Gravitas Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:It will also look better with the aero cover on it

I was just about to ask about that, a picture with the cover on might be nice. :D

I thought there was supposed to be one, but there's been no mention of it - I'm beginning to think this is the final finished appearance.

I like it. Would look awesome on a Gaulzetti Corsa...

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Juanmoretime mentioned that the version without the aero cover was the weight weenie version in his earlier post so I presume that the cover must be making an appearance at some point. I don't know if Juan (or Ted for that matter) can confirm that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frans

by Frans

Bravo for the effort, since 06/07/08 we've seen too few small batch, boutique components like this.

This fellow (or gal?) should be encouraged.

Will I buy one? well....

From a fashion POV it needs to be installed on a Dogma3 (made that up) with SR EPS then it would look at a lot more cutting edge than it does with Utegra 6500 next to it.

I cannot see how tortional loads would be handled by these rods. They'd splay like a Japanese foldable fan (if that analogy makes sense).

artray

by artray

It looks better off the bike. It just does not look right . Maybe it will look better on a stealth bike .
I don't see any advantages to this design.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Frans wrote:From a fashion POV it needs to be installed on a Dogma3 (made that up) with SR EPS then it would look at a lot more cutting edge than it does with Utegra 6500 next to it.

I cannot see how tortional loads would be handled by these rods. They'd splay like a Japanese foldable fan (if that analogy makes sense).

Di2 9000 would be more cutting edge, but I see your point :wink:

Depending on the layup up the carbon, the rods could handle the torsional loads. If you mean torsional loading relative to each other then that will come down to the fixing points at the end (I imagine) which will tell us how well the design works.

cllrhodgen

by cllrhodgen

I loved the original proposed design, not a fan of these sorry.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108066

jano

by jano

It certainly is kind of an extreme design and not to everyone's liking.
One thing that it will sure do is to avoid having a material failure that would end with a big accident as I can hardly see all three carbon tubes failing at the same time!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

ditto.

cllrhodgen wrote:I loved the original proposed design, not a fan of these sorry.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

elfuinha wrote:here is a Picture on a bike, to see how it looks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

try not to close this one.!!!!!

Best regards

Well, they look interesting. But I'm not sure that they fit with current trends in design.

jano

by jano

veloflyte wrote:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

try not to close this one.!!!!!

Best regards

Well, they look interesting. But I'm not sure that they fit with current trends in design.

What is the current trend?
Anyway there are always products that are ahead of the actual trend, that shouldn't be the deciding point.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

True..true... As it's been said before....Everything is on the wheel. What goes around, comes around. My opinion will be just that and no more....my Opinion. I just like the clean lines of a smooth crank...like the Campagnolo UT cranks. Things with lots of nooks, crannies, and textures don't appeal to me as much. It's like the Iron Man movies...with Robert Downey Jr....I actually like the Mark II suit the best because it is smoother and cleaner than all the rest. You probably don't know what I'm talking about though...

jano

by jano

veloflyte wrote:True..true... As it's been said before....Everything is on the wheel. What goes around, comes around. My opinion will be just that and no more....my Opinion. I just like the clean lines of a smooth crank...like the Campagnolo UT cranks. Things with lots of nooks, crannies, and textures don't appeal to me as much. It's like the Iron Man movies...with Robert Downey Jr....I actually like the Mark II suit the best because it is smoother and cleaner than all the rest. You probably don't know what I'm talking about though...

I wasn't going to challenge your opinion, just trying to understand it better.
And BTW I agree about the Iron Man suit. :)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Any chance of a more full bike side profile? Just seeing the crank on its own doesn't show much.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

BikeTart wrote:

Any chance of a more full bike side profile? Just seeing the crank on its own doesn't show much.

You have to ask TED, i also asked for ND arm pic, to see the fixation, since for what i've seen the axle is splited like the sworks crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I too preferred the original design. I do hope that those that end up with these are happy. After following the fiasco on the past two threads I was left shaking my head.

I would love a review after a few miles.

Cheers and enjoy!