Hyperon Ultra Two vs Bora Ultra Two for all-around wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

Thanks for the detailed response tommasini. Much appreciated.

The wheelset is for a Scott Foil.

I think I'm convinced; I'm going with the Hyperons ! Another choice was the Mavic CCU but I want a wheelset that can be repaired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

On the other hand Bora would better match the Foil "aero" concept.

sawyer

by sawyer

For all round use - Boras

Hyperons are an aerodynamic disaster. High mountains only.

Bora rim shape is a bit dated - though still offers a decent aero benefit similar to C50s/Cosmic Carbones- but in other respects they are a supreme wheelset.

Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think ;-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think

Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

chocy

by chocy

For foil, definitely Boras

I just bought me a pair of Bora One for my Colnago. They are very nice set of wheels...
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45

sawyer

by sawyer

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Rim on the Boras is pretty light for a 50mm rim also. Factor in the giant stickers and the difference is less than you might think

Absolutely.

If you compare a set of Neutrons to the Hyperons you'll notice that they're exactly the same bar for the carbon rims of the Hyperons. I.e. fatter spokes on the driveside of the rear wheel and the exact same number of spokes all in all as well.
IMO, given the far greater stiffness of the carbon rim, they (Campa) could have done away with at least four spokes on the FW. Instead of this rather silly cross driveside/radial non driveside configuration of the rear spoke pattern they could also have reduced the spoke count and opt for a more clever pattern such as 2:1 as used on the Fulcrum version.
That would have shaved at least 40g off the Hyperons without compromising stiffness IMHO.

Ciao, ;)

Interesting ... wld love Mr Campagnolo to come out with something along those lines:

- 16 spokes F, 24 max R
- 30 mm ish depth, wide smooth rim shape
- carbon hubshells, CULT bearings

... c.1200g.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sawyer

by sawyer

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I'm sure you're not alone on that.
A temporary solution is to build something up along the lines of a Corima Viva rim and put big Campagnolo stickers on it.
Then go ride around in Vicenza with these. Hopefully they'll get the message...... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)

LOL ... I'd rather not ride 202s but Campagnolo have effectively forced me into that compromise.

Westbank

by Westbank

I agree that the Bora (or the Mavic CCU) would look better than the Hyperons. The hyperons might look too small on the Foil. I was able to try a set of Bora (not the Ultra Two) and I liked them. I would really like to try a set of Hyperons but I don't know anyone who has them.

Big decision :|