Finally the rim I've been waiting to talk about.Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

winky

by winky

fdegrove wrote:
What is however a fact is that an exposed rim edge is going to catch wind resistance.

Pace, ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. A too narrow tire on a wide rim IS going to expose the rim edge... So, just because it is narrow don't make it aero. In fact, if it is tooooo narrow it is unsafe for use, especially in crits or really any hard cornering.

So watch out. If the rim has an outside width of 24mm, and you want to use a tire a lot smaller than 24mm, just know your risks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vala

by vala

Got some 28h versions of these on route (well as soon as they arrive with the supplier), for some Hope Pro3 hubs. Going 2 cross front and rear with Sapim Laser/Race spokes.
How consistent is the ERD figure? Can they be trusted or is it best to measure for yourself?
Looking forward to it after reading this thread!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Does aero on a 26mm rim matter at all? I get that the tire/rim discussion is important because mavic did that plastic aero strip thingy to smooth it out. Their claim was that it was worth1.5 Watts at 50KM/H. So does that mean the discussion of 21mm vs 23mm tires is something along the lines of 0.2W?

ergott

by ergott

I've been working with 587mm instead, but it's very consistent. I'm a proponent of measuring myself. I might round differently when choosing spokes.

Weights are all between 442-448g with the decals (mostly 446 448).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

kulivontot wrote:Does aero on a 26mm rim matter at all? I get that the tire/rim discussion is important because mavic did that plastic aero strip thingy to smooth it out. Their claim was that it was worth1.5 Watts at 50KM/H. So does that mean the discussion of 21mm vs 23mm tires is something along the lines of 0.2W?

When paying attention to all the small details even a relatively shallow rim can be made surprisingly aero.
How much difference in Watts is there between a truly aero wheel and a shallow rim anyway? Can't be all that much but whatever is there to be had should not be dismissed.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kulivontot wrote:Does aero on a 26mm rim matter at all?

Yes. Rim depth is only one small part of the drag equation. Some U shaped 24mm Corima wheels performed very well in Tour's test. So did a lot of "everyday" wheels that had <30mm deep aluminum rims, so long as the yaw wasn't extreme. Very shallow rims with lots of round spokes always have high drag.

The nice thing about these PL23s is that they are rounded on the back, which is good for crosswinds as well.
formerly rruff...

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Very interested in this. I notice JRA is now listing them but the price is £88!

http://www.justridingalong.com/pacenti-sl23-rims.html

It might actually be cheaper to get them from the US at that price. :|

vala

by vala

MajorMantra wrote:Very interested in this. I notice JRA is now listing them but the price is £88!

http://www.justridingalong.com/pacenti-sl23-rims.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might actually be cheaper to get them from the US at that price. :|

I thought this as well. However once you add shipping and the charges by customs I think you wouldn't be far off or maybe even over the price from JRA.
Plus if there happened to be an issue with them it's a lot lengthy process to rectify.

JWTS

by JWTS

By any chance does someone have a close-up of the cross-section of this rim. I looks a little more pointy in the photos than it does in the rendering. I'm trying to decide between this and the Kinlin wide aluminum rim, and the Kinlin looks to be a little rounder...though it's hard to tell from the photos. Thanks!

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

I'm getting a pair of Pacenti SL23 wheels built with the new Chris King Shimano 11sp compatible hubs as an anniversary present (great wife!) built by Ergott. I should have them in late March / mid-April, so will post a ride report then. I will also post pictures at that point.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

And JRA do not know if they will act as a distributor for shops. I am waiting to here from them. Superstar won't either so If I want to start using them I will have to import as well. Well I suppose they are new.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

JWTS wrote:By any chance does someone have a close-up of the cross-section of this rim. I looks a little more pointy in the photos than it does in the rendering. I'm trying to decide between this and the Kinlin wide aluminum rim, and the Kinlin looks to be a little rounder...though it's hard to tell from the photos. Thanks!

The cross section drawings of the two rims in our review are both accurate, we made them from the actual cad drawings used to extrude the rims. http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ ... undup.html

vala

by vala

I've got a set of these hopefully all finished by mid week and am wondering what pressures to run. I'm 60kg in my riding gear and will be using Conti GP4000S tyres (23mm).
Can anyone help?

eric

by eric

For wide rims and 23mm tires I use about 5psi less than I do for 23mm tires on normal width rims.
I have no idea if that is "right" but it seems to work ok.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rroger

by rroger

is anyone carrying 32h yet, or are those coming later in the year?