Buying a CAAD 10 frame/fork?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jjones

by jjones

I've been looking for a lightly used 58cm CAAD 10 frame/fork on the normal classifieds sites to no avail. I figure it makes sense to consider a new one. I had heard different reports regarding the availability of the frame from a dealer (I'll try to check with dealer this week) so thought I ask here. Seems from reading on here that frames are available in 2013 and color will depend on what's currently available from Cannondale? Anyone confirm this? I really want anodized black/black to match my Z5sl but not sure that will happen. This time of year would I be able to get a 2012 or would it be 2013 (frame only). I've thought of buying a 105/rival bike and selling off but hope to find a frame first and not deal with selling off parts...of course the cost of a frame may be such that I'd be better off buying a bike and parting out?

Thanks,
JJ

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I asked a dealer about this yesterday and they said buying a frameset from cannondale directly was extremely unlikely and they were unwilling to break down a bike to sell the frame (which would be $1000-1200 anyway).

At that price, to me, it defeats the purpose of "saving money by going with aluminum" that people shove down your throat when considering the CAAD.

With that in mind, I went and rode a new caad10 and '13 Specialized Allez Race yesterday in hopes that the S was comparable or better. If you're looking for quick handling and BB stiffness, take a look at the Allez (new frameset retails $800-880).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HumanReason

by HumanReason

At this point in the year there are no 2012 CAAD10s left to be ordered from Cannondale. As for frames they are only really ever available when there are production overruns of frames for complete bikes which lends to the trouble of getting just a frame. Its not on just the CAAD10s either this holds true for many of Cannondale's bikes.

dcaspira

by dcaspira

My understanding is April is the date to pencil in -

Anders3404

by Anders3404

It's available from TheBikeShop in Germany. http://www.thebikeshop.de/epages/623034 ... Rahmensets

I asked them last week and they will available by end of february. They actually offered to take apart a CAAD10 for €50 and just sell the frame. But send them an email - they will make you a good offer.

Ryan94

by Ryan94

Go ride a Giant TCR SL alloy. It blows the caad 10 out of the water in stiffness and come in 200g lighter.

Felt FA frame is a good frame as well however it is a bit heavier

djconnel

by djconnel

From weights I've seen here, the Giant is no lighter than the CAAD-10. The CAAD-10 is around 1100 grams for small frames. That's lighter than Pinarello carbon frames. On stiffness, I've never seen anyone here say the CAAD wasn't stiff enough. Certainly at the same weight it will be very hard to beat.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Ryan94 wrote:It blows the caad 10 out of the water in stiffness

o rly

to the OP , i've heard the same about framesets from local dealers here too. This is the main reason why i just went the used frameset route as i inquired about getting my crashed frame warrantied replaced, but the wait time for a frameset in 2013 is too long (for me)....

thechemist

by thechemist

nathanong87 wrote:

o rly

to the OP , i've heard the same about framesets from local dealers here too. This is the main reason why i just went the used frameset route as i inquired about getting my crashed frame warrantied replaced, but the wait time for a frameset in 2013 is too long (for me)....

With the crash replacement, what kind of wait time were you looking at?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm not a lightweight and I have no idea why you'd need an alloy frame to be stiffer than the CAAD10 or even the new Allez. I don't believe there's a point in arguing stiffness between the two (nor the new Giant). Go with what you like, what's available, and what fits your budget.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

From what I have read the wait time on warranty replacement varies due to production scheduling. When they make bikes they make batches of sizes, models, colors, etc. When a warranty comes in, if they don't have a replacement in stock then you will have to wait for the next production cycle for that specific size, color, model. I have heard of people getting them fairly quick and others waiting close to 6 months. It is up to the gods of luck.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

thechemist wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:

o rly

With the crash replacement, what kind of wait time were you looking at?

i asked back in november and was quoted feb/march.... but i needed a bike in november...

prebsy

by prebsy

If you really want the CAAD10 frameset you really have to get it used or sell the parts off a new complete bike. I tried getting just a frameset and it seems that 1100 is about the price, IF you can get one.
If you are buying a complete bike the dealer is also likely to cut you a deal which won't happen on a frameset that they have to bend over backwards just to get for you. If you could get a dealer to knock a couple hundred off a 105 or rival build I think you could make out alright.
-EP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I bought a CAAD9 3 (got a good deal from a dealer too) and sold the parts to get the frame and it went well. I moved my DurAce parts and the Cannondale fork made by Time to the frame and sold everything else on ebay. After paying all the ebay fees, I think the frame cost around $600-800.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.