My Lightweight rear hub has a problem...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Hi all,

I have a set of Gen1 Lightweight Obermayers and the rear wheel has been lying around for the past few months out of order - It seems that the hub is slipping. It start to slip when applying a fair amount of torque to it - so in the easier sprockets at the back while putting power down. It doesn't many any noise. I took it to the bike shop and they said they found some of the pawls stuck down - they cleaned it up and I tried it out again but it still slips just the same as before. I left it for a month or two and took it apart again today to see that the pawls are working fine. It's actually the whole thing that's turning, not just the freehub body.

What's wrong with it? is the bearing not seated properly? Is this repairable?

I bought these wheels second hand and rode them for about 2 months (including some serious racing) without any problems before this occurred.

Don't forget that the Obermayers have Tune hub internals and not the DT swiss ones that the Standards use.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Obviously hard to tell without seeing, but it could be that the axle is slightly bent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariocippollini

by mariocippollini

I think it may be a similar problem that I had with my second hand Dierl and Obermayer wheels with the Dura ace hub. The torque has to be transferred from the cassette body through the aluminium part of the hub to the carbon hub and flanges. This is a bonded joint which failed on my wheel (see picture). The more recent wheels must have a similar driveshell-carbon hub interface that is probably covered up by the disk of carbon fibre that is now found on the flange next to the cassette body on Gen 1 to current rear wheels.

Carbonsports said they could fix my rear wheel for about £150 but that was a few years ago and I still haven't sent it off.
Attachments
IMG_3459.JPG

mariocippollini

by mariocippollini

By the way, you didn't happen to buy them off a guy in Ashby de la Zouch called Brett eBay user name bvp1973.

He sold me my pair knowing they were broken and wouldn't refund me. I noticed he had a pair of Obermayers listed a wile ago so I hope the same hasn't happened to you.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Thanks folks. I think I'll contact Lightweight, or a dealer here in the UK about it. That'd be good if it's only £150 to repair, but we'll see what they say. @cippo, no I bought these off a different guy. Given that the wheel was absolutely fine for a couple of months then I don't have any qualms about the seller on this one. I think they're just old and need a bit of TLC.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Sorry to hear this, it is the internal hub spinning inside the carbon casing, get in touch with carbonsport repair.....they'll replace the whole hub.
Carbonsports are a great company to deal with, their after sales care is excellent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com