KCNC Ti Skewers...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Is there a trick to installing and releasing KCNC Ti Skewers?

Whenever I have to remove them, I find myself having to fiddle with them to get them just right.
Personally, I suspect I may be over-tightening them.

I'm thinking about going back to the OEM 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite Skewers (130g) which
never gave me any problems. Easy on/easy off. And, I never felt unsafe with them ever.
Thing is, I've lost one of the OEM Skewers so I'd probably have to get another set which
I'll be totally fine with for the sense of security they provide along with the ease of use.
It would slab 85g "more" back on my bike, but it's one area where I don't feel like taking chances.

Before I get out of the KCNC Ti's, I want to be sure that their difficulty in installing isn't "user error".

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Never had a problem with my KCNC skewers at all. They do seem to need a little more effort to get them tight, but other than that no issues at all. I blame the effort thing on a shorter lever, but again it was never a big deal for me. They work great irregardless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

You just have to face the simple fact, that light weight skewers are a whole different world compared to the Mavic/Campagnolo/Shimano units... You save some weight, no scratch that, you SAVE A LOT OF WEIGHT with these flimsy skewers like KCNC, Tune, New Ultimate, and so forth.

But don't expect that you can just turn the knob 'til it feels somewhere close to right and then close the lever with a secure and confirming ´click´ noise and have a bullet proof setup. You have to fiddle the knob to absolute perfection, you have to align the lever perfectly with the concave plastic part and I also find that with new light weight skewers like these, it's best to let them sit overnight when brand new and then take them off and install them again. It seems to do away with some of that inital flimsy-ness as the concave plastic part molds in a little better with the lever.

They'll feel a little sturdier than when brand new, but there still won't be any ´click´ noise to confirm they're tight enough and you'll still have to align everything to absolute perfection.

I undo my MTB wheels often, and stick to Mavic BX601 there. On the road bike, not so much, so the weight saving is worth the extra hazzle of setting up the skewers to perfection each time for the somewhat massive weight savings.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Thanks guys.

I'm going to give the KCNC a hundred miles to get right.
If they don't, I'm just going to return to the Mavic skewers.
News flash for anyone who's actually interested in this:

BTW, I weighed my Ksyrium Elite set and the OEM Mavic CXP22 skewers.
The Elite set: 130g
The CXP22 set: 119g
But, I really prefer the Elite's closing system.

Rippin

by Rippin

Actually, KCNC Ti skewers are one of the better light weight skewers out there because they use a non-deforming metal/brass concave washer, which means better longevity. Skewers that use plastic washers will deform and can crack (the plastic washer, that is). As mentioned, it takes a few more seconds to set up and requires a bit more force to secure, but I haven't had a wheel problem once on.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Rippin wrote:Actually, KCNC Ti skewers are one of the better light weight skewers out there because they use a non-deforming metal/brass concave washer, which means better longevity. Skewers that use plastic washers will deform and can crack (the plastic washer, that is). As mentioned, it takes a few more seconds to set up and requires a bit more force to secure, but I haven't had a wheel problem once on.

I guess I have a mental struggle more than anything in having to put so much more force into securing it.
Of all the lightweight clones, I went with KCNC precisely because they had a good rep.

artray

by artray

I have used kcnc skewers for over 3 years and no issues at all. I am switching to tune skewers because they are a lot lighter and I like blinging up my bike.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have experience with tune AC16/17, edge (kcnc clone without washer), newer tune versions, and token (with brass washer). Okay, they are sometimes fiddly to set up, but they have never let me down. Shimano, sram and campagnolo skewers are fire and forget things. Still there are people that clamp those down as tight as they can...

Sent from my HTC.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

With my KCNC Skewers I found it easier to setup up by closing the lever somewhat loose and then giving it half a turn while closed to snug it up. I have never had a problem doing this. They fit tight with out any squeaks and it doesn't seem to be abrasive on the dropouts. I do inspect the dropouts each time I remove a wheel to make sure I'm not eating away any carbon.

madmole

by madmole

No problems with KCNC here

I hold the lever straight out, tighten the other end till firm, then push the lever over,

with all of the lightweight non click versions the thing is to make sure they go past the 90 Degree position so they release a little, then they wont come undone
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

HaroldC

by HaroldC

yeagermeister wrote:With my KCNC Skewers I found it easier to setup up by closing the lever somewhat loose and then giving it half a turn while closed to snug it up. I have never had a problem doing this. They fit tight with out any squeaks and it doesn't seem to be abrasive on the dropouts. I do inspect the dropouts each time I remove a wheel to make sure I'm not eating away any carbon.

This. I have no problem with my KCNC skewers. I actually find them really quick to take wheels on and off.
-Tighten until lever is able to close with a bit of force but not a lot
-Twist ~90 degrees CW to desired resting position

Just do the reverse process when taking them off: Twist ~90 degrees CCW of a turn and then release the lever.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Agreed! Today I did a descent at 42mph with these skewers with no I'll effects. They are just as strong as any other I have used including dura-ace and mavic's.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Thanks guys. I'd hate to give them up.
Having some work done to the CAAD today.
I'll play with the skewers tomorrow and see how it goes.

konky

by konky

Kcnc are very light and nicely made skewers that work well. They don't have as easy a snap shut function that the best Mavic or Campy ones have. It comes down to what YOU want. Heavy and clunky but easy use or lightweight and pretty, but a little bit more fiddly. Both work and are safe.

For a nice lightweight build I would always personally go for the latter.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

I've found that my Zipp Aero Ti skewers are just as easy to use as the Campagnolo skewers they replaced..
..just in case you give up on the KCNCs

They weigh 53g a pair..so not heavy either

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com