SRAM Red - the definite thread, for all your questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

showdown

by showdown

Just got a response from Quarq regarding the use of the 2012 Red Rings on an old S975 Quarq:

We haven't tried that in house, but physically it will fit. You might need to rotate the ring so the drop pin would be in the wrong position. Make sure all of the chain ring bolts are torqued the same.

Best Regards,

Seems to be inline with what everyone else states. I think I'll likely just buy a new set of 2012 rings for the Quarq and sell the 2012 crank whole...

abuck55ru

by abuck55ru

I too am curious about compatibility between q rings and new FD/shifters. Anyone tried it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTKK

by JTKK

I just installed new Red FD and I'm also using Q-rings.
I have not been able to test ride it yet, maybe next week. When setting it up on workstand it shifts smoothly, much better than Rival/Force or 105 that I have on other bike. Although 105 work pretty well.

abuck55ru

by abuck55ru

Please let us know, there are a few people on here wondering

showdown

by showdown

FWIW,

This past weekend I too the bike out for two 80 mile rides. I had no trouble with the new FD and old rings on my Quarq. On this ride out of Chicago we always have a few SRAM employees- this time was no exception as there were 3, two of whom are engineers.

Examining their bikes was interesting as none of them were running full RED grouppos. None of them had the 2012 crank, two had old Quarqs and one had something I didn't recognize- it looked perhaps like Q-rings but didn't have any paint or labels...

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Have read of possible clearence issues with new red FD and Specialized cranksets.
Anyone know if it is true or not?
Thanks

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Andrew69 wrote:Have read of possible clearence issues with new red FD and Specialized cranksets.
Anyone know if it is true or not?

Not sure about clearance issues. This is from the Cyclingnews feature on Tom Boonen's SL4 -

"The one exception to the complete Red switchover, though, is the front derailleur since SRAM has yet to finalize new Red rings for Boonen's team-issue Specialized carbon cranks. According to Raby, that development period is nearing completion so we expect to see the trick Yaw-equipped front derailleur on Boonen's bike soon enough."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-tom-boonens-omega-pharma-quickstep-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl4

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm getting a new BMC SLR built up at the moment. I run Campag Centaur and Rotor Rings. Problem is the Campag FD won't sit high enough on the braze on mount to work properly but Shimano and SRAM do. So am going for the 2012 Red FD with chain catcher. Will be interesting and I hope it works ok with the shifters :noidea: It sure looks sexy as f*ck on there! Pics when finished

Mr.Scott

by Mr.Scott

I've mounted new Red FD on my addict and because I have a compact ring the braze mount on my frame is to high.
I'm not risking this 'on the edge' mount. I didn't even try it. Bad luck because it really looks awesome the new FD..
Could the FD-7900 have a better (higher) fit to my braze mount ??

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Right well it's on there, but it needs some adjusting. The chain rubs in the 52x12. Not sure if the shifter is strong enough to handle the spring in the FD, I have to keep trimmimg it up as it drops back everytime I trim it and starts rubbing again. Looks hot though!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hmm seems it doesn't like working with Campag shifters and round Campag rings (we swapped back to round from the Rotors) very well at all - oh well that experiment seems to have died a very early death :(

mgordon

by mgordon

Do you see what I see?

durkonion

by durkonion

No? :oops:

mgordon

by mgordon

Standard 5-bolt "New Red" chainrings!

adriano

by adriano

This custom built power meter features a much faster sampling rate than consumer meters to provide test engineers with more information

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com