Success when switching to a more aero position on the bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roark

by Roark

Hi there,

I am going to begin to race this season, and I want to change a bit my position to a more aero one, lowering the handlebar 2 cm (drop from 8 to 10 cm). I am 33, 187 cm and reasonably flexible (if I bend forward I can touch the ground with my knuckles). Has any of you succesfully gone this way? What exercises can I do in order to get there? Maybe some core work would help? Emphasising the stretching after training? Any tips?

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Yes it s a good idea but you should mainly improoved the length of the top tub that will make you even more aero , normally when your hands are on the botom of the handlbar , your elbow at 90° Your knee should just touch the back of your elbow.

It s another story if you are using a clip on bar.

Good luck

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Check your saddle setback too. I've found a bit more setback helped me greatly when going lower in the front. Regular stretching should not be missed anyway.

eric

by eric

It is easy to lower the bars. Try it and see. Do 1cm at a time and spend a couple months getting used to it. You should still be able to use the drops effectively. I see some guys with bikes set up so they can not ride in the drops. Yes, they have super low bars, but they're not actually using them.

In the last 4 years I have lowered my bars 2cm, from 10cm drop to 12cm. I do hamstring stretches in the evenings. I can bend over and put my palms on the floor now. Not bad for 53.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+1 eric

I'm going through the same process right now and find the turbo trainer a great tool for experimenting with different positions. I dropped the bar 10mm last month and I'm about to try another 5mm drop this month.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I have recently started trying to stretch my hamstrings more but I doubt I will ever be Mr. Flexible. That being said I ride in the drops 100 of the time. The tops and hoods now feel awkward if I grasp them when I set off. When I first started riding 100% in the drops I had some minor discomfort on longer rides but eventually I acclimatized. However, I think the key to my success has been my SMP as it allows me to rotate forward and for someone lacking flexibility that helps a lot.

tommasini

by tommasini

Pratice the way you intend to play......

I've never taken on an additional stretching program - rather you work gradually to the lower position.

Since you want to give it a try, I'd suggest you go ahead and drop the bars - maybe 10 cm first - then be sure you are riding in the drops a sufficient % of the time - over time the added flexibility, strength in the lower position, and tolerance for it all will come. Then repeat again dropping things once again.

Eventually you should naturally want to be low - versus having to make a conscious decision that you must give it a try.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

You don't need to stretch or do core work. You *do* need to focus on your posture and relax your core. Your muscle engagement as you pedal will also change.
formerly rruff...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

And don't listen to any so-called cyclist that can touch their toes.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

WMW wrote:You don't need to stretch [...]

Of course you don't need to, but it's very advisable to complement just about any sports with some stretching ...

shjames96

by shjames96

Cancellara is probably one of the most flexible riders in the peleton, easily able to touch his toes, and I would trust him 100%.
Likewise, in my own experience, I was able to more comfortably ride in a much more agressive position after doing lots of core and stretching. I was entirely unflexible beforhand though, so I would guess there is a point of diminishing returns on comfort when increasing flexibility.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

WMW wrote:You don't need to stretch or do core work. You *do* need to focus on your posture and relax your core. Your muscle engagement as you pedal will also change.

And..........Bingo. :thumbup:

IOW words you need to find a position that works for you.
If you are by nature a flexible person then that may help but every person has a position that maximizes both efficiency and aero.

Doing gymnastic excercise to maintain or improve flexibity may well prevent muscular injuries or inflamations but there's no scientific indication whatsoever that it takes flexibility to perform better as an athlete.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

megalightman

by megalightman

As you're wanting to be aero, are you wearing a skinsuit when you race and have you covered the vents up in your helmet?

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Sorry if I'm going off topic here, but does 'flexibility' really affect how low of a position you can take?
I can barely get the palms of my hands past my knees when I bend over and try and touch the floor, yet I have a very aggressive position on my bike. Do I just have short arms?

eric

by eric

CarpetFibre wrote:Sorry if I'm going off topic here, but does 'flexibility' really affect how low of a position you can take?

It does for me, and I know some people who aren't flexible and who can't get their back down, or even use the drops in some cases.
CarpetFibre wrote:I can barely get the palms of my hands past my knees when I bend over and try and touch the floor, yet I have a very aggressive position on my bike. Do I just have short arms?

Perhaps your saddle position is forward of typical for road riders. If you simply rotate the rider position forward using the BB as the axis, like triathletes often do but not to that extreme, you can run lower bars without changing the hip angle.

Since I have long thighs and do a lot of climbing I have the saddle back fairly far (to engage the glutes on climbs). Getting a low position from there means bending more from the hips. To ride comfortably and make power like that you need sufficiently flexible hamstrings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com