the feedback. I will go with the Extralite as suggested by the vast majority.

Serbelo, the crack developed around the section that clamps the bar -- near the location of the bolts. They look like stress cracks and are on both sides. I will retire this stem and chuck it up to cost of doing business. There are downsides to building an uber lightweight bike and this is one of them -- but I still think the advantages far outweigh the few disadvantages.

I'm just very thankful that this did not result in a crash as I would have taken down at least 5 other riders.

Ride safe everyone.

mythical

by mythical

Do you have a photo of the cracks? I'm interested in a visual. Thanks.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Not on your 'want-list' but you may also want to consider the new Deda SuperLeggero stem. I have one and have given it a beating with no complaints.

It is also in the 'very light' range of stems, and once you scratch off the Italian flag it looks great.

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

audiophilitis wrote:Hit a bump on the road yesterday -- a gap on the pavement transitioning from smooth asphalt to a concrete overpass section. The impact resulted in a crack on my AX Lightness stem. Luckily, the stem still held the bar in place and did not cause an accident. It was an older model -- not the latest version of the Zeus.

A new AX stem will realistically take a couple of months to obtain (door to door from Germany to the U.S.). Can anyone recommend an alternative lightweight stem? I was thinking the Extralite Road UL3 stem -- it's not carbon but is only a few grams heavier than the AX and Fairwheel has them in stock. It also has a fully detachable clamp on the front so I won't have to remove the shifters in order to install the bar. Need one with a 26mm clamping diameter.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thx.

Dear Audiophilitis, i feel sorry for the crack in your stem. You said, it would be a earlier version ? May i ask you to send me a picture of the crack with infos about its age ? We might be able to help you. My adress is: axel.schnura@ax-lightness.de

Thank you !

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Thank you for your post, Axel. I will snap some photos and email themto you directly.

monchito

by monchito

Extralite.

Carbon stems still scares me :scared: :scared: :scared:

(and still don´t save grams enough for that prices)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tyro13

by tyro13

Last year i ride the combo ax lightness roadbar with the Zeus stem. I mount it with carbon pasta...but every time there was a bad road (i life in Belgium) like kobbelstones it give a hard "crack" and the roadbar turn down! Not happy when you pay more than 1000euro for that combo! I ride now a syntace f99 with Ti bolts without issues and the f99 is a fraction of the price of a zeus stem!
And to test the new stem "rigid" i won't pay again almost 600euro...also it is oversized and i like the shape of my ax4000 wich is diam 26!