Specialized S-works SL7 vs Pinarello Dogma F Comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pesto13

by pesto13

Hi guys I am very intrigued as I was at my LBS doing some service to my bike which is an SL7. While I was there I was speaking with the mechanic and other bike owners and at least three people told me that they felt better in the SL7 than the Pinarello. They basically said that the SL7 felt more alive when riding. Could anyone here that has had the chance to ride both bikes share their feedback?
The reason for this is I was planning on selling my SL7 frame to get a Pinarello Dogma F frameset. However, if the bike is not equal or better I don't see the reason why to switch.

Thanks in advanced
Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Newsflash - When your dealing with high end race bikes it's the rider that makes the bike and not the bike that makes the rider. Just like all the silly comments about 200-400g weight difference. It's all lip service and usually just armchair talk. Aero optimized makes the biggest difference regarding body position and equipment choices. I own a Dogma F12 and I've demo'ed an SL7 and in no way was either bike that different in stiffness or ride quality. If anyting the Dogma has better Geo for me in my size 53 then the SL7 in a 54. Narrow bars and a position that allows you to sustain your power and take on less wind are top priorities. Both bikes felt equal during out of saddle efforts when hammering or just tempo tapping a steep climb. Descending either bike will be razor sharp and feel like it's on rails. Rider skill is what matters. I personally love the look of Pinarello styling and the bike details and finish are mostly spectacular. Every Specialized bike I've owned has dissapointed me in one way or another. The only bike I loved from the Big S was the latest Stumpjumper trail bike. The SL6 has been the best road bike they made as it's compliance was outstanding and the bike felt lively and stll stiff at the BB.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

TLN

by TLN

skinnybex wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 am
Every Specialized bike I've owned has dissapointed me in one way or another. The only bike I loved from the Big S was the latest Stumpjumper trail bike. The SL6 has been the best road bike they made as it's compliance was outstanding and the bike felt lively and stll stiff at the BB.
I agree about some disappointment about my past SL Tarmac (scs chainstays), I'm happy to read about Stumpjumper, as in planning to purchase frame soon
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

pesto13

by pesto13

skinnybex wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 am
Newsflash - When your dealing with high end race bikes it's the rider that makes the bike and not the bike that makes the rider. Just like all the silly comments about 200-400g weight difference. It's all lip service and usually just armchair talk. Aero optimized makes the biggest difference regarding body position and equipment choices. I own a Dogma F12 and I've demo'ed an SL7 and in no way was either bike that different in stiffness or ride quality. If anyting the Dogma has better Geo for me in my size 53 then the SL7 in a 54. Narrow bars and a position that allows you to sustain your power and take on less wind are top priorities. Both bikes felt equal during out of saddle efforts when hammering or just tempo tapping a steep climb. Descending either bike will be razor sharp and feel like it's on rails. Rider skill is what matters. I personally love the look of Pinarello styling and the bike details and finish are mostly spectacular. Every Specialized bike I've owned has dissapointed me in one way or another. The only bike I loved from the Big S was the latest Stumpjumper trail bike. The SL6 has been the best road bike they made as it's compliance was outstanding and the bike felt lively and stll stiff at the BB.
Makes sense and the only reason for me to do the change is only in Aesthetics. What got me worried was the comments but as long as both are good bikes I am fine.
Thanks.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

It's not an F, but I know two people who have personally gone from F8->SL7.

One guy said SL7 is better, the other said mostly similar with small differences.

When I looked at their setups... the tire, wheels, saddle, and even bike fits were completely different. The rider who said SL7 was better was riding the wrong sized frame for the F8 and got the correct sized frame on the SL7. And moreover, he was going from rim to disc and he does not like descending so he prefers the disc. Multiple things conflating the comparison and so you really need to dig into the details with the finishing kit.

Furthermore, the geometries of these frames really start looking different when going smaller sized frame, too. Short, average, and tall riders all with varying torso/in-seam/wingspan lengths will have different experiences when transitioning between F <-> SL7. Especially after folding in bike fit requirements which is very individual.

I've ridden both F and many Big S bikes and it really comes down to how the bike was finished, and how the logo & paint job makes you feel when the bike is sitting in your room looking all pretty-like.

Then there is this guy....
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/09/review- ... o-dogma-f/

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Ronan from Cycling tips was getting blasted in the comments for spewing a bunch of nonsense regarding an out of spec frame which he didn't take the time to properly confirm or diagnose. He was called out by Pinarello Directly as well so they could look at that frame. Also commented about a flexy seatpost which doesn't exist on the F12 although they did streamline the Dogma F post so it's possible. Never once have I heard that comment on the Pina groups I follow so take that for what it's worth.
My build is an F12 with a 40x130 Most talon bar. Stack is slammed and the bike handles like a dream. Weight with pedals, x2 cages and Garmin mount and rear light is 7.6kg but it feels fast on everything. If I was to buy an SL7 I'd get a size 54 frame and run 10mm spacers under the stem and a 120mm stem and narrow bars. I'm 5'9" but have a long torso and arms. I'd be happy to own and race an SL7 but it's the most trendy bike around my area and I like Italian designed bikes. Also I paid $4,200 new for my frame so it wasn't the crazy prices that the Dogma F costs.
Attachments
image1.jpeg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would never pay retail for a Pinarello, but to be really honest, if i could get one bike / frameset for free, it would be Dogma F or BMC Masterpiece.
I believe Pinarello has great bikes, but the cost of them is so far off reason. On the other hand, many brands seem to have picked up same crazy ideal these days.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

skinnybex wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:52 pm
Ronan from Cycling tips was getting blasted in the comments for spewing a bunch of nonsense regarding an out of spec frame which he didn't take the time to properly confirm or diagnose. He was called out by Pinarello Directly as well so they could look at that frame.
Good to know this is how it's shaken out since the original post. Thanks for sharing. There's lots to wade thru in the comments.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

maxim809 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:41 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Ronan from Cycling tips was getting blasted in the comments for spewing a bunch of nonsense regarding an out of spec frame which he didn't take the time to properly confirm or diagnose. He was called out by Pinarello Directly as well so they could look at that frame.
Good to know this is how it's shaken out since the original post. Thanks for sharing. There's lots to wade thru in the comments.
Was it a coincidence that when things started to derail in the comments section of Ronan's Dogma F review that Cycling Tips disabled all comments in every article they released for the next week. I'd be willing to guess he was talked too about making sure his claims were validated. He went radio silent when owners started to say they've owned that same model F and didn't have any of the 2 criticisms he made issue of. Is any bike perfect ? Heck no. But to claim that a company has designed their top flight race bike with those 2 glaring issues would be a total failure. And I can guarantee the Ineos brass would never let that happen. I've also had my friends of Bernal say his frame is exactly what we can all buy with no difference in Carbon layup.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

My current project build will be the Cervelo Soloist with Sram Etap and 50mm wheels for Crit Racing. I'm much more comfortable risking a $2700 frame. I'll hopefully have it built and ready to ride by mid October.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

skinnybex wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:12 pm
maxim809 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:41 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Was it a coincidence that when things started to derail in the comments section of Ronan's Dogma F review that Cycling Tips disabled all comments in every article they released for the next week. I'd be willing to guess he was talked too about making sure his claims were validated. He went radio silent when owners started to say they've owned that same model F and didn't have any of the 2 criticisms he made issue of. Is any bike perfect ? Heck no. But to claim that a company has designed their top flight race bike with those 2 glaring issues would be a total failure. And I can guarantee the Ineos brass would never let that happen. I've also had my friends of Bernal say his frame is exactly what we can all buy with no difference in Carbon layup.
I'm not sure what you're actually alleging here? According to you:
* Ronan, an extremely reputable cycling journalist, measured his frame wrong. There is no evidence for this claim.
* Cyclingtips sabotaged their own comments section because a few people got upset in the comments.

Folks can believe what they want, but I'll take the word of a reputable cycling outlet with a reputation to uphold over a few Pinarello owners looking to defend their $13k investment. Perhaps the issue was specific to Ronan's bike. Either way, the whole debacle alone would steer me towards an SL7.

Also worth noting that Ronan was not "called out by Pinarello Directly" - at least not in the comments section of the review. Another Pinarello owner re-posted an email they received from Pinarello asking about the review.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

^^^ I could actually care less because I neither own the Dogma F nor will I own one in the future. What I will say is the F12 which I've owned now for 10 months and ridden 5,000 miles on has none of the issues that he says the F has. Secondly the guy spent half his year rehabbing a massive fracture he had so I guess he didn't spend the entire year riding that bike. Im sure he reviews plenty of bikes since he also had the Soloist. I base my facts on what I know and not some random cycling journalist. Not one mention anywhere ever about the F having problems with what he describes. We all know about the SL7 steerer issue because it was a proven fact. Take care and ride safe.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Would be nice for some source material.

Otherwise let’s stay on topic or something something.

justonwo

by justonwo

I own an F12 and have test ridden an SL7. Although I have way more experience with the F12, obviously, the Tarmac felt fanstistic in every regard. These days, we have an embarrassment of riches. Hard to imagine going wrong with a race bike from any leading bike brand.

Having owned and ridden many Specialized bikes for many year, I've always been partial to their designs.
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

pesto13

by pesto13

Thanks all for posting some feedback.

Based on what I read, the majority of the people looked more leaned to an SL7 rather than the Dogma and that was my impression at the shop the other day.

Even though the Pinarello Aesthetic is more pleasant for me personally I don't see the reason why to pay more for an inferior ride quality ( assumption based on reviews)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com