SRAM Red - the definite thread, for all your questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

mgordon wrote:Do you see what I see?

Yes. The front derailleur's cable is all mangled and will probably fray. :evil:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

durkonion

by durkonion

mgordon wrote:Standard 5-bolt "New Red" chainrings!

Nope, just rotated. You can see the catch pin.
adriano wrote:
This custom built power meter features a much faster sampling rate than consumer meters to provide test engineers with more information

Well, that was in the bike radar article. I thought he was hinting at something hidden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgordon

by mgordon

durkonion wrote:Nope, just rotated. You can see the catch pin.

Damn. You're right. I guess in my excitement I didn't look close enough.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

mgordon wrote:Do you see what I see?

that sram testers use shimano spd pedals?

mgordon

by mgordon

OK... NOW it's real!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Indeed. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

does anyone know how to setup the chain catcher, seems like the chain can fall right through. I set it up so it doesn't rub the chain in the small/big. But the geometry isn't really as good as the K-edge. Big gap between the inner ring and the catcher.

Actually the chain did fall through (see below) and I was not able to grab the chain back up until I remove the catcher.

The chain dropped while going FROM small to big ring. It was dragging and then it fell off. Using older crank not exogram. Is the spacing on the exogram closer, because seems like the FD is going vertical rapidly? I still say ignore the SRAM line for setting up and setting the FD as low as possible, which seemed to solve the problem

adriano

by adriano

tighten the bolt if it can move enough for the chain to slip through.

durkonion

by durkonion

It shouldn't move at all. I can't see your picture, but you're using the set screw to adjust it, right? The bolt that goes into the derailleur bolt is just there to hold it on, not to keep it from rotating.

This is why it's a much better system than the K-Edge/similar. It doesn't rely on friction to keep it from rotating.

ngoclam

by ngoclam

VNTech wrote:
blantonator wrote:Great write up! One final question. I see you tested a Dura-Ace FD as well. If you have the <2012 SRAM Red group and just want to upgrade the front derailleur, which gives the best upgrade, dura-ace or new red?

Thanks!

New Red, I think. But only if you're a good mechanic, the Yaw FD is far more tricky to set up. Once you get it right, though, it works better than the 7900 FD with old SRAM rings (which is only a bit better than old Red FD with Red rings). Plus I imagine there will be aftermarket rings designed around the Yaw FD available later this year, so you can get the full system performance.[/qu
My FD is Sram rival, my crankset is Sram Force carbon, anh my shifters are Sram force carbon, too. However, my chainrings are Sram Powerglide 55 T time trial and 42T inner chainring. Could you tell me if 2012 Sram Red Yaw front derailleur will work with my 55 T time trial chainring as I really want to buy a new Yaw FD to solve my problem and get rig of my headage.
Thank you very much Caley

refthimos

by refthimos

Any updates on how the 2012 yaw FD works with Rotor Q-rings?

I have a Rotor 3d+ SRM crank on its way with Q-rings and will be using it with the 2012 yaw FD. I also have the 2012 shifters ready to slap on the new build, but Caley's research and article has me thinking that the new shifters were a completely unnecessary (and possibly counterproductive) purchase.

Curious what real-world experience Q-rings users are having with the new FD.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

PoorCyclist wrote:does anyone know how to setup the chain catcher, seems like the chain can fall right through. I set it up so it doesn't rub the chain in the small/big. But the geometry isn't really as good as the K-edge. Big gap between the inner ring and the catcher.

Actually the chain did fall through (see below) and I was not able to grab the chain back up until I remove the catcher.

The chain dropped while going FROM small to big ring. It was dragging and then it fell off. Using older crank not exogram. Is the spacing on the exogram closer, because seems like the FD is going vertical rapidly? I still say ignore the SRAM line for setting up and setting the FD as low as possible, which seemed to solve the problem

I used this video for setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEb8qjWI ... ata_player

I used a penny to check the height gap which they used in the video

The SRAM YouTube channel great setup video 7:15 for setting up the chain spotter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxu2vFFS ... ata_player

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I installed my new FD last night and took my time in doing so just to be sure to get the most out of it and also to better understand first-hand how it works. I haven't ridden it yet (so my feedback isn't really worth anything) but on the trainer it was absolutely fantastic. I can't believe how quickly it was picking up the big ring. After a TON of tweaking on my "old red" FD recently I'd finally got it to pick up the big ring reasonably quick - but for some reason my front shifting was always absolutely HORRIBLE on the trainer (as in; would not pick up big ring). This is an immediate improvement - can't wait to try it out tonight at the TT! 8)

ngoclam

by ngoclam

I am using 55T time trial chainring (Sram, Powerglide), and my crankset is Sram force, my shifters are Sram force too.
Can anyone please tell me if the New Yaw Sram Red 2012 Front Derailleur will work with 55T chainring. I have been having a problem with FD rival with 55 T chainring.
Thanhks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geedawg

by geedawg

refthimos wrote:Any updates on how the 2012 yaw FD works with Rotor Q-rings?

I have Zipp Vumas with Rotor Q-rings. I've run them both with the old Red FD as well as the Yaw FD. If you were at least OK with the old Red FD shifting with the Q-rings, you'll be happy with the Yaw. Shifting is vastly improved with Yaw and much quicker. No compatibility issues. Just a bit trickier to set up. But once it's done right, shifting is awesome. FWIW, I'm still running the old Red shifters and they work just fine.