Gravitas Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theremery

by theremery

???....I think most of you are delusional.....that thing is HOT!!!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I see no other reasons to use this crank unless the weight and price is competitive (stiffness of course is a must).

Waiting eagerly for both numbers.
More than 10 years a Weenie!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

No aero cover wanted for me... I like it as is.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

yep, ugly. they look like the old caramba mtb cranks from the 90's. do they come in ano purple?

kgt

by kgt

Will be hard to keep it clean I guess. A toothbrush may help. :noidea:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

A toothbrush may help.

Dental floss more likely......... :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Juanmoretime wrote:It will also look better with the aero cover on it

I was just about to ask about that, a picture with the cover on might be nice. :D

It's definitely a 'marmite' crank, you either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be an inbetween, except for me, I'm still undecided! :lol:

I like the look of it on its own, but I don't think those chainrings suit it, although add some blue anodised chainring bolts and it might help things along a bit. I'm not sure that it will suit every bike either, but at the end of the day :thumbup:
Last edited by stephen@fibre-lyte on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

wassertreter wrote:Looking forward to see tests. If all it takes are three carbon rods (which presumably can be produced fairly efficiently in large quantities), then everyone who has been inventing new shapes, and investing in alu forging, or CF molding, has been overengineering it.

Over engineering carbon fibre, surely not.... :D

Actually, most mass produced carbon fibre parts are over engineered, we still have a fear of taking carbon to its absolute best because some silly person will do something they're not supposed to with it and seek compensation. Hence why small run boutique parts are super light, but the mass produced parts aren't (as a rule). Compare the first carbon frame weights with say a Storck Fascenario 0.6. We also don't know about the laminating in those rods, not all carbon rods are made equal :wink:

Like you, I'm looking forward to the tests and I'll pass judgement then :D

djconnel

by djconnel

I love it -- it looks functional, nothing wasted on needlessly heavy style. But putting it in such close proximity to an Ultegra derailleur is oxymoronic.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Not a fan of the carbon rods. Doesn't make full engineering sense to me to do it that way

scotty

by scotty

I think a set of Fibre-Lyte chainrings on that would look amazing..

robertg

by robertg

I agree on the Fibre-Lyte rings, that would really look great. I think that is a great looking crankset due to it's unique look. Ted didn't try to go for the same look of other cranks. I hope they live up the the hype performance wise though.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I love the cranks they have a sort of Terminator look too them but on a thin tubed Litespeed that has a titanium contrasting color they clash. They sort of have a bulky look that would be better on a fat tubed or tri-bike that has a darker color to blend in. But don't listen too the negative because thats what everybody said about cannondale bikes 20 years ago when fat tubed bikes weren't popoular. I'll be wating on that review too.... :mrgreen:

Pantani

by Pantani

[quote="djconnel"]I love it -- it looks functional, nothing wasted on needlessly heavy style. But putting it in such close proximity to an Ultegra derailleur is oxymoronic.[/quote]

Especially when the derailleur is definitely set up wrongly. But then perhaps that intended to be ironic as well as oxymoronic!
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

lechat

by lechat

Doesn't work at any level style wise. Just a cluttered mishmash of parts. Doubt it's any lighter or stiffer than a $350 Sram Red BB30. I guess exclusivity counts for something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com