CarbonLord Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benz76

by benz76

Does anybody know anything about their full-carbon cranks?
http://www.carbonlord.com/cranks.html
They seem to be well manufactured, and at a very good price (thanks to $ to € change).

Thanks, Bye. Benz.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

One word, CRAP! Stay away, many people have had delamination issues, there junk.

Velocity

by Velocity

Those crank made in TAIWAN by GIGANTEX.
I used to import some for sell.
Its not as light as they claim.
For example,Some model like the "ALL carbon crank" that claim weight 380g a pair in fact its weight about the same or abit heavier than SHIMANO105.(weight could be vary around 10-20gr a pair!)

Otherwise nobody experience with "delamination issues" here. :lol:

Its good way to make your bike look cool with little money but NOT LIGHTER.

Its cost not more than 200$ here 8)
Buy it, If you like it.
Your money.
Your decission.

JTC

by JTC

I bought a pair form Carbon Lord a few years ago. I had a "bump" in mine when the chainrings were put on, but a simple filling of the spider took care of that (the ones I bought are not full carbon). Other than that I have had no problems. Be aware that the so called "Campy" taper is not really campy. Mine did not work with a Campy BB so I bought a JIS BB and it has worked fine. I beleive that the European taper for Campy is a little different than the US taper which might be the problem? Either that or the cranks are just JIS taper. For $200 its not bad, but I would just pay a little more and buy the real thing...FSA.

ks04us

by ks04us

But they do have a lifetime warrenty so you can try them out and if you don't like them then you can return them.

JTC

by JTC

That is true, but I am not sure if anyone has really pressed Carbon Lord to stand behind that.

Millen

by Millen

Very surprised to hear that these Gigantex full carbon cranks has QC problem. I have them on all my bikes and I like them very much. It's much stiffer than Tien Hsin(FSA) Carbon Pro Team Issue and just a little heavier at 445g for the arms.

Gigantex is a dynamic company which run by a young team that are always ready to help and back their products. If you are facing QC problems with them why not talk to Steve Lee(President of Gigantex) for solution. Personally I like to deal with Gigantex beacause unlike FSA I get the peronal touch instead of red tapes going through a complex distribution channel that never get problem solved.

I am sure most of the weight stated on many offical website are way much lower than actual. There's just no rules and regulation to stop this. However I always find that manufactures never lie about the actual weight of their products. It's the seller that's the source of problem.

As for price, we(Asians) are suppose to be happy when we enjoy much lower price for bicycle products in Asia. However it's never the same in America or Europe where there so much additional cost to add to the equation.
Not a real Weight Weenie but I like my bike lighter!

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

The cranks arent milled properly, people had issues with bb interface and chainring. Plus the seller is a scum dont expect warranty or refund.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Millen wrote:Very surprised to hear that these Gigantex full carbon cranks has QC problem. I have them on all my bikes and I like them very much. It's much stiffer than Tien Hsin(FSA) Carbon Pro Team Issue and just a little heavier at 445g for the arms.

Gigantex is a dynamic company which run by a young team that are always ready to help and back their products. If you are facing QC problems with them why not talk to Steve Lee(President of Gigantex) for solution. Personally I like to deal with Gigantex beacause unlike FSA I get the peronal touch instead of red tapes going through a complex distribution channel that never get problem solved.

I am sure most of the weight stated on many offical website are way much lower than actual. There's just no rules and regulation to stop this. However I always find that manufactures never lie about the actual weight of their products. It's the seller that's the source of problem.

As for price, we(Asians) are suppose to be happy when we enjoy much lower price for bicycle products in Asia. However it's never the same in America or Europe where there so much additional cost to add to the equation.

Youre correct the sellers the problem in this case.
Nothing wrong with Gigantex they make all the carbon based FSA stuff.

Superlite

by Superlite

Tim knows what I'm talking about. Heres a link to check out.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread/t-50628.html

There's also a bike review site that has around 30 people that have problems with the cranks and not being warrented, look around and you'll find it.

These cranks are JUNK! DO NOT BUY, LIFE TIME WARRENTY IS NOT HONORED!

If you want a great carbon crank you can get an FSA team issue for around $240 or less on ebay.

Millen

by Millen

Tim is right about FSA contracting their carbon composite sub-process to Gigantex but it's now no more. Their partnership turns sour with some patent issue. It's a long story.....

I am happy to see that Gigantex back their products well and always ready to help. I just don't get the same type of treatment with FSA.
Just like Giant, FSA is putting dealers at very difficult position in the name of marketing and sales figure.
Not a real Weight Weenie but I like my bike lighter!

nikh

by nikh

He has/had a bad rep on MTBR also...stay clear.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

JTC

by JTC

I do beleive that Gigantex makes a good product. I think in this case the seller is at failt as you said. My gut feeling is (just a guess and thats all) that Gigantex produces X amount of cranks a week and out of those X amount of cranks Y fail QC for some reason or another. That is probably where Carbon Lord comes in. He might be purchasing these Y cranks at very low cost that my have very slight problems such as the ones I have experienced. Then he sells them to us the buyer at a reduced cost. The warranty from Gigantex cranks that pass QC is probably a lifetime warranty, and that is where Carbon Lords warranty claims come in.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

Stay away from these cranks. The seller is very pleasant if you are going to buy but he is a complete dick when you try to get warranty service. My cranks (Campy BB) weren't milled properly and they squeak constantly when I pedal. It got so bad that my riding partner started to complain. Also, the spider is out of alignment causing the chainring to hit the front derailluer on every revolution. Sounds like a great product right?

Just buck up and buy the FSA cranks or the Campy carbon cranks. I found a great deal on '04 carbon Chorus for $324 at http://www.yellowjersey.org/bike_gear.html.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I'ts always interesting to see how rumor spreads. How each individual contributes to a variety of misinformation and judge of character.

By now, you must understand I am a one man business. Because of that, you can always contact me direct. I always post my telephone, (773)991-4057 in every ad as well as my email address carbonLORD@hotmail.com.

I am, and have been in the graphic and web business for almost as long as I've been offering Composite cycling equipment which is why I have a web site, http://www.carbonLORD.com I know, I need to update it for 2004.

I will start from the beginning, since a lot of you do not really know who I am. My name is Sabin West, born and raised in the city of Chicago. Rather then bore you, I'll get right to the point. Ive been offering Carbon Cranks for about 6 years now. I've been selling and trading parts since the early mtbr.com times and this has always been a side "business" for me, it was'nt always like that. I used to do it for my own personal builds and because I was good at it on the side, and with my persuit for web base work, I became good at it on the web, so I'd build my friends and family custom builds which were a bargain online. I found a retailer of these cranks who reside in Denmark at the time. I'd buy a few dozen at a time. Had a bunch of Carbon bicycles myself and speced them out with the profit I made selling the batch. It was a solid relationship which lasted about 2 years. In that time, I was always on mtbr, spouting off at the keypad against guys like D8, Tim from WI, Slyfox and a whole bunch of guys who I don't even communicate with any longer. This went on for years. Talking sh*t, dissagreeing, young guys acting up on the web. I always took it in good fun, although guys like D8 and Tim would eventually get pissed off and you get to a point 5 years down the road, and it turns into rumor and gossip on the Weight Weenie forum.

Like I said, it was never like that. I sell a genuine product. No ones getting rich or getting over on Cranks, beleive me. The last thing I would want to do is sell a poorly manufactured product and risk someone hurting themselves using it. There have never beem any delaminating issues while I have offered this product . I would not offer a lifetime warranty if I felt otherwise. I could mark them down and offer NO warranty, but I dont. I have served the warranty I honor to the terms and conditions as stated on my web site http://www.carbonLORD.com/cranks.html which again, I don't really have to offer a web site of a product, but I do, and it's there for you to access whenever you are curious as to the terms and conditions of that warranty. I even offer a crash replacement policy so if you mess up the product, I at least will give it to you at my cost, all I ask is that you return it to me broken, so my contacts can take a look at it and make it even better, which by the way has NEVER happened. You find me someone who has purchased my cranks that broke one, seriously, find ONE and I'll give you my business, you can have it. It's NEVER happened, so all this talk of selling junk, lets be reasonable. I know a lot about this business, beleive me. There are some things I can not tell you as per my conditions with the people I go through. I explain this dozens of times a day when customers email me. It's not me being sneaky. It's me protecting the interests of this small industry and me securing a product for YOU.

The weights I offer are correct, otherwise people like Eric Norris at CampyOnly.com would not write such favorable reviews of my product which fit what they are designed to accomodate and were noted as being lighter then claimed in one of his reviews. If someone has an issue with a component, again the warranty is in place for this reason. I see one member here I was referring to earlier who had that one troubled experience and without calling you out (you know who you are) I responded to you in two other forums now as well as your emails, so you have no excuse per the warranty inquiry, just your own stubborn pride for not accepting my reason for my late reply for your claim. Offer still stands, as it did thw 3 days after you emailed me (that 7 times in 2 days) when I responded.

I am sorry if anyone here who has really done business with me feels they did not receive what they expected, I truly do. But I do not see very many customers of mine here at all. I do see a lot of the same, shall we say "trouble makers" who I have known as such for many years, through many different forums. I will take this time to say to the few costomers which did comment, to JTC, you do have a Lifetime Warranty, whenever you would like to contact me about the bottom bracket issue, all you need todo is contact me. Rouge, I've contacted you enough, do the right thing and get off the soap box.

For non customer troublemakers of many years "Superlight and Tim", same old games eh chums? and for niks, the history goes a lot further back then gossip at mtbr 3+ years ago, and for anyone else out there who is really in doubt at this point, only other resource for assurance I have is good old genuine feedback on eBay, user ID carbonLORD, as it has been for 5 years.

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.d ... carbonlord

I don't think my rating would br perfect if I were selling junk that broke, and customers there have the option to leave a follow up comment for years after, incase anyone assumed there was a limited time to follow up. If you read this far and if thats not good enough, contact me direct or I don't know what else I can say.

Sorry for the long post and I am also sorry I had to go this far over the same crap guys. If you don't like what I have to offer, no one's forcing you to buy it but enough is enough. Tell the truth and be realistic. I hate having to write these long responses on every forum you bombard. I though we were over the childish days of mtbr?

Have a great season and I look forward to hearing from you all. Special thanks to the member who informed me of this thread and knows I am a good person. (I did not use spell check or edit this post so please forgive, all of you english majors)

Sabin West / CarbonLORD / 773.991.4057
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com