Stems and spacers - Anyone running a Thomson X2 at +17deg?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Had a fitting and bought a frame (Enigma Esprit, titanium with horizontal TT) - How best to deal with the recommended 30mm spacers...

Thomson X2 100mm stem / spacer combo:
+10deg, 30mm spacers
+17deg, 15mm spacers

Doing the maths either of the above options will work for my fit but now to choose which is going to look better - Anyone got photos of a frame running a Thomson X2 at +17degree (prefereably a titanium frame)?

tcramer

by tcramer

None of your options are going to look good :D :D

You will have to do a lot of stretching this winter like this: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-26074/

And then slam that stem! :beerchug:
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks for the link tcramer. Pretty flexible already but would rather be comfortable with 30mm spacers than slammed and in pain!
Might have to start a one man crusade against the slammed stem!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ew.....yeah, this is gonna be tough to pull off. I would have to say that the 30mm of spacers with the less vertical looking stem would look best to me.

What's the stem length recommendation for each?

fa63

by fa63

The correct option here would be to return that frame and get one with a taller head tube :mrgreen:

If you can't do that, I vote for +17 with less spacers; it will be lighter that way.

iamalex

by iamalex

quattrings - Don't worry, that was mean looking TT rig! Was good to see the 17deg stem on a bike.

btompkins0112 - A 100mm stem in either would work. Would make up the diference in fit by moving the saddle fore/aft a couple of mm.

fa63 - Custom version of the frame was an option but that was a considerable price difference for 30mm of spacers! Looking around I was getting a longer toptube than I wanted for the taller HT.

Was hoping the 17deg stem would work as well as on GGG's Baum you've both also commented on - pretty nice setup there.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, the difference is going to be the horizontal TT, I think. We shall see!

iamalex

by iamalex

Putting the design degree to good use, here's an illustration of each option...
(Added a cheeky 5mm spacer on top of the stem as per the ENVE recommendation).

Is there a standout favourite?

-

fa63

by fa63

btompkins0112 wrote:Yeah, the difference is going to be the horizontal TT, I think. We shall see!

I agree, I am not sure a positive rise stem looks as good with a horizontal top tube.

em3

by em3

Start here:

http://www.brightspoke.com/t/bike-stem-calculator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iamalex wrote:Pretty flexible already but would rather be comfortable with 30mm spacers than slammed and in pain!

...actually, if you have to ride with that many spacers and flipped stems, you are not flexible. Are you sure you have the correct frame size?

EM3

Rick

by Rick

The only thing that really looks good with a horizontal top tube is a -17° Stem. I know because I have one.
HOWEVER, I really wouldn't worry about lots of spacers. I ran up to 40mm with mine. It looks and works just fine. The only people who worry about the number of spacers and "slammed stems" are a small fraction of the WW crowd. :thumbup:

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

iamalex wrote:Had a fitting and bought a frame (Enigma Esprit, titanium with horizontal TT) - How best to deal with the recommended 30mm spacers...

Thomson X2 100mm stem / spacer combo:
+10deg, 30mm spacers
+17deg, 15mm spacers

Doing the maths either of the above options will work for my fit but now to choose which is going to look better - Anyone got photos of a frame running a Thomson X2 at +17degree (prefereably a titanium frame)?

Usually I'll try and match the angle of my stem to the angle of my top tube. It's really just preference though.

jano

by jano

iamalex wrote:Putting the design degree to good use, here's an illustration of each option...
(Added a cheeky 5mm spacer on top of the stem as per the ENVE recommendation).

Is there a standout favourite?

-

Less stem rise and more spacers looks a tad better, it also allows you to keep a longer steerer tube just in case you might need it later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

The correct option here would be to return that frame and get one with a taller head tube

+1

or get stretching

if it has to be one of those then I'd say the +10 option, then try to reduce the spacers as you become more flexible.