0Gs+KoolStop+Reynolds = bad luck?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

divve

by divve

Something must have changed quite significantly with later models '05 ZG brakes. In an email by Jürgen from www.xx-light-bikes.de he mentioned to me that he can open his front brake almost 2cm away from his rim before the pads hit his fork. It isn't a direct answer but being able to set such a clearance probably does indicate a design difference in later generations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FelixOr

by FelixOr

what rim does reynolds use? their own?

yep, the produce their own rims.

Its difficult to see how the problem could be down to the pads as the koolstops are not particularly thick relative to anyone elses pads. The rim has to be a standard width too, so that suggest there's something wrong with the caliper or how its set up.

pantani, i already said it's NOT because of the pads, but because of the rim. the reynolds rims are bout 2mm wider than e.g corima rims, which should make them stiffer.

I have my 0Gs on Corima rims at the moment, with the Corima pads. I also have Reynolds rims and Kool Stop pads in Campy brakes on my other bike, so I did some measuring.

Corima rims = 19.8mm
Reynolds rims = 21mm
Corima pads = 8.7mm
Kool Stop pads = 10.7mm

So, it appears by using Kool Stop pads and Reynolds rims, one is requiring 5 more mm of brake free opening. I can set my 0G brakes up for that extra requirement, but only barely, so the combination appears to be not a good one.

thanks for the measuring! pretty interesting.

Something must have changed quite significantly with later models '05 ZG brakes. In an email by Jürgen from www.xx-light-bikes.de he mentioned to me that he can open his front brake almost 2cm away from his rim before the pads hit his fork. It isn't a direct answer but being able to set such a clearance probably does indicate a design difference in later generations.

hi divve,
i did not know this. thanks for finding that out. maybe i should contact ted from 0G and ask what's behind this?

krusty

by krusty

The design of the cam section changed from '04 to the '05 model. The '05 model has considerably better braking ability.

With new Corima pads in mine, I have about 3mm clearance between pad and rim with the cable completely removed from the caliper. They are fussy to set up, due to the relatively short throw and the lack of significant travel from the adjuster. They have very good braking though. I would put them on par with my Campy Records, but I wouldn't want to bend a rim on a ride. Instead of backing the adjuster off and getting a mile of clearance like on the Records, you would be faced with removing the caliper to ride home.